Electrical Thanks Jrichker - Door Lock Actuator

Discussion in 'Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech' started by Kumm3, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Kumm3

Kumm3 Founding Member

Finally got around to installing the door lock actuators in my 89. Had the actuators for about 3 years and decided that I didnt want it to make it to 4 years.

Anyways, everything went off with no major issues, other than my inability to locate the 1/2" square aluminum tubing. I ended up using 1/8" flat alum stock, and found a 3/8" brass thumb nut to act as a spacer. I also decided to rivet the rod to the actuator instead of a bolt.

But again, thanks to jrichker, without your instructions i would have spent a lot more doing a stock replacement.

2. jrichker

jrichker StangNet's favorite TOOL SN Certified Technician Founding Member

I am glad to hear you were successful. I used a 1/2" steel box rod from Home Depot for the actuator link. but you method sounds like a good alternative plan.

3. Kumm3

Kumm3 Founding Member

I thought about using the steel, but didnt know if the weight would impede the operation of the actuator. Plus, with the rust possibility, I didnt want to wait for paint to dry.

But they are working perfectly now. Decided to replace them in pairs even though the drivers side was still working. Figured I will gain a spare in case anything happens to the replacements.

4. jrichker

jrichker StangNet's favorite TOOL SN Certified Technician Founding Member

The replacement actuators in my Mustang have lasted 12+ years. They are still going strong, I love the thunk sound when they lock and unlock. :)