TFS High Ports Vrs. Edelbrock RPM heads

SAY GO

Apr 19, 2005
I can get either of these heads locally with a price differance of about $300-$400, i want to know how the edelbrocks compare under boost (roughly 15#'s) to TFS high port heads, i know the high port is a better head, but is the difference worth $400? they both have 2.02/1.90 valves. Running a Trick Flow Track heat intake and lunati cam ( 221/232 .526/.530) and a Vortech S-trim. How many here are using the Edelbrocks and High ports? thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

IntenseBlue said:
TFS heads will run circles around the Edelbrocks. BUT, the Edelbrocks will work better with your heads and cam.

interesting, can you explain why they would work better?

89white50 said:
personally with that kind of psi i would say the High Ports...the 64cc chamber i would think gives you a btter burn. Are you using the stock shortblock?

yea thats another thing, 64cc vrs 60cc, not a stock shortblock. ross pistons, probe crank and rods.

The HP's will flow more through out the entire lift range,have larger ports,and a better valve angle (shourding and clearance improve).

The only advantage the RPM might have would be more compression and port velocity (not a big deal cause the blower),it will feel just a little more torquey below 3500rpm.

what is your compression ratio, with 15#'s of boost I would go w/high ports just because 64cc it will lower your compression. Also thats alot of boost for a stock block. You should of gotten your bottom end forged unless it is all ready, but what ever you choose keep us posted and good luck w/your set-up.

SAY GO said:
interesting, can you explain why they would work better QUOTE]

If I'm correct, which I'm pretty sure I am, your engine still retains the stock stroke seeing as how you didn't mention it was stroked. 210cc is alot of head for a 302. Too much for a street 302. Your lowend is going to suck balls probably compared to what it is now and especially compared to the RPM heads, you'll lose compression, you have a Track Heat intake with a 1500-6500 rpm powerband. Coincidentally, the Eddy RPMs do to. Too small of an intake for a set of High Ports. Your cam size appears. The RPM range of that cam seems to be around the 2000-6000rpm range. Again too small for high ports. High ports would want something in the near .600 area. High ports would probably take a stock stroke 302/306/308, whatever to 8000rpm. The only lowend you'd have would be due to the small-pullied Strim. The High Ports are better heads, but are not the best for your engine combination without altering most other aspects of the combo besides the supercharger. Hope I helped. :nice:

If anyone sees any mistakes in this make it known. I'm open for correction.

IntenseBlue said:
SAY GO said:
interesting, can you explain why they would work better QUOTE]

If I'm correct, which I'm pretty sure I am, your engine still retains the stock stroke seeing as how you didn't mention it was stroked. 210cc is alot of head for a 302. Too much for a street 302. Your lowend is going to suck balls probably compared to what it is now and especially compared to the RPM heads, you'll lose compression, you have a Track Heat intake with a 1500-6500 rpm powerband. Coincidentally, the Eddy RPMs do to. Too small of an intake for a set of High Ports. Your cam size appears. The RPM range of that cam seems to be around the 2000-6000rpm range. Again too small for high ports. High ports would want something in the near .600 area. High ports would probably take a stock stroke 302/306/308, whatever to 8000rpm. The only lowend you'd have would be due to the small-pullied Strim. The High Ports are better heads, but are not the best for your engine combination without altering most other aspects of the combo besides the supercharger. Hope I helped. :nice:

If anyone sees any mistakes in this make it known. I'm open for correction.

Eh,your not wrong but a litle off ;)

The HP's are 190cc (apox. casting are always alittle differant between batches)

Actualy have you looked at the Track Heats?

They flow in between what the HP's do on the intake (with nearly the same exhaust flow) and the RPM's.Plus they got the good valve angle so you will have more PVC clearance and un-shroud the valves (stand TFS also has it,just the Track Heats are beter springs,lock,and retainers,with out the EGR passage)

appreciate the opininons guys, the car would be around 10:1 on the RPM's and around 9:5:1 on the HP's, the car is all forged and will be fed a diet of strict race gas, i think im going to be pickign up a set of HP's this weekend, i will keep you guys posted