TCI 6x automatic 6 speed transmission

kalvick

Founding Member
Jun 29, 2001
Norwalk, CT
I saw this in the M&FF Magazine. There is a transmission by TCI for mustangs with automatic transmissions. its a 6 speed tranny, with 2.97, 2.23, 1.57, 1.18, 1.00, 0.75 forward gears. It is called the TCI 6x.

Its capable of handling up to 850hp. and supports full manual mode with paddle or bump shifters. the website is TCI Auto - Performance Transmissions, Converters & Drivetrain Parts.

Now I know people that are into manual shifting a stick, are not fans of sport manual or paddle shifters, but I do LOVE a paddle shifter. I mean real ones like on exotic sports cars.

so tell me.... is this a REAL manual shifting automatic. like could I go from 4 to 2 or skip 1 and go strait to 2nd or something? I know on automatic transmissions with bump shifters, you can only go up or down one gear at a time and you can not exceed a gear that the computer refuses to let you engage. Is this the case with the TCI 6x?

next up is the price, its like $7,000 with your choice of shifter, and bellhousing, and the wiring/computers etc... Is this a good deal?

Seriously I want to jump on this sooooooooo bad. having a 6speed auto that can handles everything you can throw at it. I wish I had the money.

Also..... the paddle shifters alone are $560 bucks, Works with any automatic 4, 5 or 6-speed transmission controlled by the revolutionary TCI® Transmission Control Unit. Does that mean it can work on the stock automatic transmissions? and just goes from 2, 1, d, and overdrive? OR does it mean it requires any aftermarket 4, 5, 6 speed tranny?

So what are your guys opinion on this?

• Sponsors (?)

Because it's based on GMs 4-speed 4L80E and is not a dual-clutch style trans I wouldn't expect F1-like shifting from "paddle shifters" (which, FWIW, annoy me more than words can say...)

Read this post:

NastyZ28.com - View Single Post - TCI 6x 6 speed auto

about how TCI must be using the OD clutch packs to achieve 6-speeds in a 4-speed case. This just doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

As well, top gear is a relatively short 0.75:1. This is going to result in some serious revs on the highway, even worse if you've got short final drive gears.

I'm sure TCI has tested this thing but would the benefits really outweigh the potential and actual shortcomings?

Check out the FAQ on the TCI web site:

http://www.tciauto.com/WhatsNew/Files/6xfaq.pdf

Many of your ?'s are answered.

FWIIW, I am having trouble deciding on which direction this post is really going in order to answer your questions. Are you really after the paddle shifters? Are you trying to find out what is involved with adapting a set of padel shifters to a stock transmission?

Or are you trying to find out if the TCI 6x will work with a stock PCM?

OBTW, the answer has to be no. The stock PCM completely controls the shift points of the automatic. Therefore, the PCM must have hardware and know the number of shift solenoids. Going from a 4 speed to a different speed transmission would require a different PCM and calibration.

Hence the reason that automatic shift duties are moved to an external box. The external box needs a TPS signal and a RPM signal.

Are you really after the paddle shifters? Are you trying to find out what is involved with adapting a set of padel shifters to a stock transmission?
Or are you trying to find out if the TCI 6x will work with a stock PCM?

well actually both..... If its real paddle shifters from an F1 car with this transmission that I would be all over this. even a bump shifter would make me quite happy. Actually anything to make me feel like i have more control over my car would be a god send.

but if the paddle shifters alone could be adapted to the stock transmission, I dont really understand how it would work, even with the external computer.
i mean no matter how you look at it, even with an external computer. the transmisson is only physically capable of shifting from 2 1 d and over drive. which is kind of retarded. So i was wondering if i was missing something.

in any case, now i know its not true style f1 shifting, im depressed :(

but if the paddle shifters alone could be adapted to the stock transmission, I dont really understand how it would work, even with the external computer.
i mean no matter how you look at it, even with an external computer. the transmisson is only physically capable of shifting from 2 1 d and over drive. which is kind of retarded. So i was wondering if i was missing something.
You are missing something.

Consider that the 4R70W is an electronic transmission. In that regard, the duties of when and to what gear to shift to are in complete control of the PCM.

So the duties of shifting could in theory be transferred to an external controler.

Now of course it is not possible to turn a 4 speed transmission into a 6 speed unit with an external box.

Are you serious about this? I suspect that you really don't want total control of shifting duties unless this is a dedicated race car. Consider in a production car with paddle shifters, the car's brain still over sees the gear choices to prevent the operator from choosing stupid gear choices that could damage the drive train.

While I am not aware of an "off the shelf" solution, my gut tells me it is out there.

FWIIW/IMO, it would be cheaper to trade your automatic stang for a manual one.