The idiots on the road, my short story

skunk21

May 22, 2007
Taxachusetts
I was headed to the cape this past week for little vaca with the wife. I made the trek via the pike and 495 and volume was heavy, not a problem usually. Now we all know it's no big secret that drivers over time are getting more pushy and of less skill. I have seen some really crazy moves over the past few years but my contact with them is rare since I try and keep myself out of it.

The problem now is most people are lacking in the basic rules of driving like merging, lane changing, etc. The pike was just heavy volume you would go 70then 50 no big problems 495 was all down hill. I get to the tolls for 495 I have an easy pass so I have to go all the way over to the right, perfect for me it puts me in line for the exit. The people who have to pay cash are spread out and the exits straight across the cash lanes for 495N or you have to cut across to get to 495S. I'm okay since I was so far over but the a#$h*le chick talking on her cellphone decides she owns the world and comes across the tolls, I'm driving in the lane with the right of way headed right into the ramp and she comes across my drivers side fender/nose into the little gap just before the curve of the ramp. I had to get on the brakes and turn right to avoid her. The b*tch just kept going never looked, cell phone in hand not a care in the world. WTF people!!! I laid on the horn mostly for self worth because again it did nothing. I guess I needed to stop to avoid the accident, if I would have held my ground my truck would have gotten damaged doubt she would have cared much she had plenty already.

I'm now headed on 495S far right lane, no big rush headed towards Taunton when a guy is merging into the highway. I have cars next to me in the middle lane and I'm just about at the entrance of his ramp at speed ( if I was further back I would have let up so he could get on) there is enough of a run out area he can use to merge but nooooooo he comes right on, like here I am. I has to slow but get right up on is rear close because I had someone ridding me ( and they where not smart enough to see what was going to happen and give me room) and cars on my left. I'm dragging the brake to keep off him and to keep from getting rearended at the same time, my wife is grabbing the passenger door like she is going to die..again WTF people!!

It gets better, I blow the horn at the guy for almost killing us and I might add if I didn't have any driving skills probally a few others. I then find a hole in the middle lane and jump in it when I going buy my wife looks over at him. doesn't do anything just looks. I'm driving along he shows up in my left in teh high speed lane, there is a huge gap in front of me so he goes for it but cuts my nose super close w/o a binker, it was a f$%^& you cut over what it was but he hauled butt and I let it go. The last and final dump driver of the day because yes it happens in 3s decided while everyone was moving along at the same speed ( about 70 ) to move from the slow lane in cruise since they where catching up to slower vehicle to move into the middle lane with the cruise still on at slower speed than the main body of traffic and almost cause a mega pile up. That was it for me, all I needed at that point was an exit with a route I knew would get me down towards the cape. I finally got of teh highway and we made our way down to the bourne via back road america w/o a problem. Vaca was great, most of the state was in rain we where spared a few more days than them. The ride back yesterday was no bad, little pockets of volume but everyone behaved just the usual one would deal with.

I don't spend much time on highway. My wife travels 84 and she said it isn't no where that bad. I know eastern MA is full of fast paced living and driving vs central/western MA. I had friends that traveled rt's 9. 2 and 3 for starters and they said it was nuts and they all had accidents also. that had to be one of the worst driving days I have had in this state and it was all on 495 during evening rush hour. that was just what was happening to me I was watching other crap going on at the same time.

• Sponsors (?)

You should come on down south if you want to see some real stupid driving. If you think you can handle it, drive in TN. Atlanta is nuts too. CT is close by so you can train there.

People don't know how to drive, literally. Until recently there was little to no driver's education and people learned from their parents who also couldn't drive. The driver's test is way too easy. People just try to get from point A to point B without breaking too many traffic laws, and they are legally considered good drivers. They don't know how to interact with other drives in an efficient way.

Yeah...that's driving in E. mass. Its funny how its perfectly ok to cut someone off with no blinker...but heaven help you if you actually beep at them. Then YOU are the a-hole.

I have stories like that onma daily basis....495 is an easy highway...go on I-93 and I-95 and it's 10x worse.

