Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

There is a middle ground CHRIS,...(see I used your name too, Chris.)

PPG branded would be the middle ground. Probably a couple of hundred extra for the stuff over the entry level product. I don't know,...if there was a difference other than durability, I'd consider it, but this car will live inside. Exposure to the sun will only happen when Dave, and I drive to MW in 2017.

You have no idea how much I appreciate that Mike ..

I'll be quite now :)
lol

But youre not building a Mustang... Shouldnt you be driving to Fairmont/Cyclone week? Oh wait

You're right actually. There really isn't a place for a "non-Mustang" in that event.

I said the last time that I went that I was done with it,...but I'd go purely to reinforce to the populace that they are all mindless copycat drones, content to stand around, compare belly buttons, and eat Soylent Green.

"It's People!! Soylent Green is made out of people!"

Reactions: 3 users
SoylentGreen_156Pyxurz.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Unbelieveable... There are guy's,.....then there are guy's.

If you lived in this City,...I'd be the guy that you'd hide from every other thursday night....

*" Dammit!!!! Turn out the lights!!! That stinkin' guy is out there wearing a "Dave's the Man" T shirt in the driveway again! What did I ever do to deserve this?"
tumblr_inline_mjufm95h9s1qz4rgp.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
I am dying to stand around and compare my new belly button to others.

Hey Mike, wouldya pass the soylent green?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
OK.....It's Sunday. The wife has "people" over. It's expected that I stop what I'm doing, and co-mingle. (after all,...it is "our" day,...I can't spend the day in the garage)

All that means in the grand scheme, is that I had to pull a Dave. I'm out there at *AM. (I'll leave the number blank to save the criticism)

What did Mike do before the throng got here then?...

Well,...we bolted on the front bumper, and the fenders,.and started shaping things up.

A83F3002-E925-4662-9CCB-ABC593B4483E_zpsdvucrrct.jpg

98989D96-087E-41E9-859A-676C426462D2_zpsfivtxgug.jpg

So that brings me to a point where I gotta wait for filler to dry.

Next out comes the trunk. I expected that it was gonna go smooth, as it was basically completed..

B13C6837-137F-4681-916F-D8A2FCF95816_zps0ewodosm.jpg

I sprayed two coats of primer,......Why the hell has this become so easy,...and spraying the good stuff resulted in such a bad thing?

I mean,......Orange peel?......
BD752DC7-48D6-4C4F-9397-64F39897B53B_zpsatpwiucz.jpg

There aint no stinkin orange peel.....

Reactions: 5 users
Surely you told them that they would have to shove it up their ass, did that not work?:shrug:
Well. It's time for our nightly recap of Mike's day.

I leave out for work this morning after making a few obscure statements on this forum. I get there 30 minutes late because I left my glasses in the downstairs bathroom. After tearing up the house in a rant to find them, I leave w/o them.

Because who would ever look in the downstairs bathroom anyway. And even if I was,....why in the hell did I feel the need to take them off?....

That sht just dint make any sense.

So,,, I get to work 30 minutes late.....(Which doesn't really matter, because I'm free to make my own hours, as long as there are not more than 40 of them in one week). I get settled in, go say hey to my boss, and my female counterpart says that the sales manager asked her why we were even here.

Whaaattt?

"What did you say?"

"I told him that the GM stated that we had to be here."

"Let me go ask".

I point out to the sales mgr that we are being paid time and a half for this holiday,....and he decides to call the GM and ask whether or not he wanted us there in lieu of that.

"Go home."

NO FREAKIN PROBLEM!

I'm back home at 10:30. I'm in the garage at 10:45.

The fenders get focused on today. I'm happy to say that they are almost ready for primer. I was gonna do just that, but it kept on doing the surprise sprinkle thing, and the fenders would've got caught in that. Additionally, The stupid assed rattle can green etching primer that I used just wasn't dry enough to sand, and it kept clogging the paper. My day in the garage ended at 2:30.

So,....nothing left to do but drink, grill out, listen to music,...and (did I say drink already?) You know, the actual "typical" Memorial day stuff.

