The stang is sputtering. is it the tb positioning sensor?

charlesw6954

Founding Member
May 3, 2002
Mo
i was told to take carb cleaner and clean the tb position sensor, but i just want to make sure i was told correctly.

the symptoms are when i start giving it gas it'll start reving up (like normal) and stop reving and go really quick which isnt right.

• Sponsors (?)

Its not very cleanable, unless you figure out a way to take it apart and get it back together. It can be tested with an analog volt meter. It should range smoothly between about .5v to 5.0v. Key on Engine off. (KOEO) . I have never heard of one being cleaned, they are replaced if they test bad. I got an auto parts store to test mine for me. It can be tested off the car with an ohm meter. You just backprobe the BLK and the Green wires and move the throttle through its range slowly. My Haynes manual says that its beyond the scope of the home mechanic to adjust it, and doesnt tell you how. I recommend the Probst book and a good digital/analog volt ohm meter if you are to going to service your own car all the time, makes life easier and saves $.

I was wondering if you had the codes pulled? What codes did you get? Is this why you suspect the TPS? Thats what it is, throttle position sensor. It tells the puter how much you are stepping on the gas pedal, then the puter gives it more gas.

Jerry's right - pull the codes. That way, at least to start with, you won't have to guess at things. The diagnostic codes will often tell you exactly what's malfunctioning. The port is tied to the harness behind the driver's side strut tower. PepBoys or AutoZone will usually pull them for you for free.

this sucks every place i call say they can only pull the codes from 96 and up. also other places rent out them for $200. i also asked how much they cost and they go from $37 to $1** something. i dont have any money and dont get paid till next friday.

What should my idle be at? right now its at a low 700-800 rpms. to me thats low because it just shakes the car side to side like it has a big cam in it (which it dont).

while im on the subject about the car feeling like it has a cam. one of my friends is a 2 fast 2 furious ***get and thinks he knows alot about cars and he thinks my stang has a cam, thinks the engine is a 350, thinks it has 300hp, and when ever he asks me about nitrious he always says nos. he says nos was the original that came out before any other nitrious systems and that its the best also thinks my engine can handle a 300 shot. thats why i dont hang out with him.

oh i just remembered that he also says hes getting a rx8 and putting a turbo on it, 4inch exhaust, 250 shot of nos (as he says), and an intake. he thinks it will run 9's after that. thats exactly what he said to me. he is going to do this with no job. how funny hahhaha :lol:

My 88 lx is doing the same crap, idlein like **** and when i rev it it gives off a black smoke , real gassy smeel, would a Map sensor be screwin up or my o2 sensor wiring be messed up cuz ther person who had it before me rewired the 02;s cuz they werent hooked up?????

You can take it to a Kragen/Schucks/Checkers/BigWheelRossi auto parts they should have the AutoXray which does test the EEC-IV computer. I work at Schucks and have used it several times. Its a free test so its not a bad deal.