Things I've learned from the forum...

ghostang93

Mar 26, 2007
Pace, FL
I've lurked for a long time but don't post very often. There are a lot more knowledgeable guys around than me, so I let them at it. I've finally been able to fix a lot of my driveablity problems so I thought I'd actually put these down. My car was running like crap...more like a radical 9 sec car than the mild 12 sec HCI car it is. Idle issues all over the map, rich idle, smoke at WOT, etc...

1. Codes, run them! It can usually be a roadmap, or at least rule things out
2. EGR valve, it really does make a difference to the computer
3. MSD still likes to fail
4. Stock airbox > cone filter
5. Don't forget to check for mechanically issues!
a. Rocker arm off of #1
b. Broken throttle shaft on TB
c. Vacuum issues
6. Tires can make or break the ride of a car
7. PCV it's there for a reason too

That's all I can remember off the top of my head.... I'll add more as I can recall. When you start fixing the problems it just makes it nicer to drive = wanting to drive it more often. Just in time for the best weather to drive :nice:

Edit: Now if I can just get A/C back in and fix the start-up belt squeal....

• Sponsors (?)

Practically everything I know about these cars I have learned on this forum. I know way more than I did back when I first bought my 89 Gt, which now if I knew now what I knew then, I never would have even looked at haha. That car was a pile.. but it was also a great way to learn things on as well. ANYWAY, this forum rocks, and all the guys here know there stuff. Hooray for Stangnet!! :SNSign:

When i joined this forum, i didn't know 1/10th of what i know now. I can't credit this forum for solely teaching me what i know (mostly it was all hands on learning and friends) but if you lurk long enough, you will learn something in between the constant shenanigans.

This forum will give you the tools you need to succeed, but until you actually go out and do it on your car, it'll just be a broken hunk of crap in your driveway. Especially broken.

I learned that changing the blinker fluid in a blinker with high mileage can actually cause more harm than good. If anything, you should drain the fluid into a clean container, perform all necessary blinker repairs (canooter valve, flux capacitor, decelematrix, accelerometer, etc.) and refill it with the old fluid. Keep reading and keep learning! :nice: