Terminator or GT500?

cronin49

Banned
Aug 12, 2003
SC
See my sig please. I have never run against a terminator, not seriously at least, but have beaten a GT500 on the street up til the top of 3rd@ around 95 mph, where we both had to get out of the gas.
I know the GT500 has a lot more HP than the Cobra, but they also weigh almost 4000lbs, a lot more than the Cobra.
Last year, I ran a 12.41@113 before I got the boot because I own a vert. I know what all the mags say, but in the real world, which car really is faster on the street and the strip??
I know this is a broad quustion, but I would like to hear some opinions from you guys who really know what's going on.
Personal encounters would be excellent.
Thanks Bros.

• Sponsors (?)

with stock cars, even though there is added weight to the gt500 i pretty sure it is still the faster car. however, on the street with street tires there is only so much usable hp before the tires are of no use from a stop or slow role. in that sense i guess it could be fairly close. however, from a faster role or once the cars get traction and moving from the stop i think the gt 500 just has too much power.

at the track its all about traction and suspension so that can be different every car and how its set up.

Cobras are faster by a little bit in the 1/4 mile. GT500 handles a bit better, are more refined, and has more top end, but the weight just kills them. The cobras actually have a better motor, and can take an absolute beating.

I know we are quicker but I thought Termis grip was better with a higher G load over the GT500 :shrug:
Your time is what a Stock Termi can do with an EXCELENT driver. With very few bolt ons they can run that with the worst driver out there and the TC on :nice:
I havent run mine in the quarter yet but I know I can pull a length on a new Z06 with the tires breaking loose all through third :D

Cobras are faster by a little bit in the 1/4 mile. GT500 handles a bit better, are more refined, and has more top end, but the weight just kills them. The cobras actually have a better motor, and can take an absolute beating.

Cobras and GT500s ran the exact same times with Evan Smith but I think the GT500 trapped a little higher. The problem with the Shelbys is that they wheel hop bad and still most owners can't drive them. The GT500s have killer motors and respond to mods better too. Look how many Shelbys are making 700-800rwhp with the KBs and Whipples. A Cobra is pushing it after 550-600rwhp and John Colletti said that, the rods are the weak link in the Cobras. Plus 5.4 > 4.6

I know we are quicker but I thought Termis grip was better with a higher G load over the GT500 Your time is what a Stock Termi can do with an EXCELENT driver. With very few bolt ons they can run that with the worst driver out there and the TC on. I havent run mine in the quarter yet but I know I can pull a length on a new Z06 with the tires breaking loose all through third

The Z06 tires were braking loose right? A new Z06 would rape you (no offense). My buddy's brother-in-law bought one this year and we got to line them up a few months ago and the race was dead even. We raced 4 times from 20-120mph and I won two and he won two but all wins were with in a car. My car would hurt your pretty badly with those mods.

Personally, I think the GT500 is the faster car but, it will have a lot to do w/ the drive mod as well. Both have to be driven a bit different to get the max performance out of them IMHO.

The only reason the gt500's are making that kinda power is because of the displacement. The cobras come with Manley rods and pistons. The gt500 comes with crack forged junk. Granted they make power, if they were built like the termi motors they would be unstoppable.

The only reason the gt500's are making that kinda power is because of the displacement. The cobras come with Manley rods and pistons. The gt500 comes with crack forged junk. Granted they make power, if they were built like the termi motors they would be unstoppable.

Uhh you might want to get your facts straight bud. Do you realise Evolution Perfomance has went 8's with 1000+rwhp on a 100% stock bottom end? Not to mention that was on a motor they had been beating the piss out of for two years. Yea that seems real weak dude. Sorry but these motors were built just as strong if not stonger than the Cobra Motors.

Uhh you might want to get your facts straight bud. Do you realise Evolution Perfomance has went 8's with 1000+rwhp on a 100% stock bottom end? Not to mention that was on a motor they had been beating the piss out of for two years. Yea that seems real weak dude. Sorry but these motors were built just as strong if not stonger than the Cobra Motors.

Hey BUD, I don't remeber ever saying that the 5.4 in the Shelbys didn't make power. And yes I do read a magazine from time to time, and I do realize that Evolution Performance has always had one of the fastest GT500's around. I simply made a statement about the differnt rods in these two motors. Do you know the differences in the manufacturing process of the two? If so you should know that the cracked forged rods in the shelby are not a fully forged item such as the one's in the terminators. So Sorry, didnt' realize that you were here trying to school me while there was a friendly discussion going on.:notnice: So lets start fresh.

the termi is actually faster stock for stock to he gt500. I remember watching a test from some magazine. and the gt500 has a faster 0-60 but the termi pulled up top and one 1/4 mile. the gt500 did better around a track too but for drag racing termi is what i would go with. gt500 is a boat.

vtec yo

1606_7lo.jpg

Attachments

• 1606_7lo.jpg
    1606_7lo.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 529
What are your goals for the car? What are you looking to get out of it?

How much money are you wanting to spend?

If performance per dollar is all you are looking for I would say go with the 03-04. :nice:

The GT500 is a much nicer car, but you pay for it. If money is no object, then go for the GT500.

