Tcp Rack Install Question

68keyblr

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Mar 17, 2003
Arizona
We are installing a TCP manual rack on a '68 Mustang. I am ready to install the new shaft and bearing cap on the end of the steering column. The inner tube sticks out past the outer tube by about 1/2". The instructions mention pounding the inner tube in until it is flush with the outer tube for 1970 models only.

Do I need to pound in the inner tube to be flush with the outer tube?

• Sponsors (?)

Been a few years since I installed the rack on my 69.. Should be the same directions for 68. Can you post a pic of what you are talking about?

I don't remember having to pound anything together. I just cut the column tube down a little bit and slipped the bearing over the end.

That extra step that says 70 only is probably because the 70 steering column is different if I remember correctly, the ignition key is on the column and there is a steering wheel locking feature like on new cars.

I dont recall mine looking like that. I believe the tubes slip in and out of each other as part of the collapsible column safety feature. I would call TCP and ask them, I have had excellent customer service with them as long as you call. If you email, still get great help, it just took a couple days for them to reply. You might have to send them that picture.

Mine fit snug.. I think I tapped it on with a mallet but don't remember. If its tight, try sanding the outside of the column lightly to remove excess paint and see if it fits better.

Yes, as j69302 said, the sleeve on the inside needs to be pushed back. It should go back into the column without much effort.

Also - was the bearing on the end cap a *very* tight fit over the shaft? Mine is really right and I'm hesitant to start forcing it on.

Jeff, is that you? I think I replied to your email yesterday but I will post my response here in case anyone else is looking.

The steering shaft should be a very tight fit in the bearing. If you have to tap it on, that wouldn’t be unusual. However, if it seems like you would have to abuse it, that is obviously not right. I would check to make sure there are no burrs on the bearing surface. If there are, they can be removed with a bit of emery cloth. I wouldn’t be averse to putting the shaft in the freezer and the bearing in the sun for a little while.

In a situation like this our super tight production tolerances might make it appear that something is not working. However, if something has to be forced, that's probably not right either. As always, don't hesitate to call us. My direct extension is 247. If I don't have the answer, I can get it for you pretty quickly.

~Carl

Quick update - got the rack installed in the car and it is in the alignment shop right now. The wheel wasn't all that hard to turn even in slow/tight parking. My 65 yr old mom was able to park it just fine. Steering was extremely precise! I'll give a full report tomorrow when it is out of the alignment shop.