The dreaded P1443 EVAP Code

sheltonfilms

Jun 19, 2011
So I've got the P1443 code in my 96 GT. Instead of just doing the replace and check method, I actually want to narrow it down.

Here is what I've done so far:

Disconnected the sensor and checked resistance values. When I blow through the sensor the values change (after all its just a temperature sensor, so the air coming over the sensor either cools or heats it up, thus showing change in resistance).

Disconnected the solenoid and connected it straight to the battery. When connected to the battery it activates and allows air to flow through it. Disconnected it totally blocks air and can hold pressure for over 30 secs (test I saw in repair manual).

When I check voltage at the solenoid connector I get just a little less than the battery voltage....around 12V. This is done with key on. But when I connect the solenoid it doesn't energize, it still stays in the closed position. Is there a current limiter in the ECU that prevents this?

Also I hooked up a vacuum gauge between the canister and the solenoid and ran the engine. It showed 0 vac the whole time, so the solenoid never opened.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)