Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

• Sponsors (?)

I'll put you in touch with my wife and let you pitch the idea. I haven't been successful with it.

I used to go around and around with my wife about ************* cat boxes in the house, and those little ************* crawling all over my car. Funny thing, they started disappearing. When she asked about it, I said " I don't know, that family of owls out back must be eating them,"

@madmike1157

Scott Rod fab wants $155 for some 22 ga sheet metal with a couple of bends. I'm going to use due diligence to find some already-purchased-but-not-gonna-use pieces somewhere for a lot cheaper, but I'm very seriously considering re-tracing some foot steps. The difference this time being I have access to much better tools and access to some valuable hind sight.

@madmike1157

Scott Rod fab wants $155 for some 22 ga sheet metal with a couple of bends. I'm going to use due diligence to find some already-purchased-but-not-gonna-use pieces somewhere for a lot cheaper, but I'm very seriously considering re-tracing some foot steps. The difference this time being I have access to much better tools and access to some valuable hind sight.

Check the board or CL for guys parting out cars. I'd rather patch in some factory panels that fit right and are thicker gauge, and you can get them cheap. If you were closer I'd point you to either MPS in Atlanta or Eddyson in Miami.

Check the board or CL for guys parting out cars. I'd rather patch in some factory panels that fit right and are thicker gauge, and you can get them cheap. If you were closer I'd point you to either MPS in Atlanta or Eddyson in Miami.
Well, If I am going to do the work, I'd rather have smooth panels. But for the top portion where the fender attaches, I will need to go find that part because I don't wanna mess with making that.

Well, If I am going to do the work, I'd rather have smooth panels. But for the top portion where the fender attaches, I will need to go find that part because I don't wanna mess with making that.

I'd tell you to come cut what you want out of my parts car, but the front end is taco'd.:(

Reactions: 1 users
Actually, I may have found the better of both worlds from LMR. And the sale of the panhard may expedite the process...

Mustang Front Fender Apron Pair with No Holes (79-93)

It's gonna be an absolute MOFO to drill out all the spot welds, but this is the best way to do it, IMO.
Invest in the appropriate spot weld removing bits with an s, as in more than one bit.

Panels like the LMR pieces is what I was thinking about anyway. as long as there are no holes as long as they're smooth who cares ?

Well. I got shut down this weekend. The I was hoping to lay down some color, but my buddy with the resto shop was out of town. So it sits....
IMG_4218.JPG

I am working on a deal right now with a local guy. I am restoring some 1/4 windows to trade with my explorer intake for a MM PHB and his 1/4 windows. Here are some before shots. You can see they're pretty rough, but should clean up well. The process is the same as I did with the drip edge resto: Lightly sand with 220, 3-5 coats of primer, sand, primer, sand, repeat as many times as necessary to get smooth, unblemished trim, and then hit it with SEM trim black. I'll keep it updated as i get it done, hopefully this week.
IMG_4208.JPG
IMG_4210.JPG
IMG_4211.JPG

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Window refurb complete! Supposed to swap them for the MM PHB tomorrow.

@2L8IWON

Took a running start at it last night.

I used my spring loaded punch to make a divot to get the cutter started.

7mEOgM.jpg

76zR9C.jpg

After that, gently start your cut or the bit will walk off on you. Once the teeth have started the cut, you can add more pressure. It definitely take finesse!

5CrHnI.jpg

I was only able to work for about 45 minutes, so I didn't get very far. But I need to keep the momentum up so I can get back on track.

nXOBxQ.jpg

iXo1sm.jpg

Here was proof positive that some hack replaced the core support. This will be fixed the right way.

KXqAPZ.jpg

I am determined that this will be a nice car.

Reactions: 1 user
Why can you only work for 15 minutes at a time?

Man, I didn't leave the office til 6:15 yesterday, then had to go pick up the dry cleaning, blah blah blah. Didn't get into the garage until after 9 last night. All work and no play makes Collin a dull boy.

I sold the PHB last night too, which was a contributing factor to my late arrival. This allowed me to order the fender panels, will be here tomorrow. :banana:

Looks nice!

BTW, Collin took time out of his busy schedule to acquire me a five lug spare last weekend. With all he has going on, I really appreciate that. Really good guy, Collin is. Thanks, buddy!