Tauras vs Contour fans, installation...

fiveohwblow

Official Member
Jul 21, 2005
Hey guys I have a simple question. I installed a set of new 8 rib pulleys on my s/c '91 and it eliminated all space for my black magic fan. I have been doing some research via the search function and have come across two main types of Ford oem electric fans people have been using.

What are the main differences between the two fans in the title of the thread, and what is required to wire them? Do either have internal controllers, or do you have to buy an external one? I have not found a thread yet with a comprehensive "what you will need" with "xx" fan hence why I am asking.

Thanks a ton guys!

• Sponsors (?)

they both need a controller, well I guess you could just use a relay and a switch . . .

The only factory built-in temp sensor I know of is the ones of the late 90s mystiques.

The contour fan is 14" while the taurus blade is 15"
both are dual-speed (depending on years).

The contour shroud is also more flush with the flat line of the radiator where the taurus fan has those "valleys".

That also allows for the depth of the contour to be 1/2" less. I don't remember off the top of my head (like 3" something) but you can rotate both fans to place the motor to the side of the water pump/pulley.

they both need a controller, well I guess you could just use a relay and a switch . . .

The only factory built-in temp sensor I know of is the ones of the late 90s mystiques.

The contour fan is 14" while the taurus blade is 15"
both are dual-speed (depending on years).

The contour shroud is also more flush with the flat line of the radiator where the taurus fan has those "valleys".

That also allows for the depth of the contour to be 1/2" less. I don't remember off the top of my head (like 3" something) but you can rotate both fans to place the motor to the side of the water pump/pulley.

Thank you very much for that information! It was needed and much appreciated.

As for the controller should I choose to go that route, I have already been in contact with a couple of other members here and had a reccommendation. Are there any controller options less than $150 or so? I understand the relay and switch but no one wants to do that...

Thanks again to anyone who offers advice!:SNSign:

Dc Control would be the best way to control it IMHO.

Below that are Spal and FAL VSC controllers. They are less expensive than the Dc Control (Spal is cheapest IIRC).