Thinkin about a 150 shot

Numbles

Dec 10, 2003
Chicago, IL
I very rarely see alot of people with sn-95's using nitrous. After doing some reading in the nitrous forums on the corral ive taken some interest into this power adder.

What shot are you guy on this forum running? and what type of performance (#'s) are you getting out of it?

If I were to run a 150 shot on my motor, probably saving the spray untill 2nd, would a 12.99 or better be reachable.

My mods are in my sig. There is also a Edelbrock Performer intake within driving distance from my house for $300. And a NX kit as well. Comes with 2 bottles, yatta, yatta. Thats goin for a very good price. :p I thinking about getting both.

Id like to be able to spray from 1st through 4th. Would a 100 shot be better to hook in 1st. I honestly have no traction issues with my car. Stock 100+ suspension with shocks that are probably jelly right now really contribute to killer weight transfer.

I dunno, Just tryin to start a discussion on nitrous. And what it capabilities are. The more and more I think about it. The more and more I want it.

• Sponsors (?)

Hey I just live a bit north of you. I've got a performer for sale if your interested. Also, an ecam and some edelbrock performer heads that need lots of work (but I'd sell the heads for dirt cheap). Just curious where in chicago do you live (cross streets)? I'd love to find a local buyer. Oh, back to the task at hand. I hear about 125 is as high as you want to go on the stock bottom end. Some people run 150 shots but if you do dont do it often and also most people who do run that much plan on getting a new motor eventually so I would stay away from that much nitrous. Also, what kinds traction are we talking about. On street tires it would be wheelspin city with a 150 shot.

I think you'll be fine BUT you're gonna have to retard your timing 3 or 4 degrees minimum. There's a guy on here that runs a 125 shot with almost identical mods as you and it took 1.1 seconds off his time, he went from a 14.3 to a 13.2. If you get the performer, I could see you in the hunt for 12.99.

With that said, you'll also need a new fuel pump and adjustable fpr. And it sucks to have to change your timing around all the time so I would think you'd want one of those fancy shmancy MSD ignitions where you can change timing on a whim. So while it seems cheap at first, its really not.

gostang, I live a block south of the diversy,lincoln,racine intersection. How much do you want for the intake.

I remember there were a couple of guys on the corral that have run 200 shots on stock bottom ends for a couple of seasons. But Like me, the bottle wil be in the garage untill track night. Well, maybe. But 200 is a little crazy. By mid summer my motor budget will be where I want it and Im looking into a 393 from CHP. so I really dont care abut this motor.

Black95, was that a wet kit or dry kit. How much ET will I shave off but going with wet over dry?

I have a 125shot compucar wet kit (older n2o company) on my stock engine with only mods of pullies, 3.73's, msd digital6+, K&N, and a catback I went 14.3 N/A @ like 98ish, then on the 125 shot I went 13.1 @ 107 with a 1.9 60ft (spinning like crazy in 1st and 2nd). I think that with a good 60ft (1.6-1.7) I could have ran mid-high 12s with that mph.

I would rec. a msd digital6+ since it has a timing retard that when you give it 12v it will take out retard timing (you set how much on the box), this way I could run 14* driving around, and then when I flipped the switch the 12v source activated the retard and safe spraying.

I had no problems with the 125 shot (well none that were not my fault), but if you go to a 150 I would rec a bigger pump, and even at 125 it would not be a bad idea.

Numbles said:
gostang, I live a block south of the diversy,lincoln,racine intersection. How much do you want for the intake.

I remember there were a couple of guys on the corral that have run 200 shots on stock bottom ends for a couple of seasons. But Like me, the bottle wil be in the garage untill track night. Well, maybe. But 200 is a little crazy. By mid summer my motor budget will be where I want it and Im looking into a 393 from CHP. so I really dont care abut this motor.

Black95, was that a wet kit or dry kit. How much ET will I shave off but going with wet over dry?

As far as I know, its a dry kit. I don't have juice in my stang, but I went through a phase about a month ago where I was all about getting it. Deciding factor was that there are no shops near me to refill it without driving 2 hours each way.

I honestly couldn't tell you what the difference would be by going from dry to wet. Probably not enough to warrant the large PITA it would take to do it, especially if you dont care about the motor.

I spray 6 inches off the line on street tires. I used to spray the 100 shot from the line if the track was sticky.

Is it terrible for the motor? I've been spraying mine for 2 years now and it has 165k on the ticker. :shrug: You tell me.

Oh, and I agree totally that you should start with the lowest setting and then work your way up on the juice as you feel comfortable.

