Fox The Proper Way To Build A Sleeper

• Sponsors (?)

I think thats his name....i just know his user name is demah or denmah cant remember exactly on some other forums i follow....wasnt sure if some of his builds had made it over here yet.....
Yeah he is the creator of sloppy mechanics. Does some cool stuff .

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah he is the creator of sloppy mechanics. Does some cool stuff .
If you call " cool" throwing a junkyard 5.3 into an ugly assed, bench seated, column shifted, 4 door dork mobile, and then putting an 88 mm turbo on it, and dumping the noisy assed, smelly down pipe in front of the passenger side front tire "cool stuff",....then yes, he does.

Sleepers............yaawwwnnn....:sleep:

Last edited:
If you call " cool" throwing a junkyard 5.3 into an ugly assed, bench seated, column shifted, 4 door dork mobile, and then putting an 88 mm turbo on it, and dumping the noisy assed, smelly down pipe in front of the passenger side front tire "cool stuff",....then yes, he does.

What if he did it wearing white gloves and keeps his pinky in the air? :O_o:

Different story then, I'd wager. :chin

Cool in the sense that it shows a method of making power cheaply and easily. Does it live a long and fortuitous life? Probably not, but for a few thousand dollars total, what do you expect?

I seem to remember having a heated debate about the same topic a few years back and it never really made any headway one way or another.

Cool in the sense that it shows a method of making power cheaply and easily. Does it live a long and fortuitous life? Probably not, but for a few thousand dollars total, what do you expect?

I seem to remember having a heated debate about the same topic a few years back and it never really made any headway one way or another.

Yeah, as I recall I was using his example to justify being able to raid a junkyard Silverado, and take the engine, computer, and 4L60E trans, then transfer that stuff in its stock form ( with the exception of a cam, and intake change,) and be able to throw in reliable 350/375 hp/tq for the proven dollar amount of about 2500.00, that would've managed 27 MPG.

Having considered doing that myself, I'm still convinced that I'd be driving the current project now had I done that.

Does that change the fact that I think that the topic car here is still stupid?

Nope. It's a freakin four door fairmont......Websters has a picture of the car under the definition of stupid. Last time I looked, the web forum title here is Stangnet, not Montnet. If everybody thought that his rolling buck teeth were so cool, you'd see a lot more of these cars, instead of the obscure lone wolf where one idiot has spent way too much time and money trying to make one less stupid.

Does that change the fact that I think sleepers are equally stupid?

Nope. Who cares that you beat a 2015 Shelby GT 500 with that raggedy assed car? I'll take getting my ass beat every time in the Shelby to having to sit a minute on the bench seat of the 4 door USS Poindexter. Scary Fast, noisy, hot, smelly, and uncomfortable is still noisy, hot, smelly, and uncomfortable. Not to mention stupid.

In case I didn't say it, Sleepers are stupid.

Last edited:
That doesn't say sleeper. Screams smelly sedan that probably reeks of cracking vinyl and molding carpet. I can truly get behind a cheap track car but damn that's fugly. Build something like roadkills rotsun or hell they even pushed a duster into the 10s with an rv motor. That's a sleeper.

When I was in high school I had a buddy that drove the same car save for blue paint. Good grief he caught a lot of crap over that car being a dork mobile. I used to hate them too, but they've grown on me. The two door version is much cooler, but I've seen pics of four doors that actually looked pretty good. That said, if I were going to drive that car, it would need some aesthetic changes, definitely. Maybe I'm getting old, but I've actually considered recently getting a town car and supercharging it to make a mercury marauder of sorts. Not for a sleeper, just something more comfy than a mustang, but still hauls the mail. A new CTS-V is not exactly in the budget.:shrug:

When I was in high school I had a buddy that drove the same car save for blue paint. Good grief he caught a lot of crap over that car being a dork mobile. I used to hate them too, but they've grown on me. The two door version is much cooler, but I've seen pics of four doors that actually looked pretty good. That said, if I were going to drive that car, it would need some aesthetic changes, definitely. Maybe I'm getting old, but I've actually considered recently getting a town car and supercharging it to make a mercury marauder of sorts. Not for a sleeper, just something more comfy than a mustang, but still hauls the mail. A new CTS-V is not exactly in the budget.:shrug:
I have an idea of getting my hands on a two-door '87 or earlier Crown Vic and swapping in a nice engine with a five or six speed. Kind of like an '80s interpretation of a '66 Galaxie 7-litre.

