Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

Looking good, Collin. Again, very pretty car. If you run out of things to work on, I've got plenty for you down here.. just sayin..

• Sponsors (?)

Hush you!

The deal was projects that can only be done in a day/weekend. Keep in mind this is my ONLY mode of transportation for the foreseeable future. I sold my F150 a few weeks ago.
OHH, OK.:rolleyes:

Like you're gonna do a head and intake swap w/o justifying a cam as well.
I mean.....If it's this far apart, may as well right?

You should be able to do a HCI swap in a weekend.

Until the bolt breaks off in something.

*note to self:
Mark this post for reference for when the Hoopty V2.0 panic posts start to show up.

Just to be safe, I'd ck the bus schedule to be sure it'll get you to work on Monday.;)

Reactions: 1 user
Supposedly has a mild cam already. Although the idle is so round it would fool anyone.

But Mike, did you read anywhere in here that the heads were going on the 302 that's in the car?

See reply #119.
And reply #59... I know, I know.

I guess I forgot to mention that I traded the original wheels and tires that came on the car for a 351w roller motor. So should a bolt break, I shouldn't have any issue drilling it out when it's on the engine stand and the car is parked somewhere with the hood closed. :p

At any rate a mildly built 351 and a 3550 should make for a fun DD, but I won't put the 351 in until I put the megasquirt I've been talking about for years in and learn with it on the 302.

And reply #59... I know, I know.

I guess I forgot to mention that I traded the original wheels and tires that came on the car for a 351w roller motor. So should a bolt break, I shouldn't have any issue drilling it out when it's on the engine stand and the car is parked somewhere with the hood closed. :p

At any rate a mildly built 351 and a 3550 should make for a fun DD, but I won't put the 351 in until I put the megasquirt I've been talking about for years in and learn with it on the 302.

All I know is when swaps are the "plan" the things that made the car a "fun daily driver" i.e PS/PB/A/C, and CC all go into the trash can in favor of simplicity.

And then it becomes a less than fun daily driver.

As long as you don't trade off what you have now for what you'll have then (save for more power and torque), more power to you, red power ranger.

@Sharad Bryan solved my positive camber mystery. Turns out I have 1" shorter A-arms for aftermarket brakes and was unaware of that. Should have the correct ones bought next week although it isn't the easy solution I was in search of. Will be a completely new car before long.

Last edited:
I do have some shame... Haha

And Mike, I just went through all the trouble to get the A/C working and replaced the power steering rack, so it's all staying. This isn't a drag car. We've got that out of our system.

Ahh,...... another convert that has seen drag racing for what it really is:

A one night stand w/ a hot chick w/ an STD.

Fun while it lasted, but now something just broke and fell off, and it's gonna cost a buttload to get it fixed if you want it to run right.

Ahh,...... another convert that has seen drag racing for what it really is:

A one night stand w/ a hot chick w/ an STD.

Fun while it lasted, but now something just broke and fell off, and it's gonna cost a buttload to get it fixed if you want it to run right.

Uhmmmm no not quite. Just want a decent driver. It'll still get raced.

Completed items this weekend:

- new O2 sensor and fuel filter
- cleared CEL
- new driver door hinges
- trim painted ( see "how your fox body currently sits thread")
- strange 10 way shocks installed in rear
- washed and subsequently rained on.

I feel like this car has issues like a Whack-a-mole game. After replacing the fuel filter and 02 sensor this weekend, the car has decided it no longer likes to start when hot. Never had this problem before, happened to me twice yesterday.

The fuel pump primes, nothing has changed, no CEL. Again, nothing changed this weekend other than replacing the 2nd 02 (both are now new) and the fuel filter.

My ears are open for suggestions.

*Edit - will try swapping TFI out at lunch. Will report back.

Last edited:
Couldn't get the Tommie Vaughan Parts department to answer the phone. Oreilly wanted $196 for motorcraft. Will keep looking, or at least order from RockAuto tonight if I can't find one cheap locally.

Do the reverse of whatever you did when it started this new problem. So, put the old O2 back on to start. I doubt a new fuel filter will cause this but if it still does this after putting the old O2 back in then.......I don't know, I'm stumped after that.

Do the reverse of whatever you did when it started this new problem. So, put the old O2 back on to start. I doubt a new fuel filter will cause this but if it still does this after putting the old O2 back in then.......I don't know, I'm stumped after that.
I see your point, but the 02 sensors have nothing to do with starting the car, at least in that capacity. I am going to put a new fuel pump and regulator in and see what that nets me. Even if it isn't the problem, there is still nothing wrong with replacing the 25 yr old hardware before it fails on me at the wrong time.