The 408w had a blowup :(

So at the drag strip I noticed smoke out the back. Ran fine so I thought head gasket but when I pulled the plug to do a compression test the plug was hit. My spiral lock had let go. So my wrist pin was rubbing on my cylinder wall. Not huge damage but the block is no good. I will be stripping the car down this winter and decide whether to make it faster or back to where she was. Sigh. That is racing I guess.

• Sponsors (?)

That sucks dude. Even if the block is cheap, the machine work sure isn't.

Kurt

It sucks. But....I like to take a bad situation and make it great. I had a second phase for my build which I was planning for 2013 but I will bump it up now to be done in 2012. Next phase:

custom sheetmetal intake with an air to water intercooler, 4L whipple charger, Dart block, and dish pistons to drop my compression a couple points. I think it is the responsible thing to do. When you get lemons you make 4 digit horsepower out of it.

It sucks. But....I like to take a bad situation and make it great. I had a second phase for my build which I was planning for 2013 but I will bump it up now to be done in 2012. Next phase:

custom sheetmetal intake with an air to water intercooler, 4L whipple charger, Dart block, and dish pistons to drop my compression a couple points. I think it is the responsible thing to do. When you get lemons you make 4 digit horsepower out of it.

:nice: that made me laugh a little.

This is my biggest fear with the car and still with the truck. Ya put all that $$ into it and it breaks again. I don't know what I'd do.

Sounds like your future setup will be sweet.

I hate to say it, but usually a spiral lock pops because it's installed incorrectly. I assume you had floating rods on this engine.

Kurt

I know....I just don't want to admit it. When I was building the engine I didn't think I would have valve clearance issues but when I the heads on and turned it over by hand I found I didn't have enought clearance. So I had to pull it apart to have the pistons machined. I think I should have got a new set of spiral locks because getting those things in and out are a pain. Might have weakened it.