TC computer diff auto to manual

351wcoupe

Feb 13, 2003
Manhattan, Kansas
I was playing with the 88 TC which still has the 8UA and electronic boost controller.
Just wondering if the Automatic cars were limited to 10 psi? This was an auto car that I swapped to 5spd. I tested the gillis valve on it to make sure everything worked with extra boost. I don't want to buy/make a valve because I'm going to sell this car eventually so I don't want to put money into it. I have an LA3 that I could put in it until I sell it.
Will just changing the computers bring the boost up to 15 psi or do I have to change the boost controller too? Just looking to bring it up to at least stock 5 spd specs.

• Sponsors (?)

as far as *I* know... all computers in manual and automatic cars (of the same category... obviously a 5.0 and 2.3T are going to be different) are the same EXCEPT for the fact that the manual comptuers do not have the torque converter lockup.... i had an automatic computer in after my 2.3 T5 swap... no difference when i swapped to the manual computer a couple months ago...

ka0tyk said:
as far as *I* know... all computers in manual and automatic cars (of the same category... obviously a 5.0 and 2.3T are going to be different) are the same EXCEPT for the fact that the manual comptuers do not have the torque converter lockup.... i had an automatic computer in after my 2.3 T5 swap... no difference when i swapped to the manual computer a couple months ago...
dang.. Anbody have any ideas why it doesn't make over 10-11 psi? The Fuel switch works because whens its off "premium" it only makes about 6-7 psi.

The directions for the gillis valve said to get it as close to the turbo as possible..?? is that for accuracy or is that for the amount of boost?
So I'm asking does anybody think it would be possible to shorten/lengthen the vacuum hose to the boost controller and pick up a little boost?

And yeah I have 2 spare auto computers so I do have one to sell.

I would check out turbotbird.com or turboford.com if your still having problems. Lots of good information on those websites. In the FAQ on turbotbird.com there is a section on boost control devices and how the system works. That might help you out. Also I PM'd you about the computer.