The fenders will be done by Thursday, and I'll move to the last piece,...that freakin hood. The hood is actually really close as well with the exception that I have to wipe off/sand off the non-hardened primer that I sprayed on it last month. That is even partially done as well so even that is farther along than I've been btching about.

But,....that center rib is still kinda wonky, and that'll never do, pig.

Reactions: 6 users
Off today, but again, I gotta give up part of it to another customer needing some adjustments.

Since I'll be halfway downtown, and the real reason for the un-necessary blather is to reach out to @Davedacarpainter, and verify that I'm only buying a gallon of paint, and the slowest activator, and reducer available.

So I'll call this update the "Hey Dave, Whadya think about this" update?

I was thinking in the interest of saving time, that I'd paint the undersides of the trunk and hood in lieu of your eventual arrival here.
Additionally, there are the small pieces that got hurt that'll need a recoat, so maybe buy an additional qt. in addition to the gal?

And,...In addition to that,..I've got areas that are gonna get painted Satin black:

Excepting the hood, the Tail light panel; grille, all grille mesh ( exhaust, vents, gills,) and the top of the doors. Painting these before hand will allow us to mask those small areas off so the orange will butt up to it, as opposed to having to mask off a whole bunch of orange to paint a small amount of black. I was just planning on rattle canning those areas But I'll leave that to you to tell me whether or not to go through the process, and use spray-able paint there alternatively

The hood will also get a significant portion of the center painted satin black, but that two tone I'm gonna have to defer to you. I can/could do that on the bottom of the hood so again that'll be done. I've had really good luck with that satin, It is the paint that is in my engine compartment, on the dash, and door bars,..so I have sprayed it before.

Your thoughts here DavedaGerman hater?

As far as goals for the day, I've actually given up on actual "goals".
Now days, if I make any progress where at the end of the day, I'm not looking at a re-do, I'm good. I'll get the fenders done I know,..and that'll lead me back to the hood, where I should get some significant time spent on it before I call it quits.

Off today, but again, I gotta give up part of it to another customer needing some adjustments.

Since I'll be halfway downtown, and the real reason for the un-necessary blather is to reach out to @Davedacarpainter, and verify that I'm only buying a gallon of paint, and the slowest activator, and reducer available.

So I'll call this update the "Hey Dave, Whadya think about this" update?

I was thinking in the interest of saving time, that I'd paint the undersides of the trunk and hood in lieu of your eventual arrival here.
Additionally, there are the small pieces that got hurt that'll need a recoat, so maybe buy an additional qt. in addition to the gal?

And,...In addition to that,..I've got areas that are gonna get painted Satin black:

Excepting the hood, the Tail light panel; grille, all grille mesh ( exhaust, vents, gills,) and the top of the doors. Painting these before hand will allow us to mask those small areas off so the orange will butt up to it, as opposed to having to mask off a whole bunch of orange to paint a small amount of black. I was just planning on rattle canning those areas But I'll leave that to you to tell me whether or not to go through the process, and use spray-able paint there alternatively

The hood will also get a significant portion of the center painted satin black, but that two tone I'm gonna have to defer to you. I can/could do that on the bottom of the hood so again that'll be done. I've had really good luck with that satin, It is the paint that is in my engine compartment, on the dash, and door bars,..so I have sprayed it before.

Your thoughts here DavedaGerman hater?

As far as goals for the day, I've actually given up on actual "goals".
Now days, if I make any progress where at the end of the day, I'm not looking at a re-do, I'm good. I'll get the fenders done I know,..and that'll lead me back to the hood, where I should get some significant time spent on it before I call it quits.
The key to me is painting orange first and then go back and put the black on after that cures. Doing it this way will leave you a far less defined paint line. Plus the black will have the appearance of a factory styled decal. Much more professional looking that way Mike. I've masked off countless panels to spray a matte/semigloss finish after painting the vehicle, it won't be a big deal.

I would put the black on after if it were my car Mike.

If you want to paint the little parts that need orange ahead of time that will need the black on it as well, then I'll show you the way I mask things up that works for me.

The extra quart of paint couldn't hurt.