Here's a little page I threw together as a sample tutorial for my guys in my club. I'm building a racing tutorial section in a database. Kind of a newbie guide to racing. It's not the best sample, but it'll do until I can improve it. There is a link at the bottom that takes you to my personal site with movies from my first night with nitrous.

http://100mphclub.com/b_pages/tutorials/zex.htm

I'm not some motorhead either.... even though I wish I was. My car is just kinda famous for "consistantly" gaining a large amount of time from the juice. It's not a freak either, my buddy made similar numbers with his Zex kit. I did gain about 3 tenths more than him as I reached the same speed, but started slower.

Thanks! The stall didn't work out... got sent the wrong one this time. :bang: But they are taking good care of me... just have to wait a bit longer.

I should have videos when I get back Sunday night. We'll see if the stock stall and stickies will get me there. :D

Gcomfx, what RPM's are you launching at with the stock stall? I feel like if I was able to launch mine at 2500 it would run quite a bit better. Are you able to launch that high in the R's?

Sorry numbles bout hijacking your thread.

Stalling up does nothing for my car with the stock one in it. Actually it slows it down. I go from a dead idle, get 6 inches off the line on street tires and nail the juice. It'll turn them once hook and go.

I've never launched like this on stickies and the 125 shot. So I may have to try a few things to get my 12. As long as I don't shell the driveshaft, I should make it.

If I had a 5 speed like numbles I would mount the switch really close to the shifter or my other hand. You don't have a whole lot of time in my car to hit the button and then manual shift to second, so I would be ten times tougher to do that in a 5-speed.... or activate it and not hit WOT til you hooked up so the kit would turn on then. Again something he'll have to figure out what works best for his car. Which is why I agree on the recomendation to start on a small shot and work his way up.

on my 13.1 pass I ran 245x50x16 street tires, I tried an idea I had for launch, I did not purge the system and sprayed off the line. There was a few sec. of no hit and I think thats how I got a good 60ft of 1.9 with street tires (the video showed I had no grip as I spun,spun,spun) and then it just kicked in (were the spinning started).

I plan on starting with a 50 shot and working my way up from there.

gcomfx I have a few questions about the zex kit. Are you using a wet or dry setup?

Plus I read on you site, which had some great info. That the zek kit will automatically up the shot to compensate for lower bottle pressure. So your always running the same shot. Did I read that correctly. And what the most you can get out of that kit. Possibly 150? But honestly the only thing holding me back from that kit is how ugly it is. :shrug: Thats just me. Purple is no bueno. Thats why Im leaning towards an NX kit.

Numbles said:
I plan on starting with a 50 shot and working my way up from there.

gcomfx I have a few questions about the zex kit. Are you using a wet or dry setup?

Plus I read on you site, which had some great info. That the zek kit will automatically up the shot to compensate for lower bottle pressure. So your always running the same shot. Did I read that correctly. And what the most you can get out of that kit. Possibly 150? But honestly the only thing holding me back from that kit is how ugly it is. :shrug: Thats just me. Purple is no bueno. Thats why Im leaning towards an NX kit.

I'm running a dry kit.... wet wasn't available when I got mine. I would go wet if I had to buy another kit now. Which would be good for you too, since the new box is smaller... (less purple). The kits are only rated at 125... and you'll find that if you want one bottle to make it a night at the track the 125 will cut you close enough. If I had jets for a 150 shot I wouldn't run it. 125 is a HUGE increase, and I'm not sure my stock high mileage motor would take another 25 from the bottle. If I add heads and a cam, I'll got back to the 75 shot for a while to make sure it'll handle it and work my way back up if I feel confident the motor is still hanging in there.

Before I put the adj. regulator and bigger fuel pump, I could FEEL the 100 shot was the limit. The 125 would have broke something. No doubt in my mind. It was too hard to keep it from leaning out.

About the bottle pressure thing - I'm not 100% sure how it works.

"Worlds Only "Smart" Nitrous System:
Uses actual bottle pressure to regulate the nitrous to fuel ratio, always optimizing the mix. Never too rich, never too lean!"

But I do know I've raced in the middle of winter and while yes there was a slight loss in power due to the temps being 30 degrees outside.... my nitrous kit still worked where my buddies with NOS, and Compu Car didn't do a thing. I have NO bottle warmer. NO purge.... hell I don't even have a NOS guage. :rlaugh:

Also most kits you can feel when you are at the end of the bottle.... some say you get down to the last few pounds and you are done (might as well call the bottle an 8 lber) Not with mine...... it goes til it's dry. My car even gets a small kick off just the compressed air. :D