Who says all sleepers are noisy, hot, smelly and uncomfortable?

Yeah, as I recall I was using his example to justify being able to raid a junkyard Silverado, and take the engine, computer, and 4L60E trans, then transfer that stuff in its stock form ( with the exception of a cam, and intake change,) and be able to throw in reliable 350/375 hp/tq for the proven dollar amount of about 2500.00, that would've managed 27 MPG.

Having considered doing that myself, I'm still convinced that I'd be driving the current project now had I done that.

Does that change the fact that I think that the topic car here is still stupid?

Nope. It's a freakin four door fairmont......Websters has a picture of the car under the definition of stupid. Last time I looked, the web forum title here is Stangnet, not Montnet. If everybody thought that his rolling buck teeth were so cool, you'd see a lot more of these cars, instead of the obscure lone wolf where one idiot has spent way too much time and money trying to make one less stupid.

Does that change the fact that I think sleepers are equally stupid?

Nope. Who cares that you beat a 2015 Shelby GT 500 with that raggedy assed car? I'll take getting my ass beat every time in the Shelby to having to sit a minute on the bench seat of the 4 door USS Poindexter. Scary Fast, noisy, hot, smelly, and uncomfortable is still noisy, hot, smelly, and uncomfortable. Not to mention stupid.

In case I didn't say it, Sleepers are stupid.
lebowski1.jpg

You're just trying your best to get me to circle back around, and wade back in here aren't you?;).

I'll admit to occasionally getting all bunched in a wad on certain things. The " sleeper" thing is a button pusher for me. The notion that somebody thinks it's " cool" to dump 800 hp into the stupidest possible chassis they can find just to rain on the guy driving the C7 Vette's parade always has me scratching my head.

So?

You built a mega power, 4 door warthog that goes really fast in a straight line.

Whoa!:rolleyes: Big fukin deal.

Doesn't have AC, won't stop for sht, corners like a pig, looks like ass, not to mention all of the other previously mentioned flaws, and you expect the Vette owner to be upset because that turd just smoked him at a red light.

That embarrassment will only last until the Vette guy parks his car, and looks back at what he just got out of.

" Sleeper"

The word needs to be banned from automotive vernacular.

A sleeper is the box an OTR truck driver crawls into after he's driven 8 hours.

And while I'm at it......Who even does that anymore? When was the last time you decided to roll into the throttle from a stoplight, and race the guy next to you?

Pull up next to me in that thing, rev the engine, and I'd just look at you like " What?"

Last edited:
I am a fan of doing more with less, which is a form of "sleeper" I suppose. Although I will maintain I am not a fan of "sleepers" per say. Making a poo tonne of power with a motor that is well know to make a poo tonne f power, then bolting a hair dryer to it does not impress me. Everyone knows it should make a poo tonne of power... and it is expected to do so.
The car above does not interest me.
A sleeper that did interest me locally was a Ford Pinto, straight as an arrow, perfect period correct paint, siting on it's steel wheels like a stock Pinto, stock interior, also immaculate, running the "stock" 4 cylinder, although internally much worked over, and with hidden N2O.
No matter where you looked at/in that car it said "I have nothing to offer". Ran bottom 10's looking like an 18 second car.
Another sleeper that was my favorite of all time, was a white areo nose LX. Stock intakes, valve covers, old style iron TW heads (look just like E7's externally), all accessories, factory air box, battery in the tray ect etc. This was the most stock looking thing you've ever seen but was actually a well built 347. Hidden N2O, 9's looking like a 15 second car. I've had the pleasure of handling the "stock" HO intakes that car ran... literally paper thin. Held up to the light, you can see, well, light through them. Unfortunately, not for sale... otherwise they'd be bolted to my car.

