Build Thread The Hoopty Build

• Sponsors (?)

Ok a couple of questions -

I have been reading about the Harbor Freight TIG welder on their website and everyone who bought it was raving. Not a single bad review - (4.7/5 avg ratig). For $400, i think it would be a great investment for fabbing up a home-cooked system. Does anyone have one that could add to the reviews?

Also, My rear end has 31 spline axles. Assuming I weld up the tubes and add some bracing, will this support a boosted big-inch windsor with slicks? I'm wanting to stay at or just under 700 hp (FW) or 600 at the wheels. I read the thread by srtthis about the fabbed 9in housings. Some say that an 8.8 built right will handle most anything. Should I step up to 33/35 splines?

Most of the time a dry rig setup comes with leads, torch, gas regulator and hoses but no POWER SOURCE. Does it come with the machine/ source?

Most of the time a dry rig setup comes with leads, torch, gas regulator and hoses but no POWER SOURCE. Does it come with the machine/ source?

Comes with leads and torch. Reg/fittings and pigtail sold separately IIRC. I also read that there is a foot pedal assembly sold on eBay that makes the setup work really well.

Yep. Think I'm gonna do that. Maybe I can squeeze some cash out of my buddy as a co-investor. He's in the middle of a '63 Chevy II build but keeps his car at the shop our buddy owns. I just hate driving somewhere to work on my car and having to work around their schedule. This way, I can just walk out to teh garage and make magic happen.

Yep. Think I'm gonna do that. Maybe I can squeeze some cash out of my buddy as a co-investor. He's in the middle of a '63 Chevy II build but keeps his car at the shop our buddy owns. I just hate driving somewhere to work on my car and having to work around their schedule. This way, I can just walk out to teh garage and make magic happen.

You should invest in the Lincoln retail series mig welders you can at Lowes or Home Depot. The 140 amp piece will do anything you need on a car, It'll cost 549-599.00, but you can rest assured in that you have a 3yr warranty and replacement parts at every welding supply store. I have the one below that, and it has built every car since 2003. ( 5 total) Like Allen says, some gauges and a bottle of 75/25 and you'll be a welding fool in no time.

If you're determined on a TIG, I just sold my Longevity Brand (Chinee) combination TIG/Plasma cutter/Stick welder. (Cause TIG is hard, takes forever, and is a pain in the ass to get into some of the areas w/) But they also come w/ a 3 yr warranty. Mine cost 599.00 two years ago ( Think it's 799.00 now) But the plasma cutter was invaluable. The Tig is different from Square wave TIG's though, It uses Capacitors to store the energy I think. It strikes full blast and you have to back off from there. Took some getting used to, and many blown holes that I had to weld up later (w/ my mig)

madmike1157 I am very fortunate to have a good friend who has a restoration shop 5 minutes from my house. There, I have access to a large Miller MIG whenever I need it. I love using MIGs due to their ease of use and have been welding for about 10 years (as a hobby). He's also got a plasma cutter, oxy/acetylene rig, etc etc.

My main reason for this is because I simply want to learn how to use a TIG and make the pretty beads that don't need to be knocked down. If I get to the point where I'm too impatient, I can always tack it all together and run to his shop and finish weld.

I had a 110v flux core welder that I just got rid of recently. It was junk. The feed mechanism always goofed and I could never get a steady speed out of it. Plus it used God-awful amounts of juice to run. Time for a 220v machine.

Also, here's the turbo in question:

61c1349dac09e088.jpg

By hoopty50 at 2012-04-02

I was having trouble finding any info on a T-76 Q trim, but after seeing the picture, I am certain it's an older unit. Somehow there's no part number on it either. How that happens, I dunno. But the guy says there's no shaft play and is supposed to support 1200 hp. We'll see...

Have some interest in the trans, but nothing for sure yet.

Today has been a busy day, especially being 5000 miles away.

FIRST:
I ordered more parts. Someone abandoned a project locally and I swooped in like a vulture from a power line. $500 netted me a 90mm Wilson manifolds elbow, a Glenn's sleeper tank, and a nice big aluminum radiator. He had more stuff for sale, but I at least need to buy ramen noodles and peanut butter IF I ever get home (more on that later)

SECOND:
I had some suspicions about the turbo that I posted a picture of earlier. So, I emailed Brian @ BG Custom Turbo. The conversation is as follows:

Me:
Brian,

I am looking at purchasing what I believe to be an older model Turbonetics T76 ball bearing turbo. I say older because the compressor housing looks nothing like the current models offered (see attached photo)

I have read online that your company can rebuild units - how much does this run? The seller says everything is fine and has no shaft play, but I'd like to be sure. He wants $750 for it and seems to be a good deal, just want to make sure it's not too good of a deal.

