Team Continental Driver Training at P.I.R. - May 25

I have been doing open track days for 5 years or so. I feel the key to success, is taking it very slow and learning to be smooth. Brake, accelerate, and shift smoothly. I haven't mastered heal and toe downshifting, and I will not try it on the track. I will practice that on the street with my daily driving to get it down before trying it on the track where if I don't get it right, can upset the car. I feel it is best not to try new techniques (unless you are trying to shift or brake hard while in the corners) until one gets some track experience. I have seen many cars crashs due to inexperience and not being smooth.

• Sponsors (?)

03SHKR said:
See. Now, I don't get that. How did he do that? Not that it matter, but I got Novice Eligible. To get it, you have to pass two schools.

I know he did good. So, either he's done this before (???but he was in Group 1???), or he bribed the instructor, or Team Continental screwed up.... :D

Which was it???

Nope, 1st time out, no bribes! I think it had to do with shaving 6 secs per lap off each of my last 3 laps that jack timed! :D

Rogue Cobra said:
Cool, will do. Is there anything going on this weekend?

Man, that ride in the RX7 was awesome!!! I had a death grip on the rollbar, but I loved it. He was really pushing that car. :nice: :D :D :D :D

Patrick, your instructor's brother told me and Keith about a new track they are involved in going up in Grass Valley. They are planning a cruise up to the site on Monday. Check out this website and click on "Memorial Day".
http://www.oregonraceway.com/

This experience was awesome. Pretty amazing how much fun this was. I have a better appreciation of what it takes to race professionally. Still hard to imagine what it’s like going down the front straight into the chicane at 190mph. Holy ****. I did 120mph and damn near caught the brakes on fire. Not a good feeling when a corner worker waves the “meatball” flag and a fire extinguisher at you. I’m glad it was nothing serious. Time for cooling ducts. I’ll also look at the bearings.

The morning events in the parking lot were fun as hell. The fast slalom was really the first time I pushed my car in a corner that hard. I got a little cocky and hit two barrels. Luckily, it only scraped the fake scoop on the passenger side.

Hopefully next time the ladies in the Saturns and Del Sols will be in a different group.

I’m still working on the vids and pics. They’ll be posted in here hopefully later tonight.

03SHKR said:
It's a real shame, too. I don't know if I have the story down. But, when I talked to Jim, I think he said he had been coming through the turn in 3rd gear. And the instructor said he could use 4th. Anyway, something about shifting when coming into the corner, his rear wheels either locked-up, or he got wheel-hop. And this sent him out of control. When he got onto the grass, it was like skating on ice. The pictures say the rest....
I talked to Jim tonight. He said he is fine. No headaches, or bruises or anything. He also said his instructor emailed him to make sure he was doing OK.

Jim also said he's had time to think about it. And after slowing down coming into turn 10, he's convinced he over-accelerated in the begining of turn 10 and broke the rear tires loose. He said he mashed the gas peddle instead of easing onto it.

He said the radiator is not leaking any fluid. So, the damage may not be as bad as he thought. But, they still have to take the front apart to be sure.

Here are the pics from the track walk

Front straight looking east.

Front_Straight.JPG

Chicane entry

Entry_Chicane.JPG

Entry_Chicane2.JPG

only 120 keith? lol just kidding i would think you guys would be in te 130 range in to the chicain cuz my bmw you know the auto was hitting 110 just before i brake at the 400 mark but i was complaining that th ecar can go deeper but the insturctor didnt want to/ me to