Progress Thread Tanner's "there's Probably A Name For This Illness" Builds Thread

• Sponsors (?)

That's just the kind of strange technique I was after!
Probably not quite as "innovative" as Scotts' plan, A blue propane torch, and a 1.5" putty knife has the floor stripped in about minutes 1 hr for me. It leaves a black residue that can be easily wiped away w/ lacquer thinner on a rag. The thinner literally wipes the paint off to the factory primer.

I cant keep up with all of this madness.

FYI, boss inc makes a very nice cowl hood that is half the price(shipped) of that shoenick stuff and it is very nice. I think shoenick makes very nice stuff but the price is way past what the average guy is willing to spend.

Reactions: 1 user
I cant keep up with all of this madness.

FYI, boss inc makes a very nice cowl hood that is half the price(shipped) of that shoenick stuff and it is very nice. I think shoenick makes very nice stuff but the price is way past what the average guy is willing to spend.
I looked at boss inc and kaenan because they always look awesome. But damn, anytime you read into ANY auto company anymore it's nothing but bad reviews. I think it's more of a customer issue than a company issue but it makes it hard to buy anything. Schoneck was 100% good reviews but you sure pay for it.
I guess I missed why you were selling the engine/trans?
Had been kicking around the idea of going to a milder 5.3/6.0 and t56 so I could really cruise it.
But once I pulled everything, some other interests are taking priority for now.
I need to get a new(er) vehicle and we've found a house we're really interested in. Sort of a family friend, who used to build hotrods, is moving and it's a house we really like and the garages are sweet.
We'll see what happens, but toys are the lowest priority so it wasn't a hard decision for now.

Reactions: 1 user
Well played. House has been the best thing I've ever bought. You sparked my interest at garages, as in more than one?
Here's a terrible picture.
image.jpg

The 3 are all attached and a carport on the end but the concrete driveway stretches all the way down the side of the house. There are work benches built inside already and it's a really nice home.
I loved what I had built but apartment life is not for us and I could build a hell of a car with that kinda workin space

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I looked at boss inc and kaenan because they always look awesome. But damn, anytime you read into ANY auto company anymore it's nothing but bad reviews. I think it's more of a customer issue than a company issue but it makes it hard to buy anything. Schoneck was 100% good reviews but you sure pay for it.

I dunno, I've bought 2 boss inc hoods now and customer service has been great and the body shop loved the hoods because of how little prep they took. Plus, they have free freight shipping to local freight terminals, which for me was my local bus terminal about 15 minutes from my house. The only bad I've heard about the boss inc stuff is that the hood layers separated for a couple guys but from what i saw they were sent new hoods for nothing and it wasn't something that was a widespread problem.

I dunno, I've bought 2 boss inc hoods now and customer service has been great and the body shop loved the hoods because of how little prep they took. Plus, they have free freight shipping to local freight terminals, which for me was my local bus terminal about 15 minutes from my house. The only bad I've heard about the boss inc stuff is that the hood layers separated for a couple guys but from what i saw they were sent new hoods for nothing and it wasn't something that was a widespread problem.
Yeah those were the stories I saw. Otherwise it's just like you said. The car has taken another turn anyways so a hood more like a Boss Inc will be more likeky. Thanks for the recommendation

Today I did a good deed.

Trading my SN95 shell, front and rear suspension parts and the dark stars for a 358w motor.
I feel a lot better knowing it's gonna get put to use instead of wasted

Realistically the front/rear suspension would have netted me $500 or so with the struggle of parting it all out
The wheels were $1200
And the shell was worth a whopping $100-200 sitting like it was.
So let's call it $1800.
For a 351w (flat tappet though)
Forged pistons
ARP top to bottom
Vic Jr
AFR 205s
Comp cam
Long tubes
Etc etc

Not a screaming victory but it'll do and be easier to sell for sure

In other news, the motor and trans sold. Got a guy coming in the next day or two to put a windshield in the coupe as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Looks like I'll be getting a TCI RMVB built C4+ $100 in trade for my cobra bumper as well.
Needs the bands adjusted that I posted about in tech.
If I wanted a big cam, 3speed car I woulda kept what I had but I definitely feel like I've come out ahead on these parts (lost my ass overall still)
I've got access to the right driveshaft, then I'd just need a 750 carb and a converter to get the blue car "whole"
Again.
Probably won't bother with it but the options there!

Well, I disagree with the route the build is taking but I am selfish and wanted to see what obstacles you were going to run into so I could learn from ya. But, still looks like it will one nice car.

Trading something you have sitting around for something you can use is always a plus in my book
I don't thnk there was anything wrong with his LS motor and he pretty much had everything he needed for the LS build except maybe a driveline but he has that problem now too.

Well, I disagree with the route the build is taking but I am selfish and wanted to see what obstacles you were going to run into so I could learn from ya. But, still looks like it will one nice car.

I don't thnk there was anything wrong with his LS motor and he pretty much had everything he needed for the LS build except maybe a driveline but he has that problem now too.
Trust me man, I "disagree" with it too. But today I wrote a check and paid off all my debt and was able to stash back a small chunk of change to get myself a newer truck with. And we can move forward on a house. And with all that I'm still able to have the coupe and now this Windsor sittin around.
I'm really happy I got the chance to do the LS swap and see if I could handle it. Ive got a lot more confidence going into whatever my next project may be.

I learned a ton about the LS motors and engine management, and that's what it's all about for me.

You should do just fine on your build but feel free to PM me anything you get hung up on