No blinkers, no looking when merging onto highway, no matching speed when changing lanes, tailgating, etc.

in this last week Ive almost been hit on my bike a few times and my riding buddy found his pant leg in the wheel well of some ashhole who got scared and cranked his wheel all the way left when someone tried merging onto highway. ashhole was in middle lane, buddy was in fast lane in the driver side bike lane, and ashhole just cranked the wheel left with out looking... needless to say he ended up having a motorcycle helmet imprint in his driver side door.

That's one reason I really like Germany. Drivers there have so much more discipline. They aren't perfect, and still pull out in front of you on the highway from time to time, but most are pretty good about getting out of the way and only using the left lane for passing.

America is bad by comparison, but still no where even close to as bad as Paris and all of Italy. Until you've been in Italy, you really have no idea. Laws are essentially not enforced or even paid any mind.

Chris

I drive pretty bad myself. Most of the time it is because I am trying to get away from, or avoid some idiot that almost hit me. Cell phones have been the worst invention in history of the modern driver.

I hate it when I have to ride with my wife, not that she is a bad driver, but she didn't start driving until her mid 20's, and she doesn't have quick assessment/response skills. One day on our way to work (30 miles) while she was driving we almost got into five different wrecks. The funny part about it is we will come across someone not driving like an ass, but once she goes to pass them and they see that our car is being piloted by a female, they start to drive like a tool (I guess to prove their manhood or something).

You should come on down south if you want to see some real stupid driving. If you think you can handle it, drive in TN. Atlanta is nuts too. CT is close by so you can train there.

People don't know how to drive, literally. Until recently there was little to no driver's education and people learned from their parents who also couldn't drive. The driver's test is way too easy. People just try to get from point A to point B without breaking too many traffic laws, and they are legally considered good drivers. They don't know how to interact with other drives in an efficient way.

I actually drive to FLA every year for 2wks. so I have driven down there and been around some real winners.I've been in atlanta, indy and houston to name a few places. I've been driving for over 20yrs and do a pretty good job of reading traffic and staying out of packs, etc. this was a very weird day of driving when I was getting caught in more than the norm of crap.

Yeah...that's driving in E. mass. Its funny how its perfectly ok to cut someone off with no blinker...but heaven help you if you actually beep at them. Then YOU are the a-hole.

I have stories like that onma daily basis....495 is an easy highway...go on I-93 and I-95 and it's 10x worse.

No blinkers, no looking when merging onto highway, no matching speed when changing lanes, tailgating, etc.

I've been Mike although not in a very long time ( pre big dig ) with the Boston area I time it the best I can. My wifes uncle lives in Lexington so when we have traveled up there I try to time that has well, but yeah he tells me some good stories. I have my own, many years ago I drove part time for fuel company, we would pick up additives either out of Acton or Brockton. I met my share of trouble on route 2 and 93S but still very easy to handle and nothing in a big cluster, teh quality of the drivers where much better back then also.

Most drivers know or at least remember parts of their driver's ed, but there are "unwritten" rules of the road when it comes to interstate driving. A lot bad habits out there. I think the manual says you should move over to let cars merge onto the interstate, but in reality I don't think the driver coming on has the right of way, not sure about that though. Personally, if possible, I try to stay out of the far right hand lane. If no one's merging on, someone's slowing to get off, or someone's poking along or an emergency vehicle's got their blue lights on. I just stay out of it.

I use the hammer lane most of the time. I know it's just for passing, but if no one's up my ass I'll stay there. I usually drive at the speed limit or over, so it's usually the safest lane to be in. If a car comes up behind me going faster, I move over. Even if I'm going 80 in a 70 and the guy comes up behind me going 90, I'm getting over as soon as I can.

I don't pass cars or trucks on right, or try not to. I get irritated with drivers not allowing an 18 wheeler to get back over after it's passed a slower vehicle. They all start passing him on his right, and he can't get back over. If I'm next behind him, I'll get on my CB and tell him to come on over.

