The AVIC-D3 is installed!! Lots of pictures!

Last night I finalized everything: relocated the XM antenna, hooked-up the FM antenna, and connected the illumination wire.

I installed the Pioneer AVIC-D3 with:
  • XM radio
  • Bluetooth for my phone
  • Backup camera
  • iPod cable
And of course, the bypass mod (see pictures).

I really liked the Shaker 1000 system that my car came with, but the head unit was so boring. Also, despite '07 Mustangs having audio input in the console, I was so tired of having the audio cable, plus the charger cable, plus the iPod- it was ridiculous! Plus, I needed bluetooth (car is a stick) and I think those little things that go on your ear are weird :rolleyes: (no offense, I just won't wear one). Also, I was able to connect the AVIC to the factory shaker subs, with the appropriate wiring harnesses and a radio shack voltage regulator (no pop)!

I've had everything installed for about two weeks now, but when I did the install, I ran out of time and didn't have the right FM antenna adapter (thanks Best Buy :notnice: ). So, since I just finished my fall semester at school yesterday, I went back and finished everything.

Everything works perfectly! The bypass, the backup camera, the NAV (didn't connect VSS), the bluetooth, XM, everything! :nice:

Before:
DSC01986.jpg

All the goodies:
DSC01987.jpg

The wiring:
DSC01989.jpg

DSC01992.jpg

The bypass:
DSC01980.jpg

Relocate the mute wire (yellow/black) and ground it, along with the green ebrake wire)

The voltage regulator (so the factory subs don't "pop"):
DSC01993.jpg

DSC01994.jpg

The teardown :(
DSC01988.jpg

Bluetooth Mic:
DSC02004.jpg

Bluetooth box:
DSC02003.jpg

XM tuner:
DSC02002.jpg

Orginal XM and NAV antenna locations:
DSC01999.jpg

New XM antenna location:
DSC02031.jpg

There was a lot of cutting-out with the original location. This new spot seems to work fine! Also, I have since moved the NAV antenna next to the C-pillar (needed the extra length in wiring to reach the H/U.

Routing of XM/NAV antenna wires:
DSC02034.jpg

Routing of rear wiring to front of car (goes under back seat, under sill plate, up behind kick panel, and to the head unit- along the brace under the dash):
DSC02009.jpg

DSC02035.jpg

Illumination wire (tapped into headlight switch (orangish-tan/white wire):
DSC02036.jpg

That bulk of black wire is for the alarm- I didn't install it, otherwise there would be black tubing on it :nonono:
DSC02037.jpg

The iPod cable:
DSC02032.jpg

I'm amazed at how well the interface on the AVIC works- I never have to touch the iPod! And, it gets charged while it's connected!

Almost there:
DSC02011.jpg

I don't have a picture of how the bracket connects to the AVIC, but it is very sleek. Also, at this point, it was almost midnight..:(

DSC02010.jpg

Backup camera (hard to see. I didn't realize that I didn' take any pictures :shrug: ):
DSC02043.jpg

And, it's in!
View attachment 342323

This picture shows that the ebrake is off, while the DVD is playing!!!
DSC02022.jpg
:D I can also change my NAV route without setting the ebrake!!!

So, that's everything!! about 15 hours of labor, total (of course that's the way I do things.. ). The touchscreen is awesome! The backup camera works really well, even at night- I can also turn on the camera while driving.

Any questions, please email me: [email protected]. I probably won't respond to PM's because this will be on 3 different forums.

Also, I DID NOT connect the VSS! The nav works fine without it. Plus, it was just too risky tapping into the main wiring in the engine bay.

For the people worried about ruining their cars, or modding them with permanent damage, have no fear. The XM tuner is not drilled into the trunk floor- it's connected with 3M body molding tape (not going anywhere). The wiring from the AVIC gets connected (soldered) to harnesses I bought at Crutchfield; those harnesses are then connected (plugged) into the existing Ford radio harnesses.

Downside to the whole thing:
*The price (got everything on eBay and through crutchfield for about $1200 total.)I did purchase a 3-year warranty for the AVIC for $75.

