The 93 Cobra Clone Build Project

Cobra rear disk brakes are 4-lug. Cheapest way would be to find an 87-88 thunderbird turbo coupe in a yard and rob the parts.

Ironically, going 5-lug rear disks might be easier since parts are more plentiful

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Cobra rear disk brakes are 4-lug. Cheapest way would be to find an 87-88 thunderbird turbo coupe in a yard and rob the parts.

Ironically, going 5-lug rear disks might be easier since parts are more plentiful
How much do I need to swap? Never disassembled a rear end, my troubles have always been with the front wheels. Do I need to go into the differential?

LMR has a pretty good video too I think. As for keeping it fox width you could buy the north race cars brackets for the rear disks or use the GT ones you mentioned but cut out part of them and flip them. I personally haven't used either and not sure how I feel about the cut/flip method as I don't want to risk my life like that but I've also never heard of anything bad happening from it. I guess it all depends how much you'd like to save. The proper brackets, axles, and e-brake cables to put cobra rear disks on your fox is $490 shipped.

http://www.northracecars.com/Brakes.html

Reactions: 1 users
After hours of poking screwdrivers into the drum brakes trying to push on that lever to turn knob I gave up. I took out my bfh and they came right off, not right off, but I didn't break anything. The little cables were cut, those little auto ajust levers were missing, red spring missing on one side. E brake cable looks brand new. I sense "f it!, I can't figure this out" was mumbled when ebrake cable was replaced. Doesn't look like rocket science, spoiled by disc brakes.

Attachments

• KIMG0232.jpg
    KIMG0232.jpg
    556.6 KB · Views: 187
  • KIMG0233.jpg
    KIMG0233.jpg
    708.5 KB · Views: 203
  • KIMG0230.jpg
    KIMG0230.jpg
    608.4 KB · Views: 190
So after the first snow storm of year I come home to all my tools, parts, and what nots just pushed under the car, rear end stuck in corner, can't find anything, her car squeezed in with bumper up against my beer fridge. I had a box of new drum brake parts, gone. This is why I hate winter. Stopped working on car, I was pissed. So any who, my dad registered the 86, still hasn't come to get it. It's been in the 60s so I've been tooling around with top down. Man I miss the convertible. So the cobra clone parts are going on a yet to be purchased GT convertible. This severely molested 93 is getting put back together once I can claim my garage again, and getting put in the backyard until my son gets his license. Problem solved. I need A/C in hardtop. This car isn't worth the work, it's a street fighter and that's all. Until spring...peace.

Here it is 2020 some 4 years later, finally met someone normal. I still have the 93 Frankenstein. Being it was once a 2.3L I'm finding that getting the correct parts iS a pita. Instead turning this car into a Cobra Clone, just going to make it a Stock LX only painted Black. Replacement of exterior parts and new paint will be as far as I go. There is something missing from the engine swap causing it to have no power. Whatever, sounds good, will look good. Not wasting anymore time figuring out what went with car.
Going to look for an abused, modified, but all original 5 speed GT and un f**k it to be a clone car, this car is too far out of wack to put that much money into it.
So I have this emotional connection to the 87-93 5.0, possibly because my best and worst times were in those cars in high school. Seems everyone wanted those giant cowl hoods then, hated them. I personally like them bone stock looking. Because of those hoods I have hated all exterior mods done to those cars. The absolute worst being the euro lights. Since I have met someone normal, have the tools and the space, going to start restoring these cars back to there original factory specs. Fall 1992, I was a senior in high school when I drooled all over a brand new 93 Cobra in the parking lot of Lunenburg Ford in Fitchburg, MA. Could never have afforded it then, or any new 5.0. I missed the boat, best I can do is build my own.

Thread is dead

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users