Think twice before installing subframe connectors

livenfine

Jun 9, 2003
I think I may have made a mistake when I added MM full length subframes. I love 'em they tighten up the car but now I am cannot stay in the ESP class in the SCCA for autocross. Since the install I've found out that you can have a roll bar installed to the subframe that will tighten the car's chassis and stay legal in ESP :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

I don't get it?????? Are you saying the subframes don't work? Then you say you can add a roll bar and join it to your subframes. Do subframes add stability to the floor or not????? Why won't SCCA accept them?

That sucks. I personally wish I didn't spend the money on mine. After I put Bilsteins on, the ride was SO tight and perfect that the subs barely added anything. Sure I might reduce some flex, but I don't race, autoX, or anything. My car is just for street use. Live and learn :p

mansonozz, my vert was totally stock when i added subframes on. it made a night and day difference! when i used to go over railroad tracks i could feel the car twisting as each tire went over the tracks. no more since i added the subframes :nice: i'm suprised yours didn't make much difference....

It can't be said enough, well-crafted subframes are an absolutely essentially addition to any FOX based chasis. You need to eliminate chassis flex to let the suspension do it's job. I'm so happy I put mine on 5 years ago, and with jacking rails, and some other bracing, it's made a world of difference.

PonyBoy90 said:
I don't get it?????? Are you saying the subframes don't work? Then you say you can add a roll bar and join it to your subframes. Do subframes add stability to the floor or not????? Why won't SCCA accept them?

Sorry for the confusion, subframes help stiffen the chassis-no question about that. For autocross, I was hoping to stay in the ESP class, (street-prepared), but recently found out that the ESP class doesn't allow SFCs for '87-93 Mustangs. A speed shop in Seattle can custom make a 6 pt rollbar that ties to the subframes, (front and back), which stiffen like an SFC but are considered legal because of safety reasons.

If you not going to race, no sweat. If you are you should research these sort of things first. No SFCs, no gears lower than 3.27, no internal engine changes, etc for the ESP class.

jadedinpa said:
mansonozz, my vert was totally stock when i added subframes on. it made a night and day difference! when i used to go over railroad tracks i could feel the car twisting as each tire went over the tracks. no more since i added the subframes :nice: i'm suprised yours didn't make much difference....

Like I said, I added my Bilsteins first. THEY made a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE difference!! Un-freakin-believable ride from those :nice: :nice:

I'm hearing you bro. The rules are just completely crazy. I just got my 93 with intentions to AutoX. Before I read the class info, I got the MM full lengths on too with some 3.55 gears. Woops... Oh well. For me it is just for fun anyway. What did you pay to have yours installed BTW?

Morlock said:
I'm hearing you bro. The rules are just completely crazy. I just got my 93 with intentions to AutoX. Before I read the class info, I got the MM full lengths on too with some 3.55 gears. Woops... Oh well. For me it is just for fun anyway. What did you pay to have yours installed BTW?

It's just for fun, but it makes it funner if you are competitive. I bought MM full lengths and paid 3 hours labor to have them installed. 3X$60=$180 ouch

subframes?

livenfine said:
I think I may have made a mistake when I added MM full length subframes. I love 'em they tighten up the car but now I am cannot stay in the ESP class in the SCCA for autocross. Since the install I've found out that you can have a roll bar installed to the subframe that will tighten the car's chassis and stay legal in ESP :bang:

I have a 99 Cobra and was moved from ESP because of the Matrix braces and Jacking rails on my KB suspension not the subframes. The subframes were simply replacements for the original Ford ones.The DC chapter was very clear that the subframes were legal but the Matrix and Jacking moved me to a modified class. I'd check into this if I were you.

woah on the rumors about mods for AutoX

livenfine said:
Sorry for the confusion, subframes help stiffen the chassis-no question about that. For autocross, I was hoping to stay in the ESP class, (street-prepared), but recently found out that the ESP class doesn't allow SFCs for '87-93 Mustangs. A speed shop in Seattle can custom make a 6 pt rollbar that ties to the subframes, (front and back), which stiffen like an SFC but are considered legal because of safety reasons.

If you not going to race, no sweat. If you are you should research these sort of things first. No SFCs, no gears lower than 3.27, no internal engine changes, etc for the ESP class.

There is nothing in the "SCCA National Solo" Rules regarding rear axle ratios for Street Prepared. See pages 89-104 of the 2003 rule book.

The Prisoner said:
There is nothing in the "SCCA National Solo" Rules regarding rear axle ratios for Street Prepared. See pages 89-104 of the 2003 rule book.

I'll get the rulebook out about rear axle ratios. As far as subframe connectors, the fox bodied stang did not come with SFCs nor are they authorized by Ford. If anyone knows this to be incorrect, I would love to hear about it :hail2:

Hi,
I was deciding which suspension items to start with. Is your info on ESP allowing subframes with a roll bar from the SCCA? I have a 2002 rule book that did not allow subframes. Could you give me the details?
Thanks

QUOTE=livenfine]I think I may have made a mistake when I added MM full length subframes. I love 'em they tighten up the car but now I am cannot stay in the ESP class in the SCCA for autocross. Since the install I've found out that you can have a roll bar installed to the subframe that will tighten the car's chassis and stay legal in ESP :bang:[/QUOTE]