Go ahead and jamb the hood and deck lid. That'll save us time.

I'll have to call you and talk over the whole thing soon. Get it straight on what we want for a booth and all.

The key to me is painting orange first and then go back and put the black on after that cures. Doing it this way will leave you a far less defined paint line. Plus the black will have the appearance of a factory styled decal. Much more professional looking that way Mike. I've masked off countless panels to spray a matte/semigloss finish after painting the vehicle, it won't be a big deal.

I would put the black on after if it were my car Mike.

If you want to paint the little parts that need orange ahead of time that will need the black on it as well, then I'll show you the way I mask things up that works for me.

The extra quart of paint couldn't hurt.

Go ahead and jamb the hood and deck lid. That'll save us time.

I'll have to call you and talk over the whole thing soon. Get it straight on what we want for a booth and all.

Reactions: 1 user
Finally!

An entire day dedicated To the Monster. No 86 Mustang w/ a locked up Smog pump to confuse me, No goup of friends coming over to hang out at the Wife's Mobile Home Spec 24' above ground pool,...matter of fact,....NO wife. She left to go to her Mother's house this morning to help out with her surgery.

So like I always say........

While that cat's away,....this mouse will play.

Now,...at the end of the day, I'm filthy as all three pigs, and as banged up as Jack after he rolled down the hill. I can barely walk.

But,...I did get some stuff done.

The tagline says that a Gila Monster sheds his skin in early June. I.I.I..can't say for sure if the ones in Arizona do, but I know that the one that lives in Alabama sure the hell does.
B11E4F9F-F78E-4452-9D4D-B853B91BEA23_zpssjn778x7.jpg

E4737561-C983-47DF-8876-F621A83EFF81_zpsmcdsnbf3.jpg

If there is anything good that can come out of the bad thing that is having to repaint a car right after it was repainted, It's that now I can say definitively that those long assed quarters that were really straight, have now become laser straight. After several hours of doing the Karate Kid Shuffle......( Wax on,.......Wax off,......Sand a the floor,......Paint a the fence),... wetsanding the Monster's skin off w/ 800 grit paper has netted me just that.

11E801B8-297D-4EA9-856C-45CCC43D8C4A_zpsznpsjmlz.jpg

098F4B01-0880-4A66-95DC-7A6B0089238E_zps1bkasbne.jpg

That "progress" brought me to lunch time. I took a break, and came back down. I drug the fenders outside shot them w/ a couple of coats of primer, and put them in the sun to dry.

Then,......the hood. The wonky ass center line, primer needing to be stripped back off,....oil canning, stinkin' hood.

This Hood.

D15A2EDC-7362-4355-B1FC-89C303BAC46B_zpslfzw9diz.jpg

I started sanding the thing, but since there is no under hood structure, the thing just flexes like mad. Nothing to be gained by going any further until I fix that.

Why is there no under hood structure you may ask,......Well,......because the center rib had dents in it. The under structure obscured the center rib. I had to cut it away. When I did that, that left the hood very flimsy.

I came up with a Home Depot solution.

397BB926-000E-49EC-978A-EEEF6D9F9347_zpsaiekbx0a.jpg

I welded a shelf standard in the middle of the hood. ( Kinda looks like a scary Halloween mask don't it?)

It burned through the bondo on top, but this hood is such a mess, I wasn't close enough to care about that.

But it don't oil can anymore.

I hope it's not a typical "Do it over 4 times Mike" thing for me,...but what the hell,...everything else has. Why should I expect any less? This is after all, the redo of the other hood I trashed after making a set of scoops that I had to remake, that I decided not to use, and made these instead......So in hindsight,....I've already did the hood 4 times. Maybe this time will be the last?

But, what about the fenders?......You keep saying you're working on the fenders,.and those stupid things are never in any pictures...

Ok......you're right.

Here those dorky looking things are.

D340CC16-95CA-4C26-88DC-12CB31C9B99D_zpswazba0kv.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Finally!

An entire day dedicated To the Monster. No 86 Mustang w/ a locked up Smog pump to confuse me, No goup of friends coming over to hang out at the Wife's Mobile Home Spec 24' above ground pool,...matter of fact,....NO wife. She left to go to her Mother's house this morning to help out with her surgery.

