test drove an 01 cobra vert today..

Green4.6GT

Size Matters
Founding Member
Dec 31, 2001
Regina, Sask, Canada
at saturn, not sure if i like it or dont...

anyways, heres the car..

car is a buyback lease..

yellow 01 vert, black/black interior, look like aftermarket seat covers (not covers actually re covered) they have a grey suede(or something) middle.

80 xxx k

paint, decent, some dings in the bumper etc, front drivers 1/4 has been repainted, the salesman said saturn didnt do it, but they bought it from ford so ford might have, or the previous owner. (overspray on the inner fender behind the shock, and the wheel well, not major, if i didnt work at a body shop and stare at things like this all day long i prolly wouldnt have noiticed.

interior, all in very good shape, top is also in good shape...

under the hood i noticed a few things, first of all the valve covers are bubbling and peeling (wtf, did ford have problems with this) or maybe its been beaten on and overheated?

also in the inner fender on the same side as the sprayed fender, there is a weld thats rusting, possibly from a repair and it wasnt properly painted, not a big deal but makes you go hmmm...

wheels, some curb marks, but all in all not bad..

tires..saturn installed brand new venturis, stock size (sp?) so this also makes me wonder about a beating, no way it should need new tires in a few yrs('01)

took it for a drive, drives nice, no rattles or squeaks, top seals well(no road noise), rides nice, appears to be 100% stock, drives straight...

got to beat on it, first thing i noticed **** DO I HATE WHEEL HOP..
mustang IRS is officially on my **** list, shook the car like it was going to fly appart...

other than that, pulled strong, poor tires dont have much grip but oh well, neither did my 18s on the 96 so i guess im used to it.

he also mentioned that they replaced all 4 rotors and pads(car is pretty new hmm)

sorry no pics it was kinda dark... anyways

they want 29,987(cdn) so i'm thinking thats a bit high also...

anyways i'm going back on sat, they are going to give it to me for the day so i can go get a mechanic to check it over etc... and i have to wait and see how much SGI is giving me for my car before i can do anything.

• Sponsors (?)

The seat covers are likely stock.

There is 80,000 km's on the car? That is alot of km's for a set of tires to go, regardless of year.

Price is high for an 01 Cobra Vert. Take it to a body shop and have them check it out for body work and SGI may be able to tell you accident history on the car as well. You may want to ask them when you are in about your car.

I had to replace my stock tires after 18000 Km. The stock tires are crap. I have smoked mine almost on a daily basis this spring and they stand up way better then the stocker crap that was on there. So I am not surprised it has new tires.

80,000 KM for a 01 would be considered excessively high.Especially on a Black Book listing. Mine is a 2000, daily driven and only 32 000 KM.

Infact running it through BB it comes up as average condition, because of the KM's. With noticable body damage that reduces it more. But they have it listed as $17 675 to $19 925. So you know the dealer didn't pay anything over that.

I would go in offer them $17 700. If they say no way then get up and walk out. You can get an 03-04 for maybe anouther 10 for what they want with full warranty and way more power.

I had to replace the tires on my '96 Cobra at 32,000K so to expect the original tires at 80,000 is a bit unreasonable. No way they would let it go for $17,700!!! $24-25, maybe!
An '03-'04 Cobra vert for 10 grand over 17,700??? ...in another 5-6 years that would be possible!
You're right, the wheel-hop sucks on these cars! The '03 is a little better but not by much!

Hogger

Hogger said:
I had to replace the tires on my '96 Cobra at 32,000K so to expect the original tires at 80,000 is a bit unreasonable. No way they would let it go for $17,700!!! $24-25, maybe!
An '03-'04 Cobra vert for 10 grand over 17,700??? ...in another 5-6 years that would be possible!
You're right, the wheel-hop sucks on these cars! The '03 is a little better but not by much!

Hogger
Man I can believe you have an 03 cobra vert and you never bring it out..and only have 3 posts...

Man I can believe you have an 03 cobra vert and you never bring it out..and only have 3 posts...

HAHA , I did have a few more before the crash! But I have been around here since '99 so respect your elders!! :D

I just had the Cobra out today as a matter of fact...had to before it rains for the next 4 days!

Hogger