I don't like making eye contact with drivers, especially if one of us is irritated with the other. Just never seems to end well, and I never use my hands in some kind of gesture, no matter how bad I want to. My wife seems to think that since she's a female, she can get away with the birds and arm waving. One day she's going to piss the wrong guy off. I just hope I'm with her.

I hate tailgaters. If I can move over for the guy, I will. There's no need to ride my rear bumper at 80mph. If I can't move over I can't. Don't dive into the right lane and pass me at the first 10 foot space that comes up, and I'm not going to move over in behind someone doing 55 just for a tailgater. If you dive over there and try to pass me on the right, you're gonna have to earn it :D

when merging onto the highway the person doing the merging on has to yeild and merge safely, the person in his lane at speed has the right of way or piece I got from MA GOV..( a driver merging onto a freeway must yield to traffic upon the freeway. It must be noted that traffic on the freeway cannot intentionally block a driver from merging by either speeding up or slowing down).
I try and move over of possible or do my best to let the other guy in but some times it doesn't work that way. the other problem is when you are doing the highway speed ( :p) and they are doing the same or more on the dam ramp they take away the margin of error. It a game of chicken most times.

Folks around here merge onto the interstate like they were turning onto a country road on a sunny, Sunday afternoon. It's maddening. Somewhere along the line someone forgot to tell these idiots they're supposed to be at or approaching interstate highway speed.... you know, the acceleration lane.

I use the hammer lane most of the time. I know it's just for passing, but if no one's up my ass I'll stay there. I usually drive at the speed limit or over, so it's usually the safest lane to be in. If a car comes up behind me going faster, I move over. Even if I'm going 80 in a 70 and the guy comes up behind me going 90, I'm getting over as soon as I can.

I don't pass cars or trucks on right, or try not to. I get irritated with drivers not allowing an 18 wheeler to get back over after it's passed a slower vehicle. They all start passing him on his right, and he can't get back over. If I'm next behind him, I'll get on my CB and tell him to come on over.

I don't like making eye contact with drivers, especially if one of us is irritated with the other. Just never seems to end well, and I never use my hands in some kind of gesture, no matter how bad I want to. My wife seems to think that since she's a female, she can get away with the birds and arm waving. One day she's going to piss the wrong guy off. I just hope I'm with her.

I hate tailgaters. If I can move over for the guy, I will. There's no need to ride my rear bumper at 80mph. If I can't move over I can't. Don't dive into the right lane and pass me at the first 10 foot space that comes up, and I'm not going to move over in behind someone doing 55 just for a tailgater. If you dive over there and try to pass me on the right, you're gonna have to earn it :D

I do all this. In my defense of the bad stuff. I usually only tailgate and pass on the right b/c 95% of the time I am minding my own business in the showoff lane and some dolt cuts all the way over and then starts poking along @ the limit or under.

Folks around here merge onto the interstate like they were turning onto a country road on a sunny, Sunday afternoon. It's maddening. Somewhere along the line someone forgot to tell these idiots they're supposed to be at or approaching interstate highway speed.... you know, the acceleration lane.

Whats worse is when you are on an entrance ramp trying to build speed and some tard in front of you starts braking.

when merging onto the highway the person doing the merging on has to yeild and merge safely, the person in his lane at speed has the right of way or piece I got from MA GOV..( a driver merging onto a freeway must yield to traffic upon the freeway. It must be noted that traffic on the freeway cannot intentionally block a driver from merging by either speeding up or slowing down).
I try and move over of possible or do my best to let the other guy in but some times it doesn't work that way. the other problem is when you are doing the highway speed ( :p) and they are doing the same or more on the dam ramp they take away the margin of error. It a game of chicken most times.

This is one of the biggest reasons for stop & go traffic IMO (besides the 90% of people that put driving as #3 on their list behind using their phone and applying makeup). I lose my mind when someone is going 20mph on the entrance to the highway or even worse jams the brakes on instead of accelerating to be able to merge properly without effecting 4 lanes of traffic in the process. Don't even get me started on the major bottleneck choke points on 93 that seemingly cripple every car...