*I lost my FREE factory SIRIUS.. Yes, free- I never activated it, but it had worked for 8 months.. :p Oh well, Sirius sound quality is cr@p compared to XM- I don't care what anyone says.

*Um... that's it..

Enjoy. If you have 56K and cannot see the pictures.. well.. sorry, get DSL..:)

Updates:
**In order to control the iPod through the AVIC, all you need is an iPod cable from Pioneer- about $30. You do not need any kind of adapter or "brain".. simply a cable.

**The AVIC is connected to the factory Shaker subs and amps.. the only modification in order for the Shaker system to work is the voltage regulator.

**Stock speakers/subs sound amazingly better with the new headunit. In fact, some of my songs have too much bass.. Yes, I am 22, but I would much rather hear the V8 over the boom-boom.

**I got the AVIC-D3, the Bluetooth adapter, the bracket, and the backup camera on eBay. The XM tuner, remote control, and wiring harnesses came from Crutchfield. The THIRD FM antenna adapter came from Best Buy.

DISCLAIMER:
If you do the bypass and crash your car, don't blame me.

That is all! :rolleyes:

Attachments

• DSC01986.jpg
    DSC01986.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 270
  • DSC01987.jpg
    DSC01987.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC01993.jpg
    DSC01993.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 271
  • DSC01980.jpg
    DSC01980.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 281
  • DSC01992.jpg
    DSC01992.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 318
  • DSC01989.jpg
    DSC01989.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 301
  • DSC01994.jpg
    DSC01994.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 281
  • DSC01988.jpg
    DSC01988.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 253
  • DSC02004.jpg
    DSC02004.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 266
  • DSC02003.jpg
    DSC02003.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC02031.jpg
    DSC02031.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 316
  • DSC02002.jpg
    DSC02002.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 252
  • DSC01999.jpg
    DSC01999.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 250
  • DSC02034.jpg
    DSC02034.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 286
  • DSC02009.jpg
    DSC02009.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 303
  • DSC02035.jpg
    DSC02035.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC02036.jpg
    DSC02036.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 243
  • DSC02037.jpg
    DSC02037.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC02032.jpg
    DSC02032.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 241
  • DSC02011.jpg
    DSC02011.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 253
  • DSC02010.jpg
    DSC02010.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 240
  • DSC02043.jpg
    DSC02043.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 258
  • DSC02022.jpg
    DSC02022.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 267
  • Sponsors (?)

That's bad ass. I would just let someone else do the install though lol. :) I'd really like to get one. I tried making a Factory Ford Nav work, but didn't get the bugs worked out.

That's bad ass. I would just let someone else do the install though lol. :) I'd really like to get one. I tried making a Factory Ford Nav work, but didn't get the bugs worked out.

I dunno.. after seeing how the alarm was installed in my car (not at a big box store, but a popular shop in Temecula), I was pretty upset.. The routing of the wiring is not up to my standards.. :notnice:

Then, I went to Best Buy to get the FM antenna adapter, and the guy comes to look at my install.. While we're talking, he leans on my car.. :eek: I wanted to punch him.. :nono:

I guess I just don't trust anyone..

Iv been lookin in to getting the avic d3. looks Great. cant wait to get mine.

you got any more pictures of it done, and where u put the backup cam

Here ya go. No NAV pictures though, sorry.

Backup cam:
DSC02054.jpg

Yes, the hardware has some surface rust.. I didn't realize they were uncoated until it rained last week..:nonono:

Backup cam wiring- goes through light and into trunk:
DSC02055.jpg

Current pictures of NAV and XM antennas.
DSC02044.jpg

If you install this unit, the NAV antenna wire is a little on the short side. Keep it at the passenger side of the car, or install it on the dash. XM antenna is not a problem- it gets connected to the tuner box, not the H/U.

Interface when the unit is on:
DSC02045.jpg

The blue can be changed to other colors, as well as the buttons on the side of the unit.

iPod interface:
DSC02046.jpg

This is how you scroll through menus on your iPod:
DSC02047.jpg

DVD menu is awesome:
DSC02048.jpg

All of the choices on the screen are controlled by touch. Sorry about the Family Guy, it's the only DVD in my car. Plus, I plan on playing DVD's off my iPod, when I have time to download them.