Cobras and GT500s ran the exact same times with Evan Smith but I think the GT500 trapped a little higher. The problem with the Shelbys is that they wheel hop bad and still most owners can't drive them. The GT500s have killer motors and respond to mods better too. Look how many Shelbys are making 700-800rwhp with the KBs and Whipples. A Cobra is pushing it after 550-600rwhp and John Colletti said that, the rods are the weak link in the Cobras. Plus 5.4 > 4.6

The Z06 tires were braking loose right? A new Z06 would rape you (no offense). My buddy's brother-in-law bought one this year and we got to line them up a few months ago and the race was dead even. We raced 4 times from 20-120mph and I won two and he won two but all wins were with in a car. My car would hurt your pretty badly with those mods.
Rape? No. I like you so im not gonna beat you up :p
Seriously though, I only have mabey 30 horses over a new Z06 and prolly weigh 400lbs more.
On SVTP I see that Termis at my power level with DRs and a good driver run high 10's. Also 2-3 gear pulls on my car are just insine :nice:
We were on a closed track :D We were both doing 60 and I put it in third to wait for the three honks (which he was doing). I didnt jump and we nailed it about the same time. I very rapidly palled one car on him then slowly added another length in the first part of fourth. By the top of fourth he was at my rear bumper and we stopped. I know in 5th he woulda passed me. The dude was cool as hell and said he was not expexting that. He said he was watching my tires breaking loose all through 3rd as were his but couldnt believe I was able to pull on him. He said that was a real win cause he didnt miss shift and knows I didnt jump and he had his TC off as well. He said he hates most Mustangs and had no respect for them but now he said hes anxious to run other Cobras and that I wasnt the "typical cocky" Mustang owner :nice:
Really though I have met a couple douches around here with Stangs that think they will kill anything so I can see where hes comming from. I am used to F body guys being dicks too but every once in a while you meet a cool one :shrug:
I bet off the line he woulda pulled a length and held it on me but he will not rape me. My car builds sooooo much torque by 2 grand that it really pulls like a freight train :nice:
And yes, my car will break the tires loose at 100mph and they are VERY sticky Pilot Sport IIs in 295 out back. They contact patch is exactly 12" wide :banana:

Hey BUD, I don't remeber ever saying that the 5.4 in the Shelbys didn't make power. And yes I do read a magazine from time to time, and I do realize that Evolution Performance has always had one of the fastest GT500's around. I simply made a statement about the differnt rods in these two motors. Do you know the differences in the manufacturing process of the two? If so you should know that the cracked forged rods in the shelby are not a fully forged item such as the one's in the terminators. So Sorry, didnt' realize that you were here trying to school me while there was a friendly discussion going on.:notnice: So lets start fresh.

I'm not trying to start a war here but you keep saying how the motors are weaker than Cobras. Whether the Shelby’s have "weaker" forged rods doesn’t mater because look how much power they are making. How many Sheblys have you heard of blowing a motor for any reason? That’s right, none or very few at least. I think I read of one and that was just because a guy had a s***ty tune and fried a piston. If the motor can handle the power reliably it doesn't matter what the internals are made of.

A weaker motor in my eyes is one that can't handle the power the previous one did and from what I've seen the Shelby has surpassed the 03/04 Cobra by quite a bit.

What are your goals for the car? What are you looking to get out of it?

How much money are you wanting to spend?

If performance per dollar is all you are looking for I would say go with the 03-04. :nice:

The GT500 is a much nicer car, but you pay for it. If money is no object, then go for the GT500.
:stupid: I drove a GT500 and I thought it was so comfertable and quiet and fast to boot. My Termi is nice but nowhere near the comfort and nice ride of the GT500. But Termis can be had cheeply and if you spent another 10K on suspension and a twin screw you will have ALMOST no cars to fear on the road. Really the only compitition under $150K would be a ZR1, GTR Skyline and mabey the new CTS-V but I think a 600rwhp Termi will take thoes cars too but I am biased :shrug:

I'm not trying to start a war here but you keep saying how the motors are weaker than Cobras. Whether the Shelby’s have "weaker" forged rods doesn’t mater because look how much power they are making. How many Sheblys have you heard of blowing a motor for any reason? That’s right, none or very few at least. I think I read of one and that was just because a guy had a s***ty tune and fried a piston. If the motor can handle the power reliably it doesn't matter what the internals are made of.

A weaker motor in my eyes is one that can't handle the power the previous one did and from what I've seen the Shelby has surpassed the 03/04 Cobra by quite a bit.
I remeber that. Dude was making like 20 lbs of boost and had a crap tune and grenaded the motor. Yeah the GT500 has a stout block. Really I think the Termis and GT500s are almost identical when it comes to how much power they can make on the stock bottom end :shrug: I could be wrong and the Termi has been around longer for more development. I know the big problem with the GT500 is belt slippage cause the way Fodr designed it so that people wont try to overspin the SC like us Termi owners do. :rlaugh: But I see companies are figuring it out. The GT500 is a beautiful machine but I love my Termi. I love having that IRS and with my suspension mods she is just too fun on the twisties :nice:

0-60 is not really finding out what the faster car is, its just telling you who has better traction. plus mayn cars times 0-60 including regular cars with factory 300 hp or so have very similar 0-60. you can not really tell until a higher hp car goes from 40-100 that the car is high power.

i mean you will be faster than a maxima or 350z by like a nose to 50 or 60 but will really pull away from 40-100

I also saw a vid of the the two duking it out. The gt500 was faster on lap times but the termi was faster by a tenth in the 1/4. For the price of a gt500 you could get like 3 termis. I would personally rather have the termi.