Tan to black interior: How to

Well Epikk3 asked me how I did this so I'll tell ya. Basically, I stripped the car of all interior pieces cause I cant stand tan. With help from here or was it Corral, I was told to buy Dupl-Color interior dye and a can of Dupli-color Adhesion promoter. Now, there are other types of interior dye (I hear the stuff from 5.0 Resto is the best) out there, so choose the one ya want. Now, take some RED SCOTCHBRITE pads (equal to 300grit and wont remove the plastic texture) and a bottle of rubbing alcohol and get to work. You dont have to sand down the panels that much, just enough to knock off all the old armor all/cleaners.

Now, I'll give ya some advice on a couple things that I found out the hard way. DO NOT paint when it is humid. It will "blush" on ya and you will have to scuff it up again. Couple light coats and you are done. ALSO, I thought that FLAT BLACK would be real flat so I painted the rear panels and doors using the gloss. It's a little on the shiny side and I should have used flat. The Dupli-Color flat black is pretty much a straight match to the upper dash, which I left untouched.

The only parts I bought before I attempted painting were the center console and steering wheel. Of course ya wanna buy a black steering wheel, cause over time all you are gonna do id wear the paint off. The steering wheel was $51 w/shipping courtesy of Ebay. I also bought a black carpet out of a wrecked stang. Think I got that off one of the stang sites. The red painted pieces were done by a member of Stangnet and he did a bang up job. Once I got the interior done my only dilema was the tan AC vents (fins) on the pass/driver side. What I did was (courtesy of Stangnet) find someone selling the black AC vents and center trim bezel (my center trim vents are busted) and bought them. Im in the process of painting those now. Well, here ya go,,,picutre time. Comments,,both good and bad are appreciated. Wade

MVC_837F.jpg

MVC_896F.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

This sucked!!!!
MVC_329F.jpg

MVC_331F.jpg

MVC_335F.jpg

Meet_April_9_2005_030.jpg

My lazy ass didnt swap out the door handles before putting the car back together. I have a set of cables/acuators/door handles that im gonna take the handles off of. Anyone want a set of actuators and cables?? Just pay shipping and they are yours/haaaa.

wytstang: Yeah, I need a shifter, but the tranny is on it's way out so maybel i'll let the tranny blow first.

As for how long this took? Well, I've been doing it piece by piece for a couple months. There was one month where it rained on both my days off for a month straight so that set me back. If you have weekends off and have the materials in hand I bet it can be done in two, maybe three weekends. Thnx for the compliments.

the pics you have posted...are those of the gloss paint?? i know when my bags blew... i took grey panels and the repair guy painted them tan, but not only did he paint them too light, they are now cracking where the mustang emblem is from honking the horn, and he used a real flat color... so i know i need something glossier.. im just wondering if the gloss black will be too shiny.. even though the top of my dash already has a helluva shine(i have two tone also) when i repaint mine, i want to strip the old paint... so in your opinion, will the cleaning method you spoke of be able to strip this paint?(i dont think he used adhesion undercoat) thanks...

Kyle, the Dupli-Color gloss black was a bit much in my opinion, but since it's only on the door panels and rear plastic I dont mind. The Dupli-Color Flat Black matched the upper dash pretty much exact. You cant tell the difference. I wouldnt recommend using the gloss on the bottom of the dash because its gonna clash with the top. Just make sure you use the Adhesion Promoter or else it wont stick to the dash to well.

I did the same thing to my car, but ended up just buying black panels due to the fact that the paint/dye started scratching off all the time, it was a real mess. I did the same thing with the rest as well, I ended up buying a new black carpet, the Summit racing black racing seats, while I was at it I also got some billet interior peices and painted my trim peices silver along with some white faced guages. I really went all out on it. The funny thing is, about a year ago I was browsing the 94-95 forum and saw this interior thread, there was this black interior with silver trim and it looked so badass I had to do it. A year later and it is all done, I will go and get some better pics for you guys in a little while.

harley02 said:
Kyle, the Dupli-Color gloss black was a bit much in my opinion, but since it's only on the door panels and rear plastic I dont mind. The Dupli-Color Flat Black matched the upper dash pretty much exact. You cant tell the difference. I wouldnt recommend using the gloss on the bottom of the dash because its gonna clash with the top. Just make sure you use the Adhesion Promoter or else it wont stick to the dash to well.

do you know the code over the bar code on the can... the ONLY black dupli color for interior i could find was dupli-color vinyl and fabric: code "VS 1 BLACK VINYL" i got the adhesion promoter, but there was no real choice of flat or gloss and it does specify dashes and door panels right on it...just wondering if your flat black code was similar...

droptopford 5 0 said:
do you know the code over the bar code on the can... the ONLY black dupli color for interior i could find was dupli-color vinyl and fabric: code "VS 1 BLACK VINYL" i got the adhesion promoter, but there was no real choice of flat or gloss and it does specify dashes and door panels right on it...just wondering if your flat black code was similar...
That is what I used the dupli vinyl and fabric spray in black. I wrnt over it 1st with a adhesion promoter, and toped it off with some clear coat. Once again, the only part on my car painted is the dash, but it looks really good, and is holding up very well.