Thanks,
Collin

Him:
Hi Collin,
I would send that right back to Turbonetics for rebuild. Usually orlder bb turbos arnt rebuildable and you just buy a new catridge. usually in the 800 dollar range. I highly doubt a turbonetics that old is a bb turbo as thats something that really wasnt out there back when they used those compressor covers. If its a true bb it should have watercooling ports on the center section. If you pay 700 for it and need to rebuild it 800 or so your only 200 off the biggest and baddest tripple ceramic ball bearing billet cnc wheel aluminum centersection Compturbo bbcnc 76. I would only buy that if you are 100% sure it is ok.
Hope this helps,
Brian Horne
B&G CUSTOM TURBO
So, I'm going to have a really close look at this thing. If it doesn't seem right, I'll pass and either keep it N/A or buy a new S400 series turbo or something of the like.
THIRD
My crew's last day of our rotation was today. After five weeks, everyone went home but me. Why? Someone in corporate screwed up and waited to late to do a work visa for my replacement and I get to stay for an undisclosed period of time longer. Thanks, really appreciate that one, guys.

Today has been a busy day, especially being 5000 miles away.

FIRST:
I ordered more parts. Someone abandoned a project locally and I swooped in like a vulture from a power line. $500 netted me a 90mm Wilson manifolds elbow, a Glenn's sleeper tank, and a nice big aluminum radiator. He had more stuff for sale, but I at least need to buy ramen noodles and peanut butter IF I ever get home (more on that later)

SECOND:
I had some suspicions about the turbo that I posted a picture of earlier. So, I emailed Brian @ BG Custom Turbo. The conversation is as follows:

Me:
Brian,

I am looking at purchasing what I believe to be an older model Turbonetics T76 ball bearing turbo. I say older because the compressor housing looks nothing like the current models offered (see attached photo)

I have read online that your company can rebuild units - how much does this run? The seller says everything is fine and has no shaft play, but I'd like to be sure. He wants $750 for it and seems to be a good deal, just want to make sure it's not too good of a deal.

Thanks,
Collin

Him:
Hi Collin,
I would send that right back to Turbonetics for rebuild. Usually orlder bb turbos arnt rebuildable and you just buy a new catridge. usually in the 800 dollar range. I highly doubt a turbonetics that old is a bb turbo as thats something that really wasnt out there back when they used those compressor covers. If its a true bb it should have watercooling ports on the center section. If you pay 700 for it and need to rebuild it 800 or so your only 200 off the biggest and baddest tripple ceramic ball bearing billet cnc wheel aluminum centersection Compturbo bbcnc 76. I would only buy that if you are 100% sure it is ok.
Hope this helps,
Brian Horne
B&G CUSTOM TURBO
So, I'm going to have a really close look at this thing. If it doesn't seem right, I'll pass and either keep it N/A or buy a new S400 series turbo or something of the like.
THIRD
My crew's last day of our rotation was today. After five weeks, everyone went home but me. Why? Someone in corporate screwed up and waited to late to do a work visa for my replacement and I get to stay for an undisclosed period of time longer. Thanks, really appreciate that one, guys.

FIRST Did the guy @ Turbonetics talk really quiet, or is he a really tiny guy? Like a Gnome or,or a halfling? I mean I almost had to use a magnifying glass to read what the guy said, the text was so small.
SECOND I was kinda thinking you might be walking into a worn out, antiquated turbo. Be sure to ck it out completely.
THIRD That having to stay on board thing SUCKS! How long till that changes? Aren't you the navigator? Plot a course back to Houston after it leaves port. Blame it on fatigue.

FIRST Did the guy @ Turbonetics talk really quiet, or is he a really tiny guy? Like a Gnome or,or a halfling? I mean I almost had to use a magnifying glass to read what the guy said, the text was so small.
SECOND I was kinda thinking you might be walking into a worn out, antiquated turbo. Be sure to ck it out completely.
THIRD That having to stay on board thing SUCKS! How long till that changes? Aren't you the navigator? Plot a course back to Houston after it leaves port. Blame it on fatigue.

First, FIXT
Second, Yes... I sent the seller an email asking if it had the water ports. If not, I'm out. People have been making stupid power with the BW S400 series turbos. Or, I could be sensible and build it N/A and be happy for a while as I collect turbo parts.
Third, hopefully no longer than a week. But the ol adage goes, "hope in one hand and sh it in the other and see which fills up first.

Well I emailed the guy with the turbo and he says it doesn't have the water ports. So the chances of this being what he says it is are really small. I think I am going to pass, mainly for the reasons on it being not rebuildable. And I can buy a NEW BW turbo for $200 less and be just as happy.

So what now... I think I need to stick to the original plan of just getting this think running N/A and collecting the parts silently in the background for a turbo build. It will take longer to collect all the parts than it will to run this thing N/A, so why let it rot on the jack stands? I'm going to leave the trans for sale, and maybe for a trade plus cash on my end for a trans.

Suggestions on an auto trans to hold 700ish HP?

Last time I ran an auto was 16 years ago, so I'm not real up on the lastest.. seems like a lot of people run turbo 400's. personally if it were me, I'd want an o.d., but I've given up completely on drag cars. I suggest getting on yellow bullet. Those guys over there are cereal about racing. Figger out watcha need and then hit up the classifieds. Corral might not be the best place for a chebby trans, but it will move your five speed in a matter of days.:nice:

There a a few companies that make AOD's to easily handle that kind of HP. Lentech being one and Dirty Dog Racing as the other. My friend runs a Dirty Dog trans in his car and it runs mid 9's with no issues and I believe it is warrantied for 1000 HP use. I have used Lentech in the past with excellent results as well. Keeping an overdrive is nice if you plan on any sustained highway use.