Fox The Proper Way To Build A Sleeper

I really wanted to build a blue Fairmont, Windsor swap, manual, AC, upgraded suspension, nice stereo, and restored interior. Then I started totaling what I would spend. When I drove a Grand Marquis and it hit me, it was better than any FAIRMONT I could make and it left me money for other projects. All I had to do is put Shrine emblems on it, now it looks like I am in Grandpa's car! I still want a supercharger and a limited slip, but I am going to enjoy driving the wheels off this luxury police car at 27 mpg on the interstate.

• Sponsors (?)

Oh, about the Pinto - a high school where I grew up got a bunch of them donated to the auto shop program. I drag raced one at the strip with my stock 79 302/SROD Mustang. The pinto was painted wild school colors and sounded like a sewing machine with stomach gas at idle. Not exactly a sleeper. When it took off, the four cylinder sounded like an airplane. While I spun one tire, it showed me tail lights and I never came close to catching up. How embarrassing!

I have been following Matt Happel on his facebook group for years. It is entertaining, but I don't really have any personal appreciation for the types of cars he builds. He is a generous person who gives free advice, and tunes to almost anyone. I can always appreciate a person like that. Originally that car was built for $4500 with a child's football from Kmart stuffed in the rear spring to correct the torque on launch. That car is named "Leroy Brown," you can look it up on the internet. It has had huge modifications done to it since this was written, and runs somewhere in the 8 second range. It is owned by Michael Breinin in the New Orleans area, and is currently for sale.

That being said, this is it's own little racing cult. The Slops put these 5.3 engines with a Chinese turbo charger and intercooler in any damn thing with 4 wheels. These are not budget builds by any realistic standard. They only get between 5 and 7 passes on the engine before the block cracks. Basically they are out to see what they can get away with one time. Matt had to drive that car 100 miles from PA to a track where tech was slacking because he had no proper safety equipment in it. He has been kicked out of just about every track in the Northeast. I am particularly sensitive to safety equipment because I lost a close friend just last week when he veered off the highway and hit a palm tree in a car he bought from another member of Sloppy Mechanics. PLEASE DON'T SKIMP ON THE SAFETY STUFF.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user