The Ultimate Headrest Removal Tool

codyGT

Apr 11, 2004
Nebraska
Well after reading around everyone says to use a hacksaw blade or to open the seat up.

Here is a way to do it in 30 seconds per seat. And There is no way to tear anything at all.

Go to Menards/Lowes/Home Depot and buy some extra large zip ties. The nice beefy ones that can double as Hand Cuffs.

Now take sand paper or a grinder to one side of a tie. Make it 1/4 of an inch.

Now slide it right down the grove in the headrest rail and slide it down until it stops. Hold it there and push the headrest down a little as you slide it in more. Now pull up. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

I removed the bunny ears using the bit. Holding it down with a finger and turning it with pliers. It would be much easier without the headrests. Speeking of headrests, anyone know where i can get the larger pillowy headrests that were on some of the 03's for a good price. I have the tube shaped headrest and I hate them. Or anyone know what else ford/lincoln models have interchangeable headrests.

I don't understand the sand paper/grinder part where you said make it 1/4 inch. :shrug: :shrug:

Well after reading around everyone says to use a hacksaw blade or to open the seat up.

Here is a way to do it in 30 seconds per seat. And There is no way to tear anything at all.

Go to Menards/Lowes/Home Depot and buy some extra large zip ties. The nice beefy ones that can double as Hand Cuffs.

Now take sand paper or a grinder to one side of a tie. Make it 1/4 of an inch.

Now slide it right down the grove in the headrest rail and slide it down until it stops. Hold it there and push the headrest down a little as you slide it in more. Now pull up. :nice:
I found your post just before I went absolutely postal. Just finished putting new seat covers on and was bolting seat down when I noticed I put the dang headrest on the wrong seat/ seat belt guide. So now I'm trying every imaginable thing to get the headrest off. I'm about to lose it, no wait a minute someone else had this happen to them....google. There it was it all its wonderful glory, the 30 second fix to cure my past 2 hours of anger management. I even had the zip tie handy because I work on HVAC systems and use them all the time. Trim trim on the edge of the zip tie, slide down, when the zip tie stops, slide the headrest down a little, pull up, bada boom, bada bing I like my mustang again.
I joined this forum just to thank you. lol.