The best of the best. CAI + Tune !?

put in the 93 octane tune. Wow. Much firmer shifting, much harder pull in each gear, etc. Then, put in the firm shifting program (I have the automatic trans) which also is set for 93 octane. Holy wow! Neck-snapping shifts (too hard for daily driving, but great at the track) via super high line pressure in the trans.

What level of pressure? Do you know? With my SCT tuner I have it set for 5% higher than stock.

• Sponsors (?)

Interesting topic… I have gone back and forth on this upgrade myself which is why I still run the factory air box and no tune.

This does lead to a question though…

If adding a CAI requires a turn because the CAI alone causes the engine to run in a lean condition and a tuner corrects this… does Brent or Doug offer a custom tune through communication by phone or email with a tuner and stock air box that keeps the engine from running in a too rich or too lean condition?

I understand that given the two… a rich condition is better than a lean one but if all the ordered tunes are setup for a CAI upgrade will the tune be okay to run the engine under hard aggressive conditions (1/4 mile) with the factory air box?

Most tuners ask what air induction system you are running and customize your tune to your car so there is no problems there. You will be fine with a hand held tuner as most are setup for a stock car, not ones with CAIs.

Soooo.....

My Car - Auto - Bone stock - First Post

Starting off my third childhood.

I had a '65 from '72-'98, and hated to get rid of it, but at the time did not have much choice. Once I saw the intitial drawings of the 197, I knew I had to get one. I bought my car a year ago and have completely enjoyed it.

So I start checking out the forums to see what I don't know about my car. After first checking into it, CAI and tune seemed like a good idea, but I have to admit, I'm a little confused. This forum/thread seems to make the most sense to me and I have almost decided on Tune Only, but I have a couple of questions.

1- If throttle response, a little more torque/HP, and slightly better mileage are simply a slight tune away, why didn't Ford do it from the factory?

2- Will it effect engine life in any way? (I plan on keeping the car till it dies, and do not want to speed up the process)

I cannot find a reason for me to get ridiculous with money and horsepower. As tempting as it might be, the car has plenty of juice to get me in trouble. However, just a little extra would be appreciated.

Thanks guys

Welcome bpd283:D
You will love your car with a custom tuner from the likes of Brenspeed(where I purchased mine) or Bamachips. They are both highly involved in the 197s and have excellent customer service:nice:
The answer to your first question is warranty life and emissions for the most part. It is also a car that is to be sold to the masses, so alot of people don't want a beast from the factory and are fine with that(to that I say it's not bad for a few hundred bucks we can easily transform our cars from tame to mild beasts).
Second question depends largely on scheduled maintenance and personal driving habits. I have over 10K miles on mine after the tune/CAI and gears were installed and it runs just fine. I change my oil(Mobil 1 full synthetic since the first change) every 5K miles. I drive her hard at times(I always let the engine reach operating temp first), but very rarely dog her(ran 6 times at the 1/4 mile strip plus a few times on the street; not against anybody, but on back roads with little to no traffic).
The tune will elimintate your throttle lag and firm up your shifts(I set mine for 5% firmer shifts). It shifts mildly when you're easy on the gas, but when you hammer down...you can feel each and every shift:D
Enjoy your new toy and your time here on :SNSign: