The Ls Vs. Coyote Swap Thread

• Sponsors (?)

If you're asking for a comparison in which would be a better swap in a Mustang, that's a no brainier for me. Nothing but a Ford motor in my Ford. There's no denying either of them being great engines. As far as one versus the other, I guess it comes down to personal opinions or feelings. Me personally, I can't stomach a chevy engine in a Ford period, but that's just my .02 cents.

Bossed

Reactions: 2 users
If you're asking for a comparison in which would be a better swap in a Mustang, that's a no brainier for me. Nothing but a Ford motor in my Ford. There's no denying either of them being great engines. As far as one versus the other, I guess it comes down to personal opinions or feelings. Me personally, I can't stomach a chevy engine in a Ford period, but that's just my .02 cents.

Bossed

A lot of people feel that way. I've been on the fence in the past, but I'm starting to come around back towards ford in a ford. Some people say that's silly, brand loyalty is dumb. I pondered going with an LS in an old pickup I own for a while strictly for bang for the buck. At the time 2-3 years ago it indeed was the most hp for the money. Those 5.3 engines could be had for almost nothing. Now, not so much.

I've gone back and forth between daily driving ford and chevys for almost 30 years now, because to be honest, the quality wasn't always with ford. However in 2002 GM really ticked me off with a customer service issue, and I haven't bought one since. That said, I've always been a mustang guy, and being competitive with the camaro guys has always been a thing. It's hard to smack talk your buddy in a camaro when your mustang is chevy powered. But- you gotta give credit where it's due. Bang for the buck is just that, and it is the very epitome of hot rodding.

Dollar for Dollar an LS swap should be cheaper.

However, Coyote motors are putting down nearly 450rwhp with bolt ons...which you have to do in a swap with stock cams.
The only reasonable LS motor to do that would be the LS3, good luck with pricing.

The coyote will idle smooth and get good gas mileage without cracking the motor open.

Heck...my car made 950rwhp on stock cams, stock heads, stock intake...drives like a stock mustang until boost hits.

Motor for motor...the LS swap vs. Coyote is a toss up. Depends on what kind of deals you want. Throw any boost at the car, coyote all day long.

Reactions: 1 user
Nothing beats the sound of a pushrod motor be it ls or sbf. The mod motors just don't have enough bass for me. They make good power but its more than that for me. I get the new technology and blah blah blah but the chest pounding sound you get from the ol pushrods makes the girls panties wet!

Reactions: 1 users
2.3 Ecoboost swap :troll:

LS vs Coyote on a dollar = LS

Anyone and everyone will argue this, but the LS is just an slightly more evolved(revised) Windsor, but the Coyote is a better yet more complex engine.

LS is simple, cheap and well works. After seeing one run on a MS1 and MSD ignition box with a T-5 and AJE.....why not.......

I'm all Ford in Ford, but pricewise I would just use a 302 with a power adder over the other two

but pricewise I would just use a 302 with a power adder over the other two

TFS top end kit on a built 331 with a TKO behind it would be much cheaper and an easier drop in. But, you lose the "coolness" factor of the Coyote swap.

I think most of the allure of the swap is a direct drop in "stock" engine that runs smooth as butter, can have A/C and put down 400HP. Plus it looks badass under the hood.
160650d1403222231t-my-coyote-fox-swap-done-20140609_204449.jpg

Is that worth $10-15K? I dunno. You tell me.

Attachments

• 160650d1403222231t-my-coyote-fox-swap-done-20140609_204449.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 185
  • 160650d1403222231t-my-coyote-fox-swap-done-20140609_204449.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 150
Was reading in another thread that there is no way to get cruise control to work with a Coyote swap.

How about LS? you can get cruise to work in those IIRC.

TFS top end kit on a built 331 with a TKO behind it would be much cheaper and an easier drop in. But, you lose the "coolness" factor of the Coyote swap.

I think most of the allure of the swap is a direct drop in "stock" engine that runs smooth as butter, can have A/C and put down 400HP. Plus it looks badass under the hood.

Which is where I was before I decided to swap. However, the stock block was the limit. If I wanted more, I would have had to spend $2,000.00. Just didn't seem worth the hassle at that time in life.
Was reading in another thread that there is no way to get cruise control to work with a Coyote swap.

How about LS? you can get cruise to work in those IIRC.
You can get cruise control to work. Has to do with different parameters in the tune.

Personal opinion not worth it at all.

Let's say it 15K, what are used higher mileage 2011-12s GT 5.0 going for 20k ish. Rather get a newer car and keep the coolness factor of a/c, decent paint, cruise control. IMO

Yes on the creature comforts same as a new coyote done well,

And of course this
image.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
Personal opinion not worth it at all.

Let's say it 15K, what are used higher mileage 2011-12s GT 5.0 going for 20k ish. Rather get a newer car and keep the coolness factor of a/c, decent paint, cruise control. IMO

Agree 100%,

but, these cars are hobbys. I have no intention of a coyote swap right now (too many house projects to do first) but if I were to do one, the idea of me doing the work myself, swapping in something that just doesn't belong there, and getting it to work with A/C, PS, Hydroboost, etc is a challenge in itself, and part of the fun is undertaking that project. At the end of the day, I agree, you could have bought a 2011 GT 5.0 and had a car you never have to open the hood on, but it's that whole "bought vs built" mentality I guess. I'd like to pull up to a car show, pop the hood, and tell someone about what it took for me to stuff a coyote under there. I actually stopped going to car shows because "you see one Mustang, you've seen them all". The only cars that really caught my eye at shows were the engine swapped cars. 4.6L 4-valve in a 4-eye is one that I still remember to this day.

Just on ebay this past week was a blue notch with a Mach 1 engine and interior. For what it sold for on ebay, you could buy a real Mach 1. I'm sure whoever built it had way more money and time into it.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335821607&icep_item=131899028986

Reactions: 1 user
For sure, I've owned my car for 26 years now. So I had "personal" investment in her and wanted fast fun and reliable which leaves out cheap - but I'll own mine forever so over time it's not that much vs say a mid year coyote which would mean nothing and be traded in a year or two. To me that's the beauty of this hobby. Everyone has a different vision of how they want their ride,
Regardless of model, brand, year or use,
Personally I like and respect all of them

Reactions: 1 users