The To Do's before buying a Supercharger

In the long run in buying aftermarket parts for my car, I'm thinking in buying a supercharger. Probably no Intercooler, inless you can convence me otherwise. What would you recommend I do to the engine before buying a Supercharger?

• Sponsors (?)

A good free flowing intake/exhaust is the most important step. I bought a KB (roots) blower so i saved some money by not having to buy an intake manifold. Heads make a big difference on a N/A car, and a HUGE difference on a blown car. If you are using a centrifugal blower, i'd go with some low gears, of course they should be the first mod you do anyway. :nice:

Definitely Exhaust...exhaust....exhaust!!! :nice:
Also, you are gonna wanna upgrade your igintion for a more powerful spark...
What else, fuel system of course.
Since you are introducing more air into the mixture, you will want more fuel, and better spark...
And if you have a stock suspension, you will definitely want to consider some upgrades. I am running my set up on a mostly stock suspenion, and the word "traction" :shrug: is no longer in my vocabulary.
It is still a blast to drive... :banana:
Some people do suspension, followed by engine work, others do the opposite.

obviously make sure your fuel and ignition is up to the task but i recomend a compression test also....no point in putting 30 pounds of boost into an engine if it only runs on half its cylinders :nice:

First - I'd be certain that my tires and brakes were in good order - especially the brakes. You'll need them. :)

Why don't you want to intercool it? Compressing the air also heats it up -- significantly. All else equal, the hotter the intake air, the less power to the tune of 1/2% to 1% for every 10F increase in intake air temp. Temps off the compressor can easily run in the 200F-250F range - or even higher. The intercooler takes those temps way back down. Not only does it help with power production, the lower the intake charge temp, the less of a problem detonation is - which means more timing and a less fat a/f ratio can be run = more power. If you have to be 'convinced', then you must not fully understand what's happening anytime the intake charge is compressed above atmospheric pressure.

RICKYB-30 Lbs *&*&((&&R*##($#I ?????????????????????? ru crazy? maybe non-intercooled 8 at the most and he would have to worry to death about detanation. intercooled 10-12 easy with no fear of det. I would suggest if u want to go the S/C Route ATI. as stated above suspension upper/lowers some nice street slicks 3.08 gears maybe something close to stock maybe a bit more. and a whole lot of dyno time.