There is oil in my coolant, please help!

tpohlmann said:
hi, my name is tim. My 97 gt is in about the same predicament. I was driving to work the other day and I noticed that mt car was missing on the drivers side of the car. I didn't think much of it andwent on the work and went home. I thought I may have foud a spark plug because I had put a can of sea foam in my gas take to get rid of built up carbon that might be there. but any way, got home and checked my oil and it was 4 quarts low and the antifreeze is really dark in color. I got to looking and noticed there is a crack in the intake on the passenger side in the temp. switch or pressure switch. the crack is in the intake were the swich screws in. there is fluid running off the intake and collecting on top of the heads under the the intake. If anyone knows what may have caused this. please let me know.

I am getting ready to to do a head swap, but I have not all the pieces to do the swap all at one time.

thanks Tim

Hey Tim, there has been many issues with intakes cracking on the 4.6
Just do a search on here and you'll find hudreds of old threads about it.
As I have already said in an earlier post, you will not get oil in the coolent from a cracked intake or from bad intake gasket. If the coolent is dirty looking it would be b/c of rust and/or contaminants.

• Sponsors (?)

SilverBullet00 said:
hey SVTTECH, I got a question for ya- The dealership said that I could have a blown intake gasket and that could cause oil to get into the coolant... how is that?

I have never seen that on a modular.. the oil and coolant passages are kind of far apart.. I would think you would notice a hell of a lot of smoking and performance loss with a head gasket that bad.

SilverBullet00 said:
Is there any kind of break in period for the head gaskets, cams, or header gaskets?
No break in is needed for gaskets but the cams need to be broken in properly.
As soon as you start the engine hold the rpms at 1500 to 3000 rpm. Vary the rpm up and down in this rpm range during the first 15 to 20 minutes, (do not run the engine at a steady rpm). This is to suppy enough oil pressure to get oil up into the cams so they are lubed properly. I also recommend not reving to redline for roughly 500 miles, that's about it.:nice:

svttech76 said:
I have never seen that on a modular.. the oil and coolant passages are kind of far apart.. I would think you would notice a hell of a lot of smoking and performance loss with a head gasket that bad.

WOW I misread your post.. I thought you said HEADGASKETS...

Intake gaskets thats impossible there is no oil passages in the intake.

sweet, thanks guys. Tomorrow is the day she will run again. I got the new cams in tonight so tomorrow I will have to put the timing cover on with the valve covers and change the fluids and im done! Should I flash the computer with the new tune before or after I rev the motor for 20 min?

Well I got the head gaskets replaced and when I was putting it back together the cams showed up! So it was a pretty easy install. After everything was back together, I loaded the tune and started her up- she fired right up on the first try. When reving the motor i noticed the RPMS hang quite a bit, especially around 2000rpm's. When i finally took it for a drive the car felt GREAT but when I pulled up to the first stop sign the car shoots up to 2000 rpms! after I pause at the stop sign it goes back down to 1200rpm which is still a little high.. whats the deal? somethng wrong with the tune or does the car just need to be driven more?