The Simple Things In Life

none67

Oct 19, 2003
Hey guys,

I was just thinking of my car(well, i can't say i just started, shes most of my life), and what to do with it, as now i have that whole suspention set back...Anyway, i was just thinking of the "simple" things in life, like driving my car.

Now, i am only 16 and i have never yet felt the enjoyment of driving my car as it is still being resorted. I was just curious how this feels, it must be nice able to do something you love and pretty much base your life around(driving a mustang) everyday (weather permiting of course).

For the past few years my life has just hit the bottem of the toilet called life, and yet i mange to still grip on to it somehow by working on my car... to make a long story short the nuts on the strut rod were so rusted that i threw out my back monday morning because of all the stress i put in it during sunday night (all i have are hand tools, not that i'm complaining).

With all the rust, and the set backs and life that has slowed me down so much that i might not beable to get her done for this years summer... its gonna be close..

I'm just looking for some motivation.. if anyone got some cool mustang pics, or vids, or words ar anything that will keep me goin it will be great. thanks guys. i don't mean to be a bother with this post.

• Sponsors (?)

A nice Mustang can be a wonderful source of fun, pride and pleasure. I've owned 14 '65-'66 Mustangs over the past thirty years and I've yet to tire of them. (Although I've never considered them to be a focal point in my life)

The convertible in my avatar is #2 of the 14 and it still "lives" in my garage strictly as a "toy" for special days. Although totally roadworthy, it is now repectfully "retired". At one time it was a daily driver and has been to Dearborn for the 25th anniversay at Ford, to Reno for "Hot August Nights" and partcipates in in local shows every summer.

Fun to drive, easy to maintain, competitive at the shows; this car is a great source of satisfaction. Welcome to Stangnet!

all i got to say is that I'm going through the same stuff bro...now I'm only 15 (sophomore) but my birthdays in July and I got a 66 that i'm restoring right now with my pops. I find it to get real stressful at times but I always get these pictures in my head about how awsome its gonna be when I'm done and how I can show all my friends that my car is totally better than theirs (everyone at my school drives tahoes, explorers, or broncos) and everyone already thinks my car is bad ass even though it looks like 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me'. So my main motivation is just the thought of the beauty of it when it will be done. Man I cant wait. Hopefully it will be done by the time I turn 16

I've had my Stang for ten years. I've done 99% percent of the work on it myself. It's a labor of love. I'm lucky enough that I can take it out and drive it once in awhile. Is it perfect? Not by a long shot. Do I enjoy driving it? You better believe it! I've thought about selling it a couple times for various reasons and my friends and family have talked me out of it. And when I get behind the wheel and get the looks on the freeway, I remember why I have that car.

A few years ago, I realized the same thing, that there is nothing on earth more relaxing and satisfying than a pleasure drive in whatever turns you on. Here's what made me think this: several years back, my brother got paralyzed in an off-road accident. He's been in a chair ever since, and even though he's got the best attitude about it I've (and his doctor) ever seen, I still can't imagine what it's like. About a year later, a friend of the family took a fall at work, landed on the back of his head, and is in a similar situation, plus he's bigger (which makes it harder to move around) and older. That same year a friend and racing buddy thought it would be great way to make money by growing dope and selling it for big profits. He was killed during an arguement over prices and left behind a beautiful wife and two toddler-age daughters. To clear my head, I took a ride on my streetbike (no, not a friggin' Harley!) early one Sunday morning. The weather was perfect, there was no wind, and I felt truly blessed to have the opportunity to get that day. I think of another day like that someday soon whenever it seems like my car will never be finished, but I know it will. It has to, I need another beautiful morning's drive...soon.

Ah, yes I remember the days of high school, bragging to everyone about the cool new stang i got (although it wasnt new, it had a lot of restoration coming its way) and all my friends thought it was badass before they even saw it. Two years later, and one week before graduation, I get to drive it to school, and as I pull into the parking lot everyone within hearing range of my exhaust came running out to see who was driving up in such a loud car. That was the greatest feeling in the whole world... knowing that i had completed my goals for what I had told everyone, and everyone coming out to enjoy the moment with me. Now my goals are set even higher and I am back in that same position where I am restoring it even further (in high school it was just to be road worthy NOT to be show car quality) I will acheive these goals and I always see what my car can be not what it is now.

none: what you wrote is depressing. There are days I widh I could be 15 or 16 again...oh the fun I would have!!! and the rap sheet to follow!!

Step back take a deep breath of fresh air!! you are missing the whole point. The car is only one small piece of the thing called "life". I have had three mustangs so far, a 65 I wrapped around a tree, my 67, and my new 02. But in bewtween have been other cars and a whole lot of other experiences that did not center on cars at all. Enjoy the ride while you are on planet earth.

So, what happens if the car is not finished in time for summer....you have a summer project!! :)

From an older stanger...go watch Monty Python's "Life of Brian"...and always look on the bright side of life...

at least you aren't hoping to drive an accord.

sorry, i didn't mean for it to be depressing.. just venting a bit.

Problem with me is that i moved here just over a 1 year ago. There is nothing to do here, everyone is a snob, or just a plain pain in the ass. I don't really get a long with my family that well, and when i moved here i had a girlfriend that was my best friend for a while before we started going out.. so it was really.. something.

