The Mustang Wave?

eric n

Founding Member
Jul 14, 2001
Bakersfield, CA
I posted this on another forum, just thought I would increase visibility by posting it here as well.

First I'm a lifelong Mustang guy. My first car was a 69 Mach 1 and while I have been in other cars from time to time, well over 3/4 of my 30+ years of driving have been behind the wheel of mustangs. I feel a real camaraderie with other mustang drivers and for that matter drivers of all American Muscle cars including Chevys and Dodges (love the new Camaros and Challengers, not mustangs but damn good looking cars).

I find myself giving a nod and small wave to pretty much every nice mustang I see. Seldom is it returned and I've had some very nice mustangs. When I ride a motorcycle, nearly all other riders return a wave. Corvette drivers wave to each other. Hell, even muscle heads give a nod and a, "how you doing?"

I would love to start a tradition of recognizing and respecting other American Muscle Cars as we pass. I would suggest something like a raised fist with the thumb at the side which is sign language for the letter, "A" as in AMERICAN muscle. Ultimately it's all about (North) American workers making great cars for (North) American drivers.

Now I know that many of you might not respond favorably to this, because of brand fanaticism, or just an unwillingness to show respect for, "the other guys." But, I would love to get and give a little love/respect/recognition from other fans of the modern American Pony/Muscle car.

After all it's not like these guys are driving STI's.

• Sponsors (?)

Funny you should post this. I have been doing the same to other Mustangs I see. I get a response roughly 98% of the time. The ones I do not get either do not see me or are of the younger crowd who most likely don't "get" it.
I do also on most occasions give a nod to the older muscle car drivers. I have been a fan off all the American Iron since I was a young boy so I believe the cars and the people who drive them deserve some respect for keeping the tradition and class of automobiles alive.

Aroski

i wish that people in america didn't just ignore one another. its kind of sad. at stoplights everyone is in their own little bubble. we have SO much communication and access and we're more alone than ever.

I'm the exact opposite, everywhere I go, the Mustang crowd has always been a friendly group, although there are some people who just drive them because they got one, the people who are actually into the Mustang or even just the car scene always seem super friendly and wave and talk at stop lights and parking lots.