Thermostat And Engine Cooling Code P1285 (2002 Mustang V6)

dta5207

Jun 26, 2012
Two problems I want to DIY:

1. My AC has been taking forever to kick in. It blows cold, but only after a while. Yesterday my vehicle threw the P1285 code at me. The Auto Zone guy said that it might be the ECT sensor (or cylinder head craked... doubt it). From reading these forums, I think it is the thermostat. The engine temp is fine. Middle of the range on the console. Will replacing that potentially fix the code and help the AC be normal?

2. The passenger side exhust manifold has been making noise for a while. Its like a mini exhust sound that goes away after 2 minutes. I think that the gasket needs replacing. I want to DIY. My now ex-machanic said he will not do it because "Ford designed this car to be impossible to work on. The offset the engine to the right so you have to bring it in to the dealer". Thoughts?

Thanks all!

• Sponsors (?)

Your mechanic is stupid................these cars are EASY to work on, duh! The coolant temp issue will have no impact on the A/C operation, might need to be fully charged up to work as it should. If the head gasket is cracked then the exhaust will have white smoke all of the time and you will lose coolant causing the radiator to be low.