The Ultimate Headrest Removal Tool

Discussion in 'SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech' started by codyGT, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Well after reading around everyone says to use a hacksaw blade or to open the seat up.

Here is a way to do it in 30 seconds per seat. And There is no way to tear anything at all.

Go to Menards/Lowes/Home Depot and buy some extra large zip ties. The nice beefy ones that can double as Hand Cuffs.

Now take sand paper or a grinder to one side of a tie. Make it 1/4 of an inch.

Now slide it right down the grove in the headrest rail and slide it down until it stops. Hold it there and push the headrest down a little as you slide it in more. Now pull up. :nice:
  2. I'll have to give it a try. I've been wanting to get those things off so I could remove my seatbelt guides.
  3. Seatbelt guides are the worst design ever, I thought about just cutting them off after getting the seatbelt all twisted 20 times ugggggghhhhh!!! :notnice:
  4. I've been trying to figure out how to remove that @$%# thing.
  5. he meant to sand the tie until it was 1/4 inch thick.
  6. I removed the bunny ears using the bit. Holding it down with a finger and turning it with pliers. It would be much easier without the headrests. Speeking of headrests, anyone know where i can get the larger pillowy headrests that were on some of the 03's for a good price. I have the tube shaped headrest and I hate them. Or anyone know what else ford/lincoln models have interchangeable headrests.

I don't understand the sand paper/grinder part where you said make it 1/4 inch. :shrug: :shrug:
  7. I removed the ears usiong a torx bit from my screwdriver inside a 1/4in socket on my 1/4in drive ratchet. Took about 5 minutes to get both off.
  8. my craftsman screwdriver bit ratchet worked fine
  9. Take the plastic zip tie and sand it until it is close to 1/4".

It also works best if you go under the black slider guide. Just push the top of the seat down and it's alot easier.
  10. What size bit did you use??
  11. I found your post just before I went absolutely postal. Just finished putting new seat covers on and was bolting seat down when I noticed I put the dang headrest on the wrong seat/ seat belt guide. So now I'm trying every imaginable thing to get the headrest off. I'm about to lose it, no wait a minute someone else had this happen to There it was it all its wonderful glory, the 30 second fix to cure my past 2 hours of anger management. I even had the zip tie handy because I work on HVAC systems and use them all the time. Trim trim on the edge of the zip tie, slide down, when the zip tie stops, slide the headrest down a little, pull up, bada boom, bada bing I like my mustang again.
    I joined this forum just to thank you. lol.