To my suprise my dad actually bought my 67 coupe.. which was something soooo out of charter that it was actually kinda scary (it was 1k(cdn) plus 750 to truck it here(cdn)) Although there was some "terms of service" to go along with it.

So all i really have to do is to work on my car(one of the greatest joys of my life). Thing is i'm 16 so i can only have so much money and i am currently unemployed, and as we all know: "Good an't cheap, and cheap an't good".

well i'm off to help my mom i guess... have a good one guys

Well, I have had my Mach for three and a half years. Never driven it.

I have spent countless hours sanding, and painting (and re-painting) working side jobs, planning, designing, and just dreaming.

Enjoy the process, because it becomes addicting. Don't be in such a hurry that you forget to have fun working on the old car. The back will heal, and the car will still be there.

Now for your strut rods. First soak the crap out of them with a penetrating oil like WD-40. Let them sit, and soak them again. Get yourself a 1/2" drive breaker bar, and just take those nuts right off. ;)

You will also find that you're going to have to motivate yourself most of the time. No one on this Earth cares about your car like you do. So no one on this Earth cares if it drives and runs like you do.

SO GET TO WORK...lol...

none67 said:
Problem with me is that i moved here just over a 1 year ago. There is nothing to do here, everyone is a snob, or just a plain pain in the ass.

To my suprise my dad actually bought my 67 coupe.. which was something soooo out of charter that it was actually kinda scary (it was 1k(cdn) plus 750 to truck it here(cdn)) Although there was some "terms of service" to go along with it.

So all i really have to do is to work on my car(one of the greatest joys of my life). Thing is i'm 16 so i can only have so much money and i am currently unemployed, and as we all know: "Good an't cheap, and cheap an't good".

Sounds like growing pains, don't worry, this "older" Stanger has gone through it too. My dad gave me the family car's repair manual when I got my drivers license. If I was going to drive it, I had to learn to fix it. As others have pointed out, don't forget to enjoy other things.

None: If it is any consolation, I feel your pain. When I was in 8th grade my parents moved back to the US after a 5 year stint in the middle east...all new friends. Then when I was in my jr year of high school I wrecked my 65 coupe (had to drive a 76 de ville) we moved 3000 miles to Washington state, all new friends for my senior year of high school, but I got a cool 67 out of the deal.

You are 16, get out there and meet some people who have the same interests as you, go join your local Mustang or hot rod club. You will meet other girls...don't worry.

I am sure some will be along to say that this should be in talk not tech and they will be right.

dolfan87 said:
Now for your strut rods. First soak the crap out of them with a penetrating oil like WD-40. Let them sit, and soak them again. Get yourself a 1/2" drive breaker bar, and just take those nuts right off. ;)

Note to everyone who reads this:

DO NOT!! *i repeat* DO NOT!!! use WD-40 to loosen bolts and nuts... it will not work, it may 'seem' to help, but it does not! WD-40 is a corrosion accellerant as in it speeds up the process of corrosion... there is this other stuff :fuss: :bang: :damnit: I always forget the name of it, but im sure someone on here knows what im talking about, its orange in color and has cartooney writing on the spray bottle... its great stuff, works oh so nicely. :nice: WD-40 stands for Water Displacement - 40 (the fortieth time they tried to get it right.. :rlaugh: ) anyway never ever ever use dubyadee-forty to aid frozen (rusted) nuts and bolts :nono:

69stang351 said:
Note to everyone who reads this:

DO NOT!! *i repeat* DO NOT!!! use WD-40 to loosen bolts and nuts... it will not work, it may 'seem' to help, but it does not! WD-40 is a corrosion accellerant as in it speeds up the process of corrosion... there is this other stuff :fuss: :bang: :damnit: I always forget the name of it, but im sure someone on here knows what im talking about, its orange in color and has cartooney writing on the spray bottle... its great stuff, works oh so nicely. :nice: WD-40 stands for Water Displacement - 40 (the fortieth time they tried to get it right.. :rlaugh: ) anyway never ever ever use dubyadee-forty to aid frozen (rusted) nuts and bolts :nono:

Gee, now I'm confused. Just bought a couple of cans of WD40 and on the front it claims to STOP SQUEAKS, CLEANS AND PROTECTS, LOOSENS RUSTED PARTS, FREES STICKY MECHANISMS AND DRIVES OUT MOISTURE. The back of the can even goes into further details. I know there are other lubricants out there, and I have actually found some that were better for lubrication, but to say DO NOT USE WD40 I think is a little misleading.

2nd Mustang said:
Gee, now I'm confused. Just bought a couple of cans of WD40 and on the front it claims to STOP SQUEAKS, CLEANS AND PROTECTS, LOOSENS RUSTED PARTS, FREES STICKY MECHANISMS AND DRIVES OUT MOISTURE. The back of the can even goes into further details. I know there are other lubricants out there, and I have actually found some that were better for lubrication, but to say DO NOT USE WD40 I think is a little misleading.

Thats quite interesting that the company that produces WD-40 would lie about their product... here is another thread that goes into detail about the effects of WD-40 and also has that product i was talking about... its called PB Blaster yes! thats the stuff excellent for freeing up frozen/rusted bolts/nuts :nice:

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=405816&highlight=wd-40