Things you hate about auto repair...

poneypower89

Now everyone in the world will know I wanna bang t
Dec 6, 2004
Indianapolis, Indiana
Mine?

Thinking you are doing a normal maintence deal... only to find out every single part is rusted to hell and nothing wants to budge. A 1/2 hour job is turned into a 3 hour job.

Case in point.. the rear rotors on my DD will just not budge at the moment. Thought I would be completely done by now.. but im still working on getting the first rotor off. :nonono:

• Sponsors (?)

To me it's always the angles that drive me nuts. Trying to find that "sweet spot" on where to put what wrench to get the best angle on a nut or bolt. You end up moving the wrench around so many times trying to get the right angle.

Things i hate about auto repair???

FIXING OTHER PEOPLES CARS!!!!

Sure, it was fun when i was younger, but now i don't have the time. I hate when people learn i can work on cars and want me to take a peek at their car. Then they give me something like "The engine shakes a little, or the window won't go down". If it's a Mustang it's one thing since i know them well and can find wiring diagrams and such, but i'm not spending 2 hours looking for wiring diagrams online to go out of my way and replace a power window motor and not get paid for it.

So now i limit myself to working on my own Mustang, a select few friend's Mustangs, and maybe doing oil changes for my family. Everyone else can go pay a mechanic.

I agree everyone asks me whats wrong with their cars and almost get annoyed when I dont know. I dont know why your 1992 G20 is making a clicking noise, and personally I dont care. Pay someone who does it for a living! I too only work on friends Mustangs and other "toy" cars so Im not outing someone of their daily driver in case we dont get it fixed!

FIXING OTHER PEOPLES CARS!!!!

I don't mind friends and family if I can help, but random acquaintances - noooo. I despise working on my own stuff half the time, so forget it!

I HATEE maintenance work on any car. I dont mind modding, upgrading, making better, I hattee fixing something that went bad! Its a lot of money, time and effort, to just make it work again!

That's exactly my reasoning :lol: Sure it has to work again, but...it worked before and now I have to spend time/money/effort to get back to square one.

Auto repair does suck. I do it for a living, and manage a shop. I try not to get involved in major driveline repair at my shop though... Doing a head gasket = 1200 bucks and sometimes 2 days.... But someone comes in with ****ed up brakes = 1000 dollars and 2-3 hours. Which would you choose? :)

mansonozz said:
Half the time I run into the same problems as I do with general repair. Actually I think I have more stupid "things don't go as they should" problems when I mod vs. when I do upkeep.

yeah same here, but after it's all said and through, i'm happier after i do a mod. :D

Fett said:
To me it's always the angles that drive me nuts. Trying to find that "sweet spot" on where to put what wrench to get the best angle on a nut or bolt. You end up moving the wrench around so many times trying to get the right angle.

that drives me CRAZY!!!!! :bang: :bang: :bang:

Mustang5L5 said:
I hate when people learn i can work on cars and want me to take a peek at their car. Then they give me something like "The engine shakes a little, or the window won't go down". If it's a Mustang it's one thing since i know them well and can find wiring diagrams and such, but i'm not spending 2 hours looking for wiring diagrams online to go out of my way and replace a power window motor and not get paid for it.

same here man...i try to be a good guy when i can but it gets old after a while.

wow i thought i was the only one who hated maintenance but i like modding. i will rip out my interior to replace carpet but i hate doing just the thermostat on my ranger. the rack just went on my dads car and i really didn't want to help him but i did a little bit cause i felt bad, but when it comes to the mustang i will spend hours working on it and not mind one bit

I hate:

busted knuckles
not having the right tools
not having enough time
not getting the parts i want when i need them
installing anything with a gasket only to find that it leaks after installation
getting dirty
doing oil changes....this one is funny because i'll do pretty much anything to my car but i can't stand doing oil changes, i usually take it somewhere and supervise the whole operation. If they won't let me watch they don't get my business.

Aside from that i can't stand anything that i would consider "unnecessary"....like a wrench slipping off a bolt, or rust/dirt falling into your eyes when you're under the car, dropping a socket down onto the K member...I also can't stand doing any mod that takes more than 1 day....if i can build the engine and get it in all in one day, then that's what i want.

story of the weekend. i put one of those high torque mini starters in my car, and jeez it took a long time (maybe because i haven't REALLY wrenched fore a few months) it took like 3hours to do what should have taken like 45 minutes. i despised the underside of my car so much that i actually got the oil changed at a place i used to work. i know i know i suck, but i just didn't feel like climbing under my car again, even if it was only gonna take like 15 minutes lol.