So like I always say........

While that cat's away,....this mouse will play.

Now,...at the end of the day, I'm filthy as all three pigs, and as banged up as Jack after he rolled down the hill. I can barely walk.

But,...I did get some stuff done.

The tagline says that a Gila Monster sheds his skin in early June. I.I.I..can't say for sure if the ones in Arizona do, but I know that the one that lives in Alabama sure the hell does.
B11E4F9F-F78E-4452-9D4D-B853B91BEA23_zpssjn778x7.jpg

E4737561-C983-47DF-8876-F621A83EFF81_zpsmcdsnbf3.jpg

If there is anything good that can come out of the bad thing that is having to repaint a car right after it was repainted, It's that now I can say definitively that those long assed quarters that were really straight, have now become laser straight. After several hours of doing the Karate Kid Shuffle......( Wax on,.......Wax off,......Sand a the floor,......Paint a the fence),... wetsanding the Monster's skin off w/ 800 grit paper has netted me just that.

11E801B8-297D-4EA9-856C-45CCC43D8C4A_zpsznpsjmlz.jpg

098F4B01-0880-4A66-95DC-7A6B0089238E_zps1bkasbne.jpg

That "progress" brought me to lunch time. I took a break, and came back down. I drug the fenders outside shot them w/ a couple of coats of primer, and put them in the sun to dry.

Then,......the hood. The wonky ass center line, primer needing to be stripped back off,....oil canning, stinkin' hood.

This Hood.

D15A2EDC-7362-4355-B1FC-89C303BAC46B_zpslfzw9diz.jpg

I started sanding the thing, but since there is no under hood structure, the thing just flexes like mad. Nothing to be gained by going any further until I fix that.

Why is there no under hood structure you may ask,......Well,......because the center rib had dents in it. The under structure obscured the center rib. I had to cut it away. When I did that, that left the hood very flimsy.

I came up with a Home Depot solution.

397BB926-000E-49EC-978A-EEEF6D9F9347_zpsaiekbx0a.jpg

I welded a shelf standard in the middle of the hood. ( Kinda looks like a scary Halloween mask don't it?)

It burned through the bondo on top, but this hood is such a mess, I wasn't close enough to care about that.

But it don't oil can anymore.

I hope it's not a typical "Do it over 4 times Mike" thing for me,...but what the hell,...everything else has. Why should I expect any less? This is after all, the redo of the other hood I trashed after making a set of scoops that I had to remake, that I decided not to use, and made these instead......So in hindsight,....I've already did the hood 4 times. Maybe this time will be the last?

But, what about the fenders?......You keep saying you're working on the fenders,.and those stupid things are never in any pictures...

Ok......you're right.

Here those dorky looking things are.

D340CC16-95CA-4C26-88DC-12CB31C9B99D_zpswazba0kv.jpg
Mike, you're car will look so damn nice after we shoot it! Sanding it down with that 800 will leave you with a stunning paint job! You'll see my friend.

You're car deserves respect, we'll make it shiny so people will come look at the btchin' details of this monster.

Good job Mikey.

Mike, you're car will look so damn nice after we shoot it! Sanding it down with that 800 will leave you with a stunning paint job! You'll see my friend.

You're car deserves respect, we'll make it shiny so people will come look at the btchin' details of this monster.

Good job Mikey.
And I'm looking forward to that,...especially if the stuff we talked about happens as well. That paint is dead flat when you look at it straight on,.absolutely zero gloss. But in every shot there is still reflections of stuff. (i.e. you can see the Jeep in the quarter, you can see the garage door in the roof),...I'm guessing that that is happening because there is such a flat surface now?

Reactions: 1 user
And I'm looking forward to that,...especially if the stuff we talked about happens as well. That paint is dead flat when you look at it straight on,.absolutely zero gloss. But in every shot there is still reflections of stuff. (i.e. you can see the Jeep in the quarter, you can see the garage door in the roof),...I'm guessing that that is happening because there is such a flat surface now?
yep, correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.