Thank you, Uncle Sam...$3,200 to spend, ON WHAT??

85_SS_302_Coupe

it sucks (I know) to be on the receiving end
15 Year Member
Nov 11, 2003
Northern KY
Ok everyone loves this question, so here goes. My car is as listed in my sig, and it's needing a tranny pretty bad since 3rd is almost gone in my C4. I'm dying to swap a 5 speed in, but i'm also itching for some suspension mods. My engine runs strong as heck for being a stock '85 so i'm trying (really hard) to focus on spending money on everything behind the engine.

I know for sure i'm getting some equal length headers/Pro Chamber/catback because the previous owner rigged up some flowmasters and they're on barrowed time. I've already got an 8.8 rear end with the 4.10s, so it's pretty much down to either a tranny swap or suspension + a fixed C4.

I'm looking for realistic prices too if anyone has any, not those "found the greatest deal ever" or "bought it from my unemployed brother in law" prices.

EDIT: ooops, i posted this in tech by mistake, so here's a little tech question to make it legit: was it '85 or '86 that began the hydrolic lifters/roller cam motors? I've thought i had that one down several times only to read somewhere else the opposite.

• Sponsors (?)

Hyro Roller cam's started in 85...86 was first for EFI.

I say do a trans swap to a t-5 or a tremmec. 1500ish
UPR tubular K member with coil overs.....600ish (I think)
Do some upper & lower control arms....$500 or so
Slap a Cam & an intake on it & you should hit your mark of about $3200.00
So you get to lighten & strengthen you car (K member & suspension goodies)
fix the problems (trans) & go faster (cam intake) all within budget

Sounds good to me.:D