Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

haha yeah, about 40 more hours of labor

*edit - not on that one runner, but my point is I have not spent any time on the intake runners yet to get a ton more flow. I have only done the most basic items which is why I am not expecting more.

Oh, I see.. So do you plan on spending that time, or just keeping it simple? Forgive me if you've mentioned it already and I overlooked it. Been busy busy..

• Sponsors (?)

Maybe not THAT much time, but I will keep working on them until I get to the 220-230 cfm range. That's just about what a TW170 flows (a little short of) and if I only have $500 tied up in the heads, then I still think that's coming out again. The real questions is can I replicate these results on another set with proven flow results and sell them for enough to justify getting into better heads and better results?

Asked another way - Will someone spend $500 on P heads that make the same amount of power that an $800 set of 170s will?

Maybe not THAT much time, but I will keep working on them until I get to the 220-230 cfm range. That's just about what a TW170 flows (a little short of) and if I only have $500 tied up in the heads, then I still think that's coming out again. The real questions is can I replicate these results on another set with proven flow results and sell them for enough to justify getting into better heads and better results?

Asked another way - Will someone spend $500 on P heads that make the same amount of power that an $800 set of 170s will?

Eh, probably not, but, you never know. If you have flow documentation for them maybe someone will..

I think there is a broke ass crowd of foxes in Houston that can't afford to go fast. I'll bring speed to the masses!

*Rubs hands together and chuckles quietly*

Yeah, I can see you becoming a millionaire grinding on explorer heads in your garage. Solid plan..:p

Test1.jpg

Good news and bad news. The 'basic' porting that I've been reading about paid off in the intake dept and I am quite happy to see an improvement. Not sure how to explain what happened on the exhaust. Really, all I did was blend the bowl, shape the valve guide, and knock down the EGR bump. That is incredibly perplexing. Hmm.

Test1.jpg

Good news and bad news. The 'basic' porting that I've been reading about paid off in the intake dept and I am quite happy to see an improvement. Not sure how to explain what happened on the exhaust. Really, all I did was blend the bowl, shape the valve guide, and knock down the EGR bump. That is incredibly perplexing. Hmm.

These stock baseline numbers... Were they actually generated on the same heads and flow bench BEFORE doing the work.... or are these just generic typical numbers from the same head casting these guys are using?

These stock baseline numbers... Were they actually generated on the same heads and flow bench BEFORE doing the work.... or are these just generic typical numbers from the same head casting these guys are using?
Well, that is going to be a big point of contention here. I didn't think to pay to have them flowed at first, so the 'stock' numbers are from the interwebz.

However, moving forward, each subsequent test will be made on the same bench setup so the results will be a lot easier to compare. These are a stretch. Either way, the exhaust numbers should not be 30% off.

OK so -

Before I get any further into the porting, I need a 1415 sized exhaust gasket and a 1250 size intake gasket. If anyone has one used, damaged, etc. and wouldn't mind parting with it, I'll gladly pay shipping. I have NO budget right now and don't wanna spend $60 on gaskets that will more than likely sit on a shelf for a long time.

I did re-plumb my busted PVC air line with copper last night. Needs to be tested, but should be back in business.

For anyone mildly interested in learning to port heads, I've got a hugely informative thread going on corral with input from Tom Moss, Ed Curtis, Ron Bell, etc. They're guys that have been doing this for eons and know it inside and out. Good stuff so far, more to come.

Learning to port heads, what happened here? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

Reactions: 1 users
I got a little greedy this weekend and hit a water jacket in the exhaust port at the base of the valve guide. Best fix idea I've received so far is to use an arc welder with a cast rod. Can anyone add to this or offer an alternative? the hole is the size of a ball point pen tip and there are no other soft areas around the hole, just that one spot.

I got a little greedy this weekend and hit a water jacket in the exhaust port at the base of the valve guide. Best fix idea I've received so far is to use an arc welder with a cast rod. Can anyone add to this or offer an alternative? the hole is the size of a ball point pen tip and there are no other soft areas around the hole, just that one spot.

Epoxy?

You'll have to use a nickel filler rod if you chose to attempt a repair. Use your buddy's heli-arc rig. Weld it up, then peen the crap out of it with a pointed tool to stress relieve the weld, or it will contract when it cools and tear or crack the cast iron. If you can't reach it with a chipping hammer, use a punch and ball peen. Then, after it cools, grind it smooth. Done it many times. it's tricky, but doable.

Reactions: 1 users
Scrapping the head and using it as a test piece. Hopefully Friday I can dig another one up at the scrap yard. I sold the 1.6 rockers I got and ordered 1.90 intake valves and .580" springs/hardware/seals from alexparts.com. The machinist told me to let them machine the heads for the valves first before I have them flowed again, because I am not really helping anything. I think we are on 2 different wavelengths, but they are willing to help me out so I'll go along with them.

Reactions: 1 user