The Reenmachine DOHC '67 Shelby Clone Convertible Progress

exhaust

reenmachine said:
Look on the previous page (p. 21). It was actually pretty straightforward.

I don't know how I missed that pic. It looks good. How close are the forward struts to the mufflers when the suspension is at full compression? I must have mounted the IRS a little higher in the frame because there is no way I could put mufflers where your's are. Also, I am using the TCP subframe connectors and cross brace and it's really tight up there. I modified the cross brace to mount the struts.

• Sponsors (?)

mustbereel said:
I don't know how I missed that pic. It looks good. How close are the forward struts to the mufflers when the suspension is at full compression? I must have mounted the IRS a little higher in the frame because there is no way I could put mufflers where your's are. Also, I am using the TCP subframe connectors and cross brace and it's really tight up there. I modified the cross brace to mount the struts.
The Magnaflows I used are pretty thin -- there's plenty of room. Plus, only a corner of the muffler "overlaps" with the forward strut, and very near to the strut's attachment point where it moves very little.

If you go through Magnaflow and Flowmaster's websites, there are many shapes and sizes of muffler to fit in various nooks & crannys. I even considered using the Flowmaster Hushpowers, which are long & cylindrical, and mounting them on either side of the fuel cell.

Here's a link to the first vid. It's 1.6 megs.

It's pretty funny because the engine doesn't even move when you start it or rev it, so you conspiracy theorists will probably think it's video of a dead engine with the sound dubbed over. :p You do see the belt start moving and the throttle move when I rev it...

More vids soon. I'll get one from the back to capture the sound better.

(replaced by better vid below)

Hi Pete,

I am thrilled that you have finished your project. I am sure that there might be a few minor little items you may need to finish up, but, on a build like this, there is always something.

Where you going to take her for her first event? Maybe we can meet up.

Congrats on a fantastic build. I hope you are going to enjoy the fruits of your labor, at least for a little while.

Now that the project has been done for awhile, and from your website I see some of you other projects are also finished, could you give us a comparison of the various sound deadening products that you used in the three different cars. Performance, value for the money, ease of use, finishing options, etc.

65mistress said:
Hey Pete
Do you have any action shots of the vert? I'd love to see a video of it cruising by at warp speed if not ludicrous speed, or at least just a drive by. Not a 'gansta' style drive by either. :D

Ok, I'll stop talking now.... :rlaugh:
Well, it just rained for like a week so it's been sitting pretty idle. I haven't even had a proper wheel alignment done yet, but have an appointment for Wednesday at 8 am. I'm just about to wire up the tire pressure monitor and some other stuff and get it out on the road again, but I don't want to get too crazy until after the alignment.

OK, lots of inquiries about sound deadening. The fastbacks aren't on the road yet, and they'll be the real indicator, since they can be closed up. The 'vert doesn't even have a top on it yet, but the Cascade Audio Engineering materials seem to keep unwanted road noise from underneath in check. The wheelwells are coated with a healthy coat of 3M Body Schutz (rubberized stuff) on the wheel side, and that is doing a really good job of eliminating the pebble/sand/whatever noise from stuff getting kicked up by the tires.

I am really looking forward to seeing how the Lizard Skin performs in the green fastback. It gets in every nook & cranny since it's a spray-on, but I'm curious as to whether it deadens things as well as a nice heavy adhesive mat.

I'll report back when I know more.

Alright -- lots more road time today! Despite it being in the 20s this morning and the 'vert still being without a top, I made my 8 am appointment at the alignment shop. Of course there were a lot of stares at the car as I motored down the freeway, but there were also a lot of stares at the weirdo dressed in all of his mountaineering clothing driving a convertible with the top down in sub-freezing weather! :p

Got a 4-wheel alignment done due to the IRS. They didn't have to touch the rear -- guess I nailed it when I put it together (even a blind dog finds a bone once in a while). The Heidt's MII front is easy to align and he made short work of it.

I was waiting to really drive it until it was aligned, so off I went. If anyone's familiar with the Flagstaff area, there's a ski resort called Arizona Snowbowl a short way out of town. The road up to it is seven miles of tight switchbacks connected by short to medium straightaways, all uphill, topping out at 9800 feet. It is a sublime drive, and this time of year (too cold for summer sightseeing and no snow yet) there's nobody on it. I blasted up it, then turned right around (see previous comment about freezing-ass cold and no top) and cruised down. Awesome. On the long straight at the bottom I couldn't resist and took it up to 105 mph -- smooth as silk and very "in-control" feeling. I'm addicted!

The DOHC mod motor really comes alive above 3500 rpm. It's almost like a turbo spooling up when that thing comes up on the cams!

Put about 50 miles on it today and so far, so good. No leaks or anything.

Sound Control

I also used the Lizard Skin Ceramic Insulation and the Sound Control Formula. (PS. got a $140 gun for sale at half price) and am wondering if I should use the mat, also. Let us know.

I got your E-Mail about the console window switches. Thanks! Gonna be at SEMA in Vegas? Gonna have the car there? Drop me an E-Mail and we'll hook up!

wow!!! i just read this whole thread and man am i ever impressed!

reenmachine, this build has to be one of the, of not THE coolest build ive ever seen (but then again... i read a bit about the SN65 project a long time ago lol, when i was registered under a different username)

i've been looking at IRS for a while now, and figured it was all a pipe dream. way to go! it looks great. maybe someday i'll have a rear setup like that (hehe, i already have the mustang II front suspension ;) )

anyhow, kudos for one killer 'stang