The Squeaky Wheel

redponyv8

Sep 26, 2011
Alabama
Literally I have a right rear wheel that has squeaked since I bought the car. I have replaced pads, rotors, the caliper. The tire shop says its not a bearing so Im at a loss what could it be? The pads are dragging I believe. I need some opinions and help.

• Sponsors (?)

The squeak has remained a constant even though you've replace the pads, rotors and caliper?

I don't see how the tire shop could rule out a bearing unless they've been replaced and the squeak remains. Sounds like you've replace the most likely culprits. Once the likely is eliminated it's time to move on to the less likely and then the improbable.

But I suspect the bearing will be a troublesome job.

Bearing is the next most likely culprit. Have the axle pulled and get it checked out. A bad bearing can be dangerous, it can chew into the axle itself. If that happens, a good bump can snap the axle.

Is it a constant squeak? Intermittent? Rhythmic?

Though probably not likely, I once had a right rear tpms come loose and start making some funny noises I couldn't quite track down. Then after awhile it let go completely and started banging around inside the tire. Eventually it stopped working completely and the warning light came on, thats how I finally found what was causing the mysterious noises.