• Sponsors (?)

94- 95 spindles make a cobra swap so much cheaper. I've got so much stuff for this build just wish I had more time.

Reactions: 1 user
Primer
uploadfromtaptalk1457904631706.jpg

Yippee. Another Christmas day in march. My y pipe and cut out arrived today. Again, very happy with the quality. A little copper rtv and I'm sure this stuff will bolt up well .
aa188bd9512f82841c8989d6e5411ab4.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Test fittting some stuff today...off with the long tubes. Figment is great. A google search and I found a fl-910s oil filter works...on and off no problem. Don't know if I'll rape and explorer for a filter adapter or leave it like it is. Way more access to the plugs an my TFS twisted wedge heads.
9916aa2f137ba5d997b6593aa6eb8e46.jpg
3dddae1cee98f63c573076764b4e447f.jpg
def2d38e718178230a73322adfcb88bc.jpg
2967e2a9a585c81c26cfa9583dad3a78.jpg
341390aa805e3cd5599ff32da826762f.jpg

e9853fa9fe319c099f6646a362a9ae6a.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Alright, still test fitting and ran into a minor issue....the turbo bolts are too short. Not a major issue at all but it means I have to spend more moolah. Smh. Honestly, I'd rather use stainless bolts anyway.
uploadfromtaptalk1458485153645.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1458485184278.jpg

OK...so...little problem number two. The black adapter for the oil feed line doesn't fit the supplied " T " fitting. The thread pitch is different. Another trip to Lowes. Yay.
uploadfromtaptalk1458501412994.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1458501462019.jpg

Made a little more headway. The bolt supplied for the bottom of the adjuster won't work. Had to dig through the old bolt box. I pressed a nylon sleeve into the adjuster knuckle and the spacer on3 provided.

The spacer that the lower alternator bolt goes through had to have 1/4in cut out of it. That's because my thermactor plug sticks out from the block. I used a nut to cover it and trimmed the spacer accordingly. I also used a few washers to space out the adjuster so the lock nuts would spin without hitting the alternator housing. Behind the AC and PS bracket I used three washers to simulate the head on the stud that used to be there.

All in all, between shopping with the wife and taking the kiddo to the movies, today was productive.
uploadfromtaptalk1458520265189.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1458520323845.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1458520374127.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1458520425085.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Found what I needed at Lowes. Thanks to a wise man that's been down this road.

$ 10.47
uploadfromtaptalk1458605629290.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1458605678796.jpg

How about import grey silicone ? With tape or anything else I always leave the first couple threads clean. But pulling this stuff back off I can see how it could unravel and get pushed to the turbo. No more tape...i don't want to take any chances. Thanks @mikestang63 and @Boosted92LX

Wish I knew what the red stuff is they put on the threads of new screw in sensors.

On3 says that the crank case needs to be vented to atmosphere...is that true ? I wanted to use a catch can to try and keep oil escape to a minimum.

Any ideas ?

Also, I was thinking of running amsoil synthetic 10w30. What oil is best for a turbo 5.0 ?

How about import grey silicone ? With tape or anything else I always leave the first couple threads clean. But pulling this stuff back off I can see how it could unravel and get pushed to the turbo. No more tape...i don't want to take any chances. Thanks @mikestang63 and @Boosted92LX

Wish I knew what the red stuff is they put on the threads of new screw in sensors.

On3 says that the crank case needs to be vented to atmosphere...is that true ? I wanted to use a catch can to try and keep oil escape to a minimum.

Any ideas ?

Also, I was thinking of running amsoil synthetic 10w30. What oil is best for a turbo 5.0 ?

Don't use silicone on pipe threads. If not tape, use the ptfe paste. Silicone will leak.

If you don't use a catch can you are going to have a huge mess on your hands. My tuner told me to run two cans, one off each valve cover withno less than a -10 AN (5/8) hose going to each one with a 1 1/2" breather opening on each one. Anything less won't be enough. Using a catch can IS venting to atmosphere... It's just catching the aerosol of oil particles in your crankcase.

As far as oil, that argument has gone on for years here.

Don't use silicone on pipe threads. If not tape, use the ptfe paste. Silicone will leak.

If you don't use a catch can you are going to have a huge mess on your hands. My tuner told me to run two cans, one off each valve cover withno less than a -10 AN (5/8) hose going to each one with a 1 1/2" breather opening on each one. Anything less won't be enough. Using a catch can IS venting to atmosphere... It's just catching the aerosol of oil particles in your crankcase.

As far as oil, that argument has gone on for years here.
Could you post a pic of your can set up ? I only have one breather hole in my trick flow covers. I do have the pcv hole in the lower intake. Just sold my Motorsport vavle covers w/holes on both sides.... Smh ( I'm doing a lot of that lately )

Could you post a pic of your can set up ? I only have one breather hole in my trick flow covers. I do have the pcv hole in the lower intake. Just sold my Motorsport vavle covers w/holes on both sides.... Smh ( I'm doing a lot of that lately )

I built my cans with a buddy who has a tig machine. I drilled both valve covers and welded aluminum bungs in and painted the covers. This is the best pic i have right now. I relocated the driver side can down below the pass side because the combination of lack of a baffle, location of the bung, and angle of the hose and fitting was filling it up with oil in a few miles. Had a fire from an overflowing can pouring out on a hot crossover pipe. Pay attn to that. It sucked..lol. Next time the covers come off I'm going to move the bungs to the front end of the covers.. (Revision 3) The way it's plumbed now is temporary...The engine will come out and when it does a lot will change.
image.jpeg

I baffled the cans and packed them with chips from my buddy's lathe before welding the caps on top. This provides lots of surface area to catch the aerosol. There are tubing fittings in the bottom of each one with tubing going down to a 1/4 turn valve to drain oil.

@Boosted92LX I know you're not a big fan of on3. My boost level will stay around 6 to 7 psi. Until I get a dart block. Just FYI a friend of mine bought an on3 kit for a Mitsubishi Eclipse. These folks know about turbos and have been racing turbos for the 5 years I've known them. Anyway, the on3 wastegate stuck on their car too. It caused the turbo to back spool ( turbonetics anti-surge ). They even were kind enough to let me hear it. Lol. The sound of the turbo brought chills to my spine. With a normal turbo it would cause serious internal turbulence. All this is said just to let you know you're not alone.

Kind of interesting to put trust in a kit that didn't even have the right T fitting in it. Smh.

I've been reading a lot about these kits. One of the best things Ive come across is building a support for the turbo flange. ( from flange to the block ). Helps take some of the stress off the header.

Commenting on the kit won't fully happen until its done and driving. I plan on documenting my whole build here....every dumb decision I make.

Pipe dope is now on my oil feed threads. Guess I'll pull my 4 banger motor and trans so I can bolt up my k member and spindles. I'm running out of room. Figured I'd get all the stuff I can on the car....so I can have room to pull the pan for the drain back. :O_o:

Today when I get off I'm going to start taking the 4 banger stuff out of the car. This is an overwhelming task, unless you have a list, a plan, and a realistic budget.[emoji85]

Today when I get off I'm going to start taking the 4 banger stuff out of the car. This is an overwhelming task, unless you have a list, a plan, and a realistic budget.[emoji85]
Make the plan, then just take one step at a time. I get overwhelmed when I think of all the stuff I have left to do on doby.
I can handle each step though, don't worry that you need to drink the whole keg, just take time and enjoy that next beer!:cheers:

I'm feeling it....9 down...gotta get up and go to work in the am. I'll leave it like this till tomorrow.
uploadfromtaptalk1458874964774.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1458875007834.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1458875062960.jpg