There has to be a trick to this!?

Hi foks!
I am in the process of repainting the dash of my 66 pony. Most of the knobs and bezels came off without too much of a challenge, other than the ignition switch. I have a couple of books with detailed instructions for removing the puppy, both sets of instructions are slightly different. Here is what I have tried:1- Insert key, turn to ACC and insert paper clip. Turn key clockwise and pull out switch..no luck, bends paper clip.
2-Same as above but remove the paper clip before turning clockwise. Still no luck.
3-Insert key then paper clip then turn to ACC then turn clockwise-no dice either.

Switch will losen and feel like it is going to release when following above steps but only budges about a quarter to half an inch.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

The key is only supposed to turn a little more beyond the ACC position, then pulls out, the detent can be tricky, if you push the paper clip in too much, then it gets caught as you turn the key.

Try applying slight pressure to turn the key and then gently pushing the paperclip in just enough to release the detent...