Mach 1 The tick...Yes I know.. :-)

LenMach1

Oct 25, 2005
Maryland
Hello all! I just bought an 04 Mach1 with about 11,000 miles on it. When i first drove the car I didnt notice any tick but lately it is getting worse. The only thing I did was change the oil to Mobil1 Fully Synthetic. Anyway, the ticking gets louder when I shift at low rpms. For example when I shift into
3rd at low rpms it is louder the harder I hit the gas. It is starting to piss me off. Anyway I have searched over and over and it seems like it can be a number of things... I popped my hood with the engine running and sniffed around, I did notice that on the drivers side near the battery I didnt smell or feel any type of air. But when I went to the passenger side I noticed an exhaust smell. When driving it seems like the tick is coming from the passenger side too. Im thinkin its just an exhaust leak near the headers. But why would it all of a sudden appear after 11,000 miles? There are flowmasters on the car but I dont think there are aftermarket headers installed. Thanks for hearin me out on this one! Any suggestions? Thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)

Do a search on www.mach1registry.com I think you'll find tons of info on this.

I also recently purchased an 04 mach 1 and I heard the tick the other day also, but it went away so I don't know......If you still have the warranty take it to the dealership and have them check it out because I think there was a ford service bulletin for a "tick" on the Mach 1 engine.

Ahh, the tick

Don't worry bro, consider it an initiation to the Mach. We all heard it and Mine went away. My ONLY point in this thread is that you are driving your Mach like Granny.

Cut that crap out. You have a High Performance machine which is built to be revved. If you keep shifting at low RPM's you are gonna ruin your motor. The Mach LOVES 3000+ RPM's, shift no lower. If you do shift lower, please trade it or sale it to someone who knows how to drive it.

If you think I am full of it, keep driving like you do and keep complaining about every little sound. It will never end for you. Or, drive it like I say and enjoy the true Mach experience the way it was built to be felt and your worries will go away. I promise.

BTW, I know someone who would love to buy your ride if you don't want it.

BurlyStang said:
Cut that crap out. You have a High Performance machine which is built to be revved. If you keep shifting at low RPM's you are gonna ruin your motor. The Mach LOVES 3000+ RPM's, shift no lower. If you do shift lower, please trade it or sale it to someone who knows how to drive it.

:Word: Heh heh heh, I like this guy....

We should meet up sometime, man. Do ya'll have any Mach or Mustang meets down there any time? Cause up here in A-town there's nothing like that, which sucks...... I'm gonna be down there at TSP tomorrow getting my car dynoed for the first time to see what she's putting down with what i've got.

sajoseph said:
You can buy mine!:hail2:

If you are serious, PM me, I have a buyer. As long as you haven't raped it or broke it with a bunch of BS bolt-on's, consider it sold.

As far as meets, it's about the same here at The Hub as it is up North. Most of the "Mustang Guys" around here are snobs that want you to tell them how bad-azzed their rides are.

I'm not into that. I'm into parking in front of Hooters, checking each other's rides, wings and beer, then a nice cruise down 82nd. I haven't run into any of those types yet. I know they are around here, but I just haven't come across them. But, I'm working on it.

I do have a friend with an '03 Cobra Vert who would be down with that kind of fun, but he is the only one I know.