Taurus fan install(in the process of)

• Sponsors (?)

67Dylan said:
The Taurus and Mark VIII fan share the same exact fan motor: ~100A on start up & ~ 30A continuous on low and a little more on high-speed. The DC Control would be a better choice since it uses PWM to control start up current spike and uses temp probs that can be tailored to the users desired on/off points. W/that, there is no need for a 75A relay. I've only seen one other company that uses something similar to the DC Control and nobody else. PWM is about the only way to control that huge 100A draw, w/in reason of course.

That other company would be SPAL. I have their fan controller and it is quite nice. Keep in mind that it doesn't work too well with our stock temperature sending units. Our instrument CVR sends voltage pulses that averages around 5V or so. This controller needs constant voltage readings and it causes the controller to go haywire. A simple upgrade to an electronic instrument CVR would do, or just buy their temperature sender and put it on another corner of the intake (if available). I tried using my stock one and it just kicked it in high right off the bat, so i'll be getting their sender and putting it on the passenger rear coolant port.

well, i replaced the fan motor and went to my car show, drove down in the morning with no fan since it was cool and the car ran 180* for the 35 mile trip. On the way home i used the fan, ran at about 175*, then got a little warmer and a little warmer. I dont know if im getting bad motors, but this one lasted the trip home and died, so I ordered another motor off Ebay since Ford only sells complete assemblies since it was a recall. So i'll try again.
View attachment 438055
View attachment 438057

iskwezm said:
well, i replaced the fan motor and went to my car show, drove down in the morning with no fan since it was cool and the car ran 180* for the 35 mile trip. On the way home i used the fan, ran at about 175*, then got a little warmer and a little warmer. I dont know if im getting bad motors, but this one lasted the trip home and died, so I ordered another motor off Ebay since Ford only sells complete assemblies since it was a recall. So i'll try again.
View attachment 437998
View attachment 437999

what suspension are you running front and rear?

Nice car. I use to have an unrestored 65 gt fastback and regret selling it. On the fan, are you running just the high speed circuit or both the high and low speed? If you run both at the same time on the Taurus fan the motor will overheat

iskwezm said:
View attachment 437908
View attachment 437910

Very Nice Stang

And Very Nice Lady.

You Lucky Dog.

Do you have any way to measure the current? I think part of the problem is that it's trimmed, the other part is that the radiator density looks pretty high and it's pretty thick. The more you load the fan from backpressure, the higher the current is going to be. The current should be abyt 35A once it's running. If the high current is the problem, you might get by with just the low speedI, the cfm drops at a lot lower rate than current, so the cooling won't change as much as you'd think. I've sold a lot of that same fan and have never had a bad motor. You cn get a factory replacement motor at autozone for about 75.00

baskin said:
Do you have any way to measure the current? I think part of the problem is that it's trimmed, the other part is that the radiator density looks pretty high and it's pretty thick. The more you load the fan from backpressure, the higher the current is going to be. The current should be abyt 35A once it's running. If the high current is the problem, you might get by with just the low speedI, the cfm drops at a lot lower rate than current, so the cooling won't change as much as you'd think. I've sold a lot of that same fan and have never had a bad motor. You cn get a factory replacement motor at autozone for about 75.00
as soon as i get the new motor,ill check the current draw.Do you know which wires should be used??? I have the black/yellow to ground and the black/orange to the relay output and the solid black just there.

I think you just found the problem, that'll make one commutator run the opposite direction of the other. Yel/brn is high, blk is ground and or/brn is low. You want yel/brn to the relay and black to ground

baskin said:
I think you just found the problem, that'll make one commutator run the opposite direction of the other. Yel/brn is high, blk is ground and or/brn is low. You want yel/brn to the relay and black to ground
I'll try that, i was going back and forth on the wires and it seemed to work ok,everybody that has done it,couldnt tell me the wires. When the new motor comes in,i'll change the wires and see what happens.

You'll be amazed when you hook it up correctly, it's a different motor, but it's about the same hp of the one that's used in the 18" lincoln fan, so if it cooled the car the way you had it connected, you should be in good shape with regard to cooling, the spec is 3800 cfm @ 34-37A

I must not have payed attention when you mentioned the wire colors, I see so many fans and the last fan I wired was the 5.0 fan and they have a plug in connector not wires like the taurus. But typically a black wire is ground and the colored wires are power. I guess im just too lazy to pop the hood of my car and take a peek..:nonono:

fastback brian said:
I must not have payed attention when you mentioned the wire colors, I see so many fans and the last fan I wired was the 5.0 fan and they have a plug in connector not wires like the taurus. But typically a black wire is ground and the colored wires are power. I guess im just too lazy to pop the hood of my car and take a peek..:nonono:
lazy bastid:nonono:

I think i tried that, but not sure if it spun the opposite direction.

its all a learning process.............................$$$$:(