The 5.0 Mustang is Back!

2. It uses an ~11:1 compression ratio, so forget about slapping on a supercharger or turbocharger without going through the bottom end and replacing pistons. Might as well plan on buying new rods, too- this engine uses the same frail rods the new cars are known for.

This engine certainly isn't going to respond to bolt-on mods like the old pushrod 5.0 'cause it's already near its full potential in N/A form, and as you rightly said it's unlikely that you'll be able to stroke it out for more displacement either.
The only easy route to more power would be to swap in forged pistons/rods and lower the CR to allow forced induction. The stock hypereutectic pistons have thin ring lands that'll break if there's detonation, and I wouldn't gamble on taking the stock powdered metal rods above 7000rpm or subjecting them to the higher cylinder pressures from a blower.

• Sponsors (?)

OK, I just Googled it. The Motor Trend article I just read notes that the engine is still undergoing tuning and testing. I'd be willing to bet they are using different rods and pistons than what are in the N/A motor.

If they are already coming out with forced induction versions of this motor... Maybe there is some hope for it after all. :p

I'd be willing to bet they are using different rods and pistons than what are in the N/A motor.

Unless it's a low boost application (Ford Racing Whipple supercharger will be used), you can bet the farm that rods and pistons will be forged and the CR lowered.

2011-Shelby-GT350-9.jpg

So I was reading up on the new 6 speed manual transmission, and according to 5.0 M & SF, its only rated to 375 ft-lb. I call :bs: because the Coyote in stock form is supposed to put out 390. Also, its manufactured in CHINA. :ban:

The more I learn about this car, the more I don't know what to think about it.

First off, it pisses me off to see the copycat foxbody 5.0 emblem on the engine shroud. I think the variable valve timing tech is cool but I'm not getting too excited about the engine. An engine like this is loooong overdue but I don't like FORD trying to feed on the entire 5-oh thing. You guys think GM is sitting idle and not planning any sort of counter attack? I mean, look at the car FORD put the coyote engine in......seriously. IF this engine was factory in a "new edge" or older then I'd feel different about it. The mustang as a "pony car" died (again) with the s197 platform.

Here is my take on the new 5.0. When EFI was introduced in 86' everyone said "Performance is Dead!", We will NEVER be able to work on these things. When the SOHC and DOHC mod motors came out, the same old whine that performance mods for the average guy was not possible. Now we have the "new" 5.0. Given some time and good old American "can do" attitude, there is no reason in the world why we will not be modifying these new engines in no time. Believe me, I was a bit nervous the first time I swaped cams or heads on the 4.6, now it is a piece of cake. Will it be as mod friendly as the original 5.0? Not initially, remember the old 5.0 has almost 50 years of R&D and is like an old friend. Lets give the "new" friend a chance to show us what it's got. I bet in 10 years working on this "new 5.0" will also be a "piece of cake."

Reading more of the new info on the new motor with lots of numbers crunched together is like some serious bench racing. I will reserve my opinion til I see it go. Nice to hear about the whole 'twice the power of my old 5.0' thing-again, but we heard all these same stories when the 4.6 came out. What I know about it is this. It won't replace my 88, just like our Foxes didn't replace the old first or second gen Mustangs. I'm not blowing $30K+ on a toy car, I work for a living. My LX will be more than able to defend itself just like it always has, and for a whole lot less.

First off, it pisses me off to see the copycat foxbody 5.0 emblem on the engine shroud. I think the variable valve timing tech is cool but I'm not getting too excited about the engine. An engine like this is loooong overdue but I don't like FORD trying to feed on the entire 5-oh thing. You guys think GM is sitting idle and not planning any sort of counter attack? I mean, look at the car FORD put the coyote engine in......seriously. IF this engine was factory in a "new edge" or older then I'd feel different about it. The mustang as a "pony car" died (again) with the s197 platform.

I'd be interested to see what the new 5.0 feels like.haven't taken a test drive in one yet.