FM interface:
DSC02049.jpg

How to change the colors:
DSC02050.jpg

This thing is totally bitchin':
DSC02052.jpg

And one more:
DSC02051.jpg

Attachments

• DSC02054.jpg
    DSC02054.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 223
  • DSC02055.jpg
    DSC02055.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 227
  • DSC02044.jpg
    DSC02044.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 247
  • DSC02048.jpg
    DSC02048.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 568
  • DSC02045.jpg
    DSC02045.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC02046.jpg
    DSC02046.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC02047.jpg
    DSC02047.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 211
  • DSC02049.jpg
    DSC02049.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 231
  • DSC02050.jpg
    DSC02050.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC02052.jpg
    DSC02052.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 205
  • DSC02051.jpg
    DSC02051.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 277
Plus, the factory NAV is $2000.. I've yet to figure that one out..

Yep. I bought the NAV head unit for 700 shipped... and an antenna for about 20 bucks... Everything worked but the nav, and the sound quality wasn't as good as the Shaker 500. I guess I needed to bring it to a dealer to reprogram the head unit, but I got sick of it and just sold the thing.

I thought about buying this unit. Best Buy told me it would not fit in a new Mustang. I finally found out that THEY couldn't install it. I found another installer who said he could do it.
I opted to go with an Alpine head unit only because of price. I kind of wish now I had gotten this unit.
My Alpine does have controls for the ipod and it is hidden in the console like this. Ford's hook-up for an ipod is really, really lacking.
I like it hidden, charging when on and going off with the head unit.
I also never used my factory Sirius. I added Sirius to my head unit. The antenna is hidden under the package tray, works great and cannot be seen from outside. Ford's antenna is still there since the trunk was drilled at the factory for it.
Great job on this. Makes me want to put it in.

I thought about buying this unit. Best Buy told me it would not fit in a new Mustang. I finally found out that THEY couldn't install it. I found another installer who said he could do it.
I opted to go with an Alpine head unit only because of price. I kind of wish now I had gotten this unit.
My Alpine does have controls for the ipod and it is hidden in the console like this. Ford's hook-up for an ipod is really, really lacking.
I like it hidden, charging when on and going off with the head unit.
I also never used my factory Sirius. I added Sirius to my head unit. The antenna is hidden under the package tray, works great and cannot be seen from outside. Ford's antenna is still there since the trunk was drilled at the factory for it.
Great job on this. Makes me want to put it in.

I thought about Alpine... then I realized the D3 was a bargain.. plus the support of avic411.com.

I am in love with the iPod controls. I agree about the Ford hook-up lacking.. it might work for some, but having cables all over my car was a pain. I have a couple buddies at work that want the D3 now because of how cool it is..

I did listen to the factory sirius a little.. but I always wanted XM becuase I have it in the F350.. I even tried to "gut" the sirius antenna on the trunklid to hide the XM antenna underneath it.. didn't work..

I just wish satellite tuners would be generic and work with different head units. I have a Ford tuner yet had to buy a new one for my Alpine. And I and willing to bet that if I did go with the Pioneer, I would have to get yet another tuner and antenna.
Why can't this stuff all be compatible?

Then, I went to Best Buy to get the FM antenna adapter, and the guy comes to look at my install.. While we're talking, he leans on my car.. :eek: I wanted to punch him.. :nono:

I just installed a D3 in my 2006 and I did not use an antenna adapter. Seemed like the factory plug fit fine and reception is good (although I've yet to take it out of the garage).

What led you to get an adapter?

voltage regulator

awesome setup, does anyone know if the voltage regulator works when you hok up an amp and sub to the factory radioo shaker 500? I have that horrible poppimg sound when I turn on and off the car. I can't stand it anymore!

Pioneer is the best.

I have the AVIC-Z1 in my stang.. Did the install myself as well. I have the bluetooth adapter and the ipod adapter.

I had to install that voltage regulator as well.

Do you still recieve any unwanted sound over your subs? I did.... I had to put a ground loop on the RCA connection. That solved everything.

I dont plan on changing out any speakers or installing any additional subwoofers or amps. I am actually pretty happy with the stock sound!