Reactions: 1 users
I am a fan of doing more with less, which is a form of "sleeper" I suppose. Although I will maintain I am not a fan of "sleepers" per say. Making a poo tonne of power with a motor that is well know to make a poo tonne f power, then bolting a hair dryer to it does not impress me. Everyone knows it should make a poo tonne of power... and it is expected to do so.
The car above does not interest me.
A sleeper that did interest me locally was a Ford Pinto, straight as an arrow, perfect period correct paint, siting on it's steel wheels like a stock Pinto, stock interior, also immaculate, running the "stock" 4 cylinder, although internally much worked over, and with hidden N2O.
No matter where you looked at/in that car it said "I have nothing to offer". Ran bottom 10's looking like an 18 second car.
Another sleeper that was my favorite of all time, was a white areo nose LX. Stock intakes, valve covers, old style iron TW heads (look just like E7's externally), all accessories, factory air box, battery in the tray ect etc. This was the most stock looking thing you've ever seen but was actually a well built 347. Hidden N2O, 9's looking like a 15 second car. I've had the pleasure of handling the "stock" HO intakes that car ran... literally paper thin. Held up to the light, you can see, well, light through them. Unfortunately, not for sale... otherwise they'd be bolted to my car.
Those are my types of "sleepers". There is a class of "Grudge Racers" that comes to our track occasionally. They shut the boards down so nobody knows exactly how fast anybody runs. Seen some cars that look relatively mild that are very quick(how quick? Not sure. Lol). Most wouldn't be defined as sleepers though. I did see a Silverado pickup at the track a few weekends back go high 11's and looked/sounded stock. I thought that was cool.

Does nothing for me but to each his own. Mostly because my parents owned a few of these and I remember how close the Big 3 came to removing themselves from the market with this stamped junk. steel, and horrible motors that were lucky to live as long as your payment book. Always had a soft spot for 302 Pintos, and yes, they were junk too. :)

Does nothing for me but to each his own. Mostly because my parents owned a few of these and I remember how close the Big 3 came to removing themselves from the market with this stamped junk. steel, and horrible motors that were lucky to live as long as your payment book. Always had a soft spot for 302 Pintos, and yes, they were junk too. :)

Well, I wouldn't go that far.

Despite the dorkiness of the 4 door sedan, and wagon, the fact still remains that the fairmont is " Yo baby daddy".

It is a fox mustang wearing high water pants and a pocket protector.

I agree that Detroit allowed the quality of their products to slip to the bottom of the ladder in the late 70's to the point of giving Honda the keys to the kingdom, but Fairmont, and the fox platform that followed was Fords start out of the bottom of the barrel.

Lightweight, and modeled after a small Mercedes was considered " cutting edge" in 1980.

And while I know that the pitiful 3.3 L 6 banger was slightly faster than walking, people pull those running engines out of every fox body that gets a swap.

Last edited:
Well, I wouldn't go that far.

Despite the dorkiness of the 4 door sedan, and wagon, the fact still remains that the fairmont is " Yo baby daddy".

It is a fox mustang wearing high water pants and a pocket protector.

I agree that Detroit allowed the quality of their products to slip to the bottom of the ladder in the late 70's to the point of giving Honda the keys to the kingdom, but Fairmont, and the fox platform that followed was Fords start out of the bottom of the barrel.

Lightweight, and modeled after a small Mercedes was considered " cutting edge" in 1980.

And while I know that the pitiful 3.3 L 6 banger was slightly faster than walking, people pull those running engines out of every fox body that gets a swap.

Yes things started getting better soon after. The head was off my mother's Granada (same thing) twice before the car had 40,000 miles. I know she thought she was upgrading from her Pinto at the time. :)

The quality of the steel and lack of plating or painting was one of the biggest issues here in the rust belt. It was pretty amazing for a car to last 10 years.