The Mach 1 is disassembled!!!!

EPIK

Jul 3, 2004
LEFT COAST
As some of you know, I had a major vibration issue with my Mach 1 a while back. Well, it ended up having low compression in 3 cylinders on the driver side which all had burnt exhaust valves. Luckily, I had a warranty on the car & ended up getting most of the cost covered, but I figured since the motor was out of the car, I might as well get both heads rebuilt. I wish I had extra cash so I couldv'e got some aftermarket cams & other upgrades, but money has been tight & to be totally honest, I will be perfectly happy with a car that runs good & strong again... The car has been at the shop for 2 months now (long story LOL), & I am happy that I will have it back most likely by this weekend....

Here is the car sitting 4x4 with no top end on the motor...
007.jpg

012.jpg

Short block wrapped up in a tarp LOL...
009.jpg

The freshly rebuilt heads with bronze guides, new valve seats, & replaced exhaust valves....

001.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg

Before the motor goes back in, I am also adding an LCD cooling mod kit which helps solve the cooling issue that many of the 03/04 32V motors suffer from.

• Sponsors (?)

Wow dustin, thats crazy your mach went through this. She has very little milage and im certain your not too hard on her. I guess it was built on a friday afternoon or something. Thats just crazy for your car to have a compression problem. But glad to hear warrenty covered it.

Wow dustin, thats crazy your mach went through this. She has very little milage and im certain your not too hard on her. I guess it was built on a friday afternoon or something. Thats just crazy for your car to have a compression problem. But glad to hear warrenty covered it.

Yeah, its pretty surprising that the car has a compression issue at only 55k miles. I do beat on the car from time to time, but nothing that would do damage. Warranty covered some of the cost, but I still had to shell out some cash to cover the passenger head (which wasn't damaged, but I decided to rebuild both at the same time) & some miscelaneous stuff...

Looking good, Dustin! Those heads sure do look nice! Hope you get the car back up and running soon!

Thanks Mark... I can't wait...

Disassemble? NO DISASSEMBLE!

short-circuit.jpg

1 of the best 80's flicks....

This whole situation has been epic...

What was the root cause of the failure?

The root cause was a crappy design of the early 2003 32V ford heads & the valve seats & guides wearing out...

your car in "4x4" mode is still lower than half the mustangs around lol

LOL... It looks like a stock GT at that height...

I know how you feel...you must be pumped to get her back soon. :flag:

:lol: :lol:

Glad to hear it's coming back together man. That sucks that it happened, but you're at the end of the tunnel now. I bet you can't wait to get it back on the road.

Can't wait. The car has been out of my garage since february 25th, but I should have it back by friday..

I am sorry to hear about the long road that it has taken for you to get your mach running properly. good luck with the final stages of assembly and that it goes without issue

Oh, the punnage! :rlaugh:

Hope you get the car back up and running soon. By far one of the best looking cars on this site. :nice:

Thanks guys. I will have the car back tomorrow, CAN'T WAIT!!!

Talk about 4x4! Look at the black stang next to yours. That thing is ready for some trails.

Something tells me that the black one doesn't have a motor in it......

Yeah, that car has no power plant in it...

Who drives the vette? :shrug:

Car looks great even without the power plant, and atleast you'll have the comfort of knowing it's got some new internals :)

The Vette is a C6 Z06 that has a salvage title. The owner bought it from an auction, & blew up the motor 500 miles later... It got a new fully built & forged motor with a nasty cam....

Thanks, I wish I could say the car was getting new lower end internals, but the bottom end is still the same, just the heads were rebuilt...

Who did your head work?

All the mechanical work was done by AED up in Cameron Park, but the head machine work was done by Motor Machine in Carmichael.