The GTS got a new hood today

baglock1

The Bartender
Founding Member
Aug 25, 2001
Space Coast, FL
In preparation for the roush intake install (it won't fit under the stock hood), I went ahead and bought a new hood for the GTS. It's a 95 Cobra R hood (standard height) from Kainen. It weighed in at 26# vs the stock hood at 41# for 15# of loss. I was a little dissapointed as I was hoping for a 20# loss but I figured if I get that close to my diet goal and 15 more pounds is all I'm lacking, I'll sell it and get the carbon fiber hood I wanted.

Stock hood (and painful to look at I might add):
stock_hood_1_rs.jpg

And the Cobra hood:
cobra_hood_pass_front_rs.jpg

cobra_hood_front_2_rs.jpg

The great thing about crystal white cars is that fiberglass gelcoat matches perfectly ;).

• Sponsors (?)

rudeone707 said:
I dont think it matches perfectly but you cant tell unless you look real hard. Anyways it looks good, are you really selling the hood?

If the rest of the car wasn't so filthy, it would match. :lol:

And I'm not selling it now. Later, if I need to lose more weight, I'll sell it.

95Stock50,

The hood is from Kainen. I got it from my local speedshop (Trickpro.net). Out the door, it was less than $350. It sure is nice when the manufacturer (Kainen in this case) is less than 20 minutes from you so you don't have to pay $100+ in shipping :).

Rudeone,

It's funny you should mention the clears. I was planning on swapping to clears and projector style lenses at the same time as the hood swap. My headlights are so yellow that they look like p*ss after a hard night of drinking. That and I love the look of clear corners on white cars. But my wife drove the car the other day and told me that I am not allowed to spend any money on the car until I fix the tranny (2nd gear synchros are shot). So I decided that I'd save the money until I get the Viper spec T56 bought and installed. Ahh, without a "next project" it wouldn't be any fun, would it?

baglock1 said:
95Stock50,

The hood is from Kainen. I got it from my local speedshop (Trickpro.net). Out the door, it was less than $350. It sure is nice when the manufacturer (Kainen in this case) is less than 20 minutes from you so you don't have to pay $100+ in shipping :).

Rudeone,

It's funny you should mention the clears. I was planning on swapping to clears and projector style lenses at the same time as the hood swap. My headlights are so yellow that they look like p*ss after a hard night of drinking. That and I love the look of clear corners on white cars. But my wife drove the car the other day and told me that I am not allowed to spend any money on the car until I fix the tranny (2nd gear synchros are shot). So I decided that I'd save the money until I get the Viper spec T56 bought and installed. Ahh, without a "next project" it wouldn't be any fun, would it?

Keanan or Kainen? They are located down in melboune correct? I had a 3" cowl for my coupe and it was a perfect fit. Do you know if they had any taller cobra r hoods their?

1Bad89Coupe said:
Keanan or Kainen? They are located down in melboune correct? I had a 3" cowl for my coupe and it was a perfect fit. Do you know if they had any taller cobra r hoods their?

Kainen and they're in Rockledge. And to the best of my knowledge, they make the R up to 4" but they might have a 6". :shrug:

baglock1 said:
Kainen and they're in Rockledge. And to the best of my knowledge, they make the R up to 4" but they might have a 6". :shrug:

I thought they molded the hoods in Rockledge then they put the finishing touches on them in melbourne. Either way i'm going to end up with one.....Looks good though man