TB worth it?

JPstealth

Nov 21, 2007
Nothern NJ
I know there have been tons of threads on this but I am just hesitant since I am a poor college student. :notnice: I have pretty much every bolt on except this. Its really not that expensive if the gains are right.

I do have a intake, larger MAF, and entire reichard racing manifold/plenum, from the previous owner. I know how the mani really doesn't help me being NA until high RPM's since it is for primarily boosted applications. So would a 75mm throttle body be advantageous to my set up or is it going to be that same maybe 5hp gain i keep reading about? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

With your other bolt ons, a 75mm T/B would net you about 5-10hp at this point. If anything, the Reichard Racing manifold and C&L MAF Meter is probably the bigger waste at this point...but I realize they were on the car when you bought it. If you're looking for any real power beyond this point, I'd start saving for a real power adder like nitrous or forced induction. This is what's going to make all of your other suporting mods you've got up till this point really shine! :nice:

I think a 75mm is too big for a N/A applications, you wont really see much gains you might even lose some power at the top of the RPM band (i think:shrug: so dont quote me on this) if you plan on stayin N/A just go with a 70mm i think that should be perfect

Hopefully some other stang members with a lot more knowledge and experience with such things will chime in :SNSign:

Dude you need to just buy a JLT cold air kit. It made a huge difference on my car. It relocates the mass air and filter into the fender. I felt a nice gain across the rpm band. I only have the 70mm tb, C&L intake, pullies, mac prochamber, flowmasters, 3.73 gears, and sct xcalibrator. You would really enjoy it.

I felt a nice gain with my Accufab TB and Plenum when my car was naturally aspirated. I went for the 75mm version btw.

Come to think of it, I still have that thing lying in my basement some where. Do you want it? PM me if you do.

I don't believe that a 75 will result in poor performance by any means.

Just received my accufab tb/bbk plenum that I ordered off of ebay :D Of course I went with the 75 due to the blower.

You certainly wont lose any power with a 75. I have a 75mm on mine, but that is becuase I plan on getting a blower eventually. If you plan on getting a power adder go with the 75, if not, I think a 70 shuold be fine.

There's no real disadvantage to going with the 75mm over the 70mm in this case. Flow will be improved (and probably warranted with that intake) and throttle response will remain as crisp as ever. Unlike OHV engines, modulars don't suffer negative side effects from large throttle body swaps. If you're going to buy one, go right for the 75mm.

Most SRT4 drivers suck. You should be racing them at the dragstrip. I had a "buddy" with a 350 fwhp SRT4 who wanted to race me back when I was N/A. I said sure, and we went to the local strip. He ran a 13.8 @ 110 to my 13.6 @ 104 :)

if your engines were running at 100% efficiency (N/A of course) the most cfm we will need at 6000 rpm is around 480-500. When I was looking up the flow charts for the aftermarket plenums and tb, all of them flow over 500+ (besides C&L...) I think this is why the 70mm vs 75mm makes no difference in N/A applications. I can't find any cfm data on the bbk 78mm though...