testing for exhaust in coolant?

executioner

May 4, 2004
mass.
occasionally car runs hot,coolant bubbling in overflow only after 20 or 30 minutes of highway driving.drive all day on backroads no prob.new 3 core rad.,waterpump,192 ford t-stat with bleeder,new fan and fan clutch.has the spoiler under bumper. i know theres a machine to sniff exhaust gasses but also heard you can buy test strips that will show presence of carbon,exhuast gases in radiator.. anyone heard of this and where can i get it. suspect i may have a slightly weak head gasket. auto zone doesnt have it.

90 7up 5.0 :spot:

• Sponsors (?)

go to NAPA and ask for a block tester kit.
set you back close to 50bux.
it's not litmus strips, it's a fluid that reacts to exhaust gases...
You'll see.
I've used one a couple of times now... grrrrrr...

About five year ago I blew a Head Gasget in My 90 GT, it was working on two blown Gasgets when it dawned on Me that thats what was happening. Coolant started disapering and I started seeing bubbles coming up in the Radiator when I had the Cap off, weather the Motor was hot or cold. Ran the Car around for two weeks not knowing, decided to drain my oil and there it was Coolant in my oil, by the time I got the Car fixed and ran it around the block a few time I noticed the oil presure had droped Enough to tell me I the Engine had some damage done to it, coolant does'nt make good lubricant, if Your close to an Oil change, change it and see for Your self, it will look milky in color or in my case I saw a gallon of it. If You have the chance to change the stock ford Gasget to Felpro do it, the stock one's SUCK!
Good Luck Mike.

thanks for the help guys. will get block tester kit next tomorrow.as for the oil changed it last week looked fine.this prob is driving me nuts at this point. i dont mind spending the dough for head gaskets(already bought felpro's,but no time now to do myself) as long as it fixes prob.

90 7up 5.0 :spot: