Testing to see if ignition switch is dead: how to start car by touching wires?

I haven't been able to start my car in a week or two and I have narrowed it down to an electrical problem, and I think it may be the ignition switch being dead. I removed the cylinder lock, and ignition switch (leaving only the rubber "cap" that the wires go into that connects to the back of the ignition switch). How do I start the car by only touching wires together so I can see if it is in fact my ignition switch that is dead? Or is there a better way to test this?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not going to teach you how to hotwire my car. But, you can put the lock cyl back into the switch, and put the key into the on position the use a screwdriver and jump the starter solenoid from the battery side to the small "I" terminal on the solenoid. It should turn the starter and should start the car. Make sure you are not in gear, and have the e-brake on for safety. If it doesn't turn the starter then it's probably a bad solenoid or starter. If you did not unhook your battery when you pulled the lock cyl from the ign switch then the key is in acc mode and might drain your battery. Good luck.

Thats my problem, when I put my key in the "on" position, my fuel pump doesn't prime, my wipers don't work, etc. My door poppers work (which are always getting power) so that lead my to believe that its my ignition switch. I drove my car one day, then I tried to start it up the next, I noticed my fuel pump wasn't priming, then I noticed nothing else that was supposed to be getting power that was supposed to. And I remember to unhook my battery before I pulled the lock cylinder.

Okay, if you're not getting power when in the on position, I'd trace the wires coming out of the switch and look for a split/short. If you cant find anything it might be worth it to buy a new switch. The center post coming from the switch is where the main power goes. Put your wiper switch in the on position, maybe spay some water on the windshield if you like. Run a test light from the battery and tap it into each hole in the rubber plug you pulled from the ign switch until you get the wipers to work. If they kick in then I'm gonna say its the switch that's bad. If they don't, then something else is wrong with the wiring. There should be two plug holes that will actuate the wipers, "acc" and "on" wires. I didn't want to teach you how to hotwire the car, but try this. If you tap power to one of the wires on and it engages the starter then I think the closest hole to that one will be the "on" position. So, run a lead from the battery to the "on" wire and tap another lead from that onto the "start" hole you found earlier. That should crank the car and start it. You should also hear the fuel pump with the lead to the "on" hole.

Just thought of this, check the fuel pump, fuses, fuel level...ah, I see you have EFI. You might want to try the 5.0 forum too, just tell them you have an 89GT or something to keep it simple. They might have ideas about the computer etc. I hope you figure it out.