Progress Thread Tfs 205cc 302 Build

Thought I'd blow the dust off. Like I've stated before my mind wonders all over the place. I've contemplated about every different direction with this car. Im sticking with the 302-Astro T5 rebuild. The shop got busy and my car has had slow progress but the trans is out of the car. Motor will be out and on the stand this week. I can't complain he's doing the work cheap (Buddy price) and I just didn't have the time/energy. He promised that I'd have the car back at the latest by the end of the month. I told him my hours are cutting back and I could stop by and help for an hour or so before he closes. So maybe it will get done sooner.

Reactions: 3 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I know right? That's the problem with having more thoughts than dollars.
X1000! I thought the money issue was starting to ease up finally. But there is always something. I just had another example of this with a family member tonight. Oh well if we can't help family when they really need it what's the point?? Good karma I hope (even though it doesn't feel that way). I am going to take a break from "improving" the car after all the latest changes. Going to try and enjoy it for awhile and then see what happens. Maybe next year I can address some aesthetics(interior #1)

Reactions: 1 user
image.jpg
Well the motor is on the stand. Trans is out and on the work bench.

Going to sell the shorty's,h pipe,professional products TB and intake(e cam is sold already to @hoopty5.0 ) also the oil pump shaft was broken(the low oil pressure issue) and my clutch was chunk(I figured that was a problem already). Looks like it's probably going to be a couple weeks before we get it done(maybe a month). Really all depends on work schedules. I jumped the gun on figuring my hours were going to go down significantly and I'm going on vacation soon(been over 65 weeks since I've had any time off :( ) gotta pay for the toys somehow.

So are you dropping the engine off at the shop to get rebuilt? Doing the T5 yourself?
Shop is doing it. As far as the motor goes it's just getting a new pump,gaskets,bearings,and all the topend stuff. Rotating assembly is stock. I've never rebuilt a trans before and he's done a metric crap ton so I'm going to leave that to him. I hope to be there and watch/learn but I also want to get it done asap. My schedule is going to be sporadic. Some days will be 6-4(normal for me) while other days may be as late as 7-8pm. Shop closes at 6. So on the days I can stop and if he's not in the middle of something else...we will see. I've known the guy for over 20 years and he's helped me on previous projects. I initially planned on doing the motor work myself but I've gotten more lazy the older I've become. I also have other hobbies and don't want to take all my free time working in the garage these days. But would like to help/supervise lol. At worst it will be done before October. At this point I'm not in a huge hurry. I would like to get some seat time and possibly a trip to the track before it gets crappy around here. Unless I really have to I'm going to wait until spring before I get a dyno tune. Maybe I'll have some numbers I can post of the before and after.

Ummmm...no progress. This should be labeled a no-progress thread. My buddy got swamped with work and so have I. We plan on this week getting the topend off and the cam out(that is what we discussed on Friday). I probably should have done it at home but I did need some of his expertise. I've never tore a manual trans apart, and had help on measuring ptv clearance etc in the past. I'm sure I could have done most of it myself but figured he has done it thousands of times. I am installing a new Ram clutch,flywheel,oil pump.pan,etc(couldn't remember if I stated that before). So basically everything will be new except the actual rotating assembly.

Blower isn't going to happen this year and at present rate be lucky to have it running before it gets cold. I will have to readdress the fuel system at that point also. Very disheartening and I'm resigned to my fate. "Buddy price"=slow as ****! But I knew what I was in for to a certain degree. I'm remodeling some of the house,worked on a few other projects,and have been Muskie fishing when not at the day job. Oh and the ex appealed our court decision. The fun never stops. Some free advise(basically practical sense) if anyone gets divorced, keep track of all records. Period. Even the smallest of things can become an "area of discussion" when it comes to attorneys(they do make